Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #99
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
but I will tell you to go see the color for yourself at one of the many Pontiac or Hummer dealers as it is a popular color on Solstices and Hummer H2 and H3's.
Just letting all of you know to go take a look at the color in person, you might like it or like me you might be disappointed..
QFE

It may be the metallic flake, or something else in the clearcoat, but as you can tell from the pictures, it just does not show up well on camera.

This is a color that just has to be seen in person, in real daylight.
Once you do, you'll either love it, or hate it.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #100
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
Part of that may be the quality of the reduced .jpg files, but it is very much a red-orange when out in the sun. I'll see if I can post the higher-res pictures tonight or tomorrow morning.
Side note- Many digital cameras tend to oversaturate any color that even resembles red.

So I'm sure in person it looks more orange. Still a red-orange, but probably more orange than these pics make it look.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #101
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Side note- Many digital cameras tend to oversaturate any color that even resembles red.

So I'm sure in person it looks more orange. Still a red-orange, but probably more orange than these pics make it look.
Being a DSLR, I'm not entirely sure I'd say my camera is quite like most other digital cameras. Personally, I think my pictures look pretty close to what the car looked like in person. My girlfriend (who was with me) agrees. Like I mentioned at some point, from a distance, I thought the Camaro at the show was victory red, but a closer look convinced me of it being IOM. Maybe it wasn't the final color. I don't know. My best advice is to take my pictures with whatever size grain of salt you want and to go find IOM in person.
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #102
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Well for most going to see the colors in person at a dealer ship is easy. But for those of use in the millitary in Iraq and other places will just half to make due with the pics we get from every one.

Thanks very much for the pics.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #103
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Being a DSLR, I'm not entirely sure I'd say my camera is quite like most other digital cameras. Personally, I think my pictures look pretty close to what the car looked like in person. My girlfriend (who was with me) agrees. Like I mentioned at some point, from a distance, I thought the Camaro at the show was victory red, but a closer look convinced me of it being IOM. Maybe it wasn't the final color. I don't know. My best advice is to take my pictures with whatever size grain of salt you want and to go find IOM in person.
Even being a DSLR doesn't get you away from oversaturation. The Nikon D40X is prone to oversaturation in its default settings, which the EXIF seems to indicate that you are using.

Quote:
Saturation. The Nikon D40x produces images with fairly vibrant color, oversaturating strong red and blue tones. The oversaturation is a little higher that what we're used to seeing from a DSLR, but far from the most we've seen from consumer models.
Quote:
The D40x (like its "predecessor") has really saturated colors at the default settings -- maybe too much so.
I'm not knocking your camera...I almost bought a D40X instead of my Pentax K100D. I actually push the saturation levels of my photos since I prefer that look. In my mind, super bright colors are how I remember the scene so I tend to adjust my photos to match.

I agree that anyone who is using images posted online to judge what these colors look like, you really need to go see them in person. That is unless you are stuck somewhere that your local GM dealership isn't just around the corner, like 13F20. Even I'm waiting to decide on my final color choice until I can see each color on the Camaro in person. Seeing them on another car doesn't seem to be helping me much since the lines are all wrong.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #104
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Thanks Venom, your picture actually is the closest to what the color actually looks like in bright sun .. Here it is again.. A very good comparison to red as well.. As you can see, the color is red-orange(more red), however it is no hugger or tangier orange.

Last edited by Supermans; 11-24-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #105
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Some of you guys crack me up. Seriously. It is almost orange denial in here. I've owned just about all of the popular GM orange cars, consider myself pretty crazy when it comes to buying orange cars. Here is one example, I owned all three of these at the same time:

Also had these two:

That being said, I'm disappointed with the IOM. Yes, i've seen it in person several times now, rolling around on the Solstice. I was going to order a bright orange 2010 Camaro, until I saw this color. It IS more red than orange. It looks just like the photo above, a reddish color with orange highlights at the body lines. Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT color, but it isn't the orange I expected. I wanted something along the lines of hugger orange metallic, like the SRT8 Challenger has. Something like the convertible concept Camaro had. Saw that one in person too.

Summary: IOM is a great color, it will be popular. Those of you that expected hugger orange or a brighter orange will be disappointed by it though.

I changed my order to cyber gray.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #106
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
It really depends on what year Hugger Orange you have a preferance for I should know I own a 1970 Hugger Orange Camaro and have looked long and hard at IOM.

In my opinion IOM is almost a dead ringer for the old 1970 code 65 "Hugger Orange" except with metallic flake.

In 1970 Hugger Orange was code 65, was a Red/Orange which GM called "Hugger Orange" in the Camaro line. Pontiac used it also calling it "Carousel Red" on GTO's.

If you are referring to the 1969 color then in 1969 Hugger Orange was more Orange and had a bit less red. This was GM code 72.

In 1999 Hugger Orange was again offered on the Camaro but was a more pale orange and was called "Peachy" because it had a peach hue to it in the sun.
70 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #107
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Correct. My pic above compares code 72 vs 1999. The 99 color is less red, has a milky look to it. 1970 hugger (code 65) is still very close to code 72, it looks far closer to orange than red. IOM looks very accurate to "tomato soup metallic" as someone else mentioned earlier. I'd say tomato soup red with a hint of orange metallic is the best description of the color, in person.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #108
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
IMO...The difference is the flake and how it reflects, both Spectural and Diffuse. if the paint has average factory quality peel and finish then it would look darker (diffuse). Less Peel and more polish - then it would appear lighter and brighter (spectural).
70 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #109
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Orange???

That is obviously not orange. Go to a grocery store if you are in doubt as to what color orange is. I ordered Orange and if they bring that thing up to me they can keep it. That is NOT Orange. It might be a nice red tinted color, but NOT orange. Can anyone else see clearly? I guess you got me going up to the dealer to see if I can find that Inferno Orange Metallic on something else. You folks that see orange on that car are goofy to be sure.
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #110
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
That is obviously not orange. Go to a grocery store if you are in doubt as to what color orange is. I ordered Orange and if they bring that thing up to me they can keep it. That is NOT Orange. It might be a nice red tinted color, but NOT orange. Can anyone else see clearly? I guess you got me going up to the dealer to see if I can find that Inferno Orange Metallic on something else. You folks that see orange on that car are goofy to be sure.
If you are expecting Dukes of Hazzard Orange, you will be disappointed. I would change your order to your number 2 color..A safe bet is Cyber Grey as it seems to be the most eye catching color at the auto shows..
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #111
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
I wanted something along the lines of hugger orange metallic, like the SRT8 Challenger has.
Something funny about this statement is that, the other day (maybe a little overcast), I saw one of the orange Challengers with the stripes on the hood and had to take a second to decide whether it was orange or red. As it drove past, it looked closer to orange, but overall much closer to IOM.

Unless, of course, I didn't actually see a Hemi Orange Challenger, but the actual red one... it looked orange as it drove past, though. Anyone have a similar experience?
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #112
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Something funny about this statement is that, the other day (maybe a little overcast), I saw one of the orange Challengers with the stripes on the hood and had to take a second to decide whether it was orange or red. As it drove past, it looked closer to orange, but overall much closer to IOM.

Unless, of course, I didn't actually see a Hemi Orange Challenger, but the actual red one... it looked orange as it drove past, though. Anyone have a similar experience?

Well i drive a Torred Dodge Daytona . It indeed looks orange in at times in the right sunlight. The orange Chally is definately orange so you may have seen a Torred Chally.

Last edited by live2well; 11-25-2008 at 08:04 AM.
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote