Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #43
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I don''t like not having fog/driving lights when you get the RS option. That's B/S!

-Bob George
I agree, but they are complying with federal law (ie: DRL). The halos likely don't meet the requirements and you don't want the HIDs on all the time.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #44
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I agree, but they are complying with federal law (ie: DRL). The halos likely don't meet the requirements and you don't want the HIDs on all the time.
You guys lost me. I have $1,100 xenon lights in my Audi S4 and I have fog lamps. I love the xenon. And they work great with the fog lamps.

Does Camaro 2SS have fog lamps? What about RS?
What is HID? Xenon bulb or the ring? Or both?

I found oem HIDs for $600 per light.
Attached Images

CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
You guys lost me. I have $1,100 xenon lights in my Audi S4 and I have fog lamps. I love the xenon. And they work great with the fog lamps.

Well thought and common sense went into the Audi. On the camaro if you have the RS package the fog lights are the DRL and when you turn the headlights on the fog lights turn off. So you can't have both at the same time.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #46
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Well thought and common sense went into the Audi. On the camaro if you have the RS package the fog lights are the DRL and when you turn the headlights on the fog lights turn off. So you can't have both at the same time.
That's absurd.

So what is HID vs Halo or are they the same thing?

In other words if I replace my stock headlamp assemblies with HID assemblies will I get the halo ring or is the ring something different?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
That's absurd.

So what is HID vs Halo or are they the same thing?

In other words if I replace my stock headlamp assemblies with HID assemblies will I get the halo ring or is the ring something different?
The HID refers to the headlight bulb, the halos are LEDs, you cannot directly swap out the regular halogen units for the HID halos from the RS package. You would need the HID ballasts and also the correct wiring harness to hook up the halos, unless you direct wire them. There are threads on here with instructions on what you need to do for the swap.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #48
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
There is no federal law for DRLs in the US. There are many cars still sold without them.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

Why is it so hard for you to understand the difference between HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps and the halo rings? Have you seen a picture of these lights?

Do you further understand that the RS appearance package is a standalone appearance package that is added onto a 1SS or 2SS Camaro at the time of ordering? You can also order the RS appearance package on 1LT's and 2LT's I BELIEVE.

If you order a 1SS or 2SS and do not add the RS appearance package, your car will have normal (yellow) halogen headlamps. If you choose the RS appearance package for your 1SS or 2SS, your Camaro will come with HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps that feature a separate "halo" ring that surrounds the headlamp. The ring is strictly for cosmetic appearance ONLY and serves no practical purpose.

If you select the RS appearance package, your Camaro will NOT come with fog lamps. In place of fog lamps, you get low intensity DRL's (daytime running lights). These DRL's have absolutely zero manual control, and are NOT foglights.

If you do not select the RS appearance package, your Camaro will come with normal halogen headlamps, as well as real fog lamps that can be turned on and off. Your halogen headlamps serve as your DRL's (daytime running lights) in this configuration.

Do you understand that HID and "xenon" headlamps are the same thing?

There are numerous aftermarket HID/xenon headlamp options that can be installed in place of your Camaros halogen headlamps should you elect to not choose the RS appearance package.

I fail to see why this is so complicated. All you have to do is look at a picture of the headlamps and you can tell the difference between the two.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #50
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Why is it so hard for you to understand the difference between HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps and the halo rings? Have you seen a picture of these lights?
Let's be specific. If I order the HID OEM replacement assembly (see the image above from the GMPartsDirect) will they come with the LED ring too or are they just the HID's? They come with the ballasts.

Quote:
Do you further understand that the RS appearance package is a standalone appearance package that is added onto a 1SS or 2SS Camaro at the time of ordering? You can also order the RS appearance package on 1LT's and 2LT's I BELIEVE.
Yep. I wasn't asking about the RS package. I was confounded by the SS vs. RS fog lamp comment made above but that's since been explained by C586. See above.

Quote:
If you order a 1SS or 2SS and do not add the RS appearance package, your car will have normal (yellow) halogen headlamps. If you choose the RS appearance package for your 1SS or 2SS, your Camaro will come with HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps that feature a separate "halo" ring that surrounds the headlamp. The ring is strictly for cosmetic appearance ONLY and serves no practical purpose.
Yes. I knew all that already. The ring is actually akin to the old RS motorized headlamp covers. In other words, the ring is a visual affordance known by the RS model just like the hideaway covers.

On a personal note, I like the look of the rings from the front-end view of the C5 Camaro even when the lights are off better than the non-ringed lights. And I know, full well and good, that I chose not to order these up front. That was a calculated choice. What I'm after now is this. When ordered the stock replacement headlamps using the RS package do you buy them:

1) As HID assemblies only?
2) As HID assemblies with the beauty ring?

GM Parts Direct isn't clear on this. And they have through model year 2012 not to 2013. And what's cheaper? Retrofitting the existing non HID headlamp assembly to add the ballast, HID bulb, ring or just sucking it up and buying the prepared assembly? And does that assembly come complete with everything you need including the beauty rings?

Quote:
If you select the RS appearance package, your Camaro will NOT come with fog lamps. In place of fog lamps, you get low intensity DRL's (daytime running lights). These DRL's have absolutely zero manual control, and are NOT foglights.
Glad I didn't order RS then. I like to have my own controlled fog lamps. It's absurd to me that this are DRLs in the RS version. I suspect there was some functional decision to this.

Quote:
Do you understand that HID and "xenon" headlamps are the same thing?
No. I didn't. I suspected that to be the case but wasn't 100% certain. I checked the chevy.com configurator description for the RS package and it reads, "High-intensity discharge headlamps, each ringed with an LED halo". It say nothing about xenon.

Quote:
There are numerous aftermarket HID/xenon headlamp options that can be installed in place of your Camaros halogen headlamps should you elect to not choose the RS appearance package.
I'm looking at several of these right now. Seem that "Oracle" is the leading contender. What do you suggest?

Quote:
I fail to see why this is so complicated. All you have to do is look at a picture of the headlamps and you can tell the difference between the two.
I'm taken back by your scathing attitude. Isn't this a forum where people come to learn from one another? I asked what I feel were qualified questions:

1. Does (anyone know) if the replacement HID headlamp assembly comes with the ring?
2. Is the HID the same as Xenon?
3. Why the difference between the "fog lamps" for RS and SS?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #51
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
A retrofit is much cheaper. The housings come just as they would on a factory car with the halo. I don't even see how that could be a thought.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #52
monstertodd

Sorry....bad day.

To the best of my knowledge, GM doesn't make a spare headlamp assy for the camaro that is HID only minus the halo ring.

If you order a spare headlamp assy that is from the RS appearance package, you will get an HID headlamp with an LED halo ring. Now whether or not that includes ballasts, hardware, or any wiring harnesses, I couldn't tell you.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #53
CrystalRedTintcoat

No worries, MonsterTodd. We are all human and bad days come with the package! I could tell by the overall tone you were sincerely helping and I totally appreciate it!

Since I messed up and now have order envy, if you were in my shoes would you opt for the GM assembly (assume the ballasts are in there) for $1,280 (yikes) or use an alternative aftermarket option (if so, which one)?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #54
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
A retrofit is much cheaper. The housings come just as they would on a factory car with the halo. I don't even see how that could be a thought.
Which retro kit do you recommend?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #55
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Which retro kit do you recommend?
Contact this guy he is the conversion guru on this site. I have done business with him as has hundreds.. hell it may be thousands now. Nobody does wiring harnesses better than Ofer aka 2SSRS.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #56
monstertodd

Quote:
No worries, MonsterTodd. We are all human and bad days come with the package! I could tell by the overall tone you were sincerely helping and I totally appreciate it!

Since I messed up and now have order envy, if you were in my shoes would you opt for the GM assembly (assume the ballasts are in there) for $1,280 (yikes) or use an alternative aftermarket option (if so, which one)?
I can understand the apprehension, the OEM units are pricey. Me personally, when retrofitting things like headlamps, I would want to stay with OEM parts. I'm not sure who it is, but I remember seeing a vendor on here in the vendor section who was advertising halo lights for sale that he/she would take apart and basically "rebuild" them into RS headlights.