Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #239
KevinK

Drives: '02 SS 345/M6 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
Hey, um, did anyone else notice that the convertible GM has on the camaro website seems to have the same grille as the SS in these photos? The only differences I can see are that it has Halo headlights and the bowtie is absent. (well that and there's no SS badge that I can see. ) Any thoughts?

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/insi...y/?id=cid00016
...halo's = RS, ...and upper fascia slit = SS. Hence RS/SS vert...
(as with many early photos, ...some things get 'missed', ...car is missing it's grill badge. Unless it's there and I can't see it either)
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #240
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
OK -- repeat after me: NOT $40,000 !

The dealer is guessing. We have not announced pricing and we don't intend to until around the first of the year.

NOT $40,000 -- this car will be very affordable.
You da man Scott I'm gonna print this out and take it with me to the dealer when we do my build. I'll lay it on the desk and every time we add an option I'll tap on the piece of paper and say to the salesperson....read it...read it!

It is really great to have you chime in on the price of the SS as there have been a lot of skeptics, myself included about a price under 40K.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #241
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Vette new Camaro comparisons are in some ways inappropriate. If you removed the rear seats from a Camaro the weight would come down -- within a couple of hundred pounds. As it stands it is 700 pounds more than the Vette. The Camaro is a much larger vehicle.

Body 16" Longer
Wheel Base 6" Longer
Track 1" Wider
These are all rounded numbers.

What do you get for 700 pounds? You get a much larger interior and trunk would be the shallow reply. The more in depth reply would be the new Camaro is more luxury GT than two seat super car -- BUT the Camaro will perform in many ways like the smaller and lighter Vette. GM invested almost two billion dollars to bring the new Camaro to the showroom between the development of ZETA and and the update of the line to build the Camaro. The chassis is solid as a rock. The most structurally sound monocoque chassis in the GM car family is either ZETA or 322 (CTS) depending on who you talk to. The Camaro is a revised ZETA. ZETA II is tighter than ZETA -- more structurally sound with small refinements to handle more powerful engines, brakes and larger tire and wheel packages. It will deliver with higher spring and damping rates than the Pontiac G8 with a lower stance. It will handle very well in the twisties and feel much lighter than the curb weight.

Unlike any other Camaro ever built the car will be rock solid. The virtual pivot points in the front suspension move the front wheel pivot to the outer side of the wheel. This increases the stability of the front wheels in aggressive manoeuvres. The IRS has NO wheel hop -- NONE. In OE trim the Camaro will be the best hand lining Camaro ever built by GM. It is a stunning performer.

A reference was made earlier in the thread to suspension modifications. Something along the lines of why buy a new car that needs suspension work? Good question. The need is relative. The car will drive like a dream from the factory. With some suspension tweaks it drives like the same dream on steroids. I have probably said this before so excuse me for saying it again. Until you actually drive a ZETA vehicle you can't imagine what you will be getting in a Camaro. Test drive a G8 at your local Pontiac store to get an idea. Keep in mind the Camaro will wear larger tires and wheels, with more aggressive suspension tuning so it is only a hint at what the Camaro will be. GM may be slow to market with the ZETA II Camaro, but it will be worth the wait and the price of admission. You'll get a Camaro that is solid, stable and fast -- easy to drive fast -- very fast. You'll be able to run a road course with a Camaro and three of your best friends -- almost as fast as a Vette.

I agree with you on many of your points here. What i want to see is apples to apples comparison. How about some official times on the 'Ring to see what the ZETA II platform under the camaro can do, compare that to a base Z51 and if they are close, you're points are right on. I have not seen anything on the Camaro at the 'Ring other than the one occasion that engineers were running the SS lightly a few months ago. When they going to have the barn burning session like the ZR-1. I would really like to see GM post some numbers for the people that are curious about it's performance around a benchmark track.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #242
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
I was just like you when the first pics started coming out...my biggest critique was the front bumper...

mirrors...well concept mirrors were no where near legal

rear quarter panels i'm certain can be changed to look more concept like

height is an inch more and yes that bothered me too but those damn regulations wouldn't allow it to stay lower...peters the designer fought hard but in the end lost that battle sadly

and any length related issues i believe are due to the the car being taller which will affect the dimensions as the grill looks shorter in the production and not as wide as the concept...

but is that a deal breaker for me...absolutely not...compare it to a mustang and it looks like its a whole other class of car...

is it exactly the concept not really...but its still a hell of a car that will turn heads...and if you have the time and patience you can get it looking pretty close to the concept...

I agree with this 100%. Even though I dislike the SS bumper vs the V6/RS, it does not look bad by any stretch of the imagination. It just looks different.. The difference is why I don't like it as much as the V6 bumper which stays more true to the concept. I'm very glad to finally get to see pictures of the base SS in all its glory and have to say thank you for providing them.

I know that both look amazing and will turn heads and all of that, however because my brain is liking the look of the V6 bumper better, I'm going to have a tough time figuring out if I want looks and accessories that I like better which comes out cheaper and more affordable vs raw speed and power that I can get with the V8.

I'm having a very hard time believing that I will be disappointed while I'm driving my new V8 SS and seeing a V6/RS look nicer driving by but knowing I have a better overall machine. This is my dilemma I face and even I don't understand why it is making me second guess buying the obviously better version of the car..

As for pricing, this is going to be even more difficult if the price of a fully loaded V6/RS with the higher end audio and halo headlights comes out cheaper than the base SS V8.. Decisions decisions... Thanks again for posting the pics of the new SS. The very artistic shots make the car look iconic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
I agree with you on many of your points here. What i want to see is apples to apples comparison. How about some official times on the 'Ring to see what the ZETA II platform under the camaro can do, compare that to a base Z51 and if they are close, you're points are right on. I have not seen anything on the Camaro at the 'Ring other than the one occasion that engineers were running the SS lightly a few months ago. When they going to have the barn burning session like the ZR-1. I would really like to see GM post some numbers for the people that are curious about it's performance around a benchmark track.
I think all of us want to see actual performance numbers for all the models and we know we will get them, it's just a matter of when..

After taking a second look at the these SS pictures, I have made one of them my new desktop. I'm going to drool over the silver base SS until I forget about the silly bumper issue.. For all you photoshop people, please make this SS in blue, obviously in the photoshop thread

Last edited by Supermans; 08-26-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #243
HooliganZ

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Looks amazing, I can't wait to own one!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #244
motorhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Interesting that some people see things one way and some another......

The base headlamp is a reflector optic lamp -- which means very good light coverage at a reasonable price. (go check out a 98/02 Firebird versus a 98/02 Camaro -- try 'em both out at night while in a dark parking lot.....-- you'll see what I mean...)

The Halo headlamps are expen$$ive -- and it's crucial that we bring this car in at a very reasonable price.

Headlamps must perform -- but it's also a feature that some don't care about........just as long as they perform well at night!............so it makes sense to include them in the RS package.
Scott,

Soooooo glad you guys made it an option for HID/Projector setup...i think there will be more demand than estimated on this option.

7/23/2010 - 1100
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
| Photos |
Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #245
motorhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
man i dont know about you guys but i want to see the SS WHip some s5 and m3 ass. oh yeah and the 350 and g37

You mean the 370? By the time this hits the street there will be more of a fight from the guys across the pond. The german boys have gotten really fat as of late, so i would expect the camaro to hold tight against the rich boys.

7/23/2010 - 1100
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
| Photos |
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #246
motorhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TBSS View Post
400-500 lbs to loose? I'm thinking....remove useless 5 mph crash beams, all trunk lining/insulation/spare tire/jack, all airbags and associated deployment, goto a mini battery, sound system delete, replace probable heavy cast 20's w/ 18-19" 3 piece wheels and resonated exhaust instead of the heavy(looking) rear muffs. If your really racing then back seat and more interior paneling delete including console for a possible 3150-3250 car.
If you're doing this to a new $35K car, you have too much time and money on your hands. A sports car without a back seat for a spec track car, or a 8-15 year old model.....sure.

PS - you forgot to add the custom rollbar. ;-)

7/23/2010 - 1100
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
| Photos |
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #247
Delirio

Drives: A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
The rims will be the same just a different tint (darker), the body moulding on the roof will change from black(standard) to body color(rs package), rear spoiler stays the same (its an upgrade for the V6), Halos, tail lamps will be tinted (darker like the wheels) and badges...

Think thats everything...
Thank you man... so that shall mean that RS package for the SS shall cost WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY less...
Delirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #248
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up WOW

Looks awesome is the SS Camaro a little bit small next
to the Vette are is it just me are the pic. ???
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #249
motorhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro68 View Post
Looks awesome is the SS Camaro a little bit small next
to the Vette are is it just me are the pic. ???
what does this are mean?.

7/23/2010 - 1100
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
| Photos |
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #250
FirstCamaro

Drives: Looking
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
You da man Scott I'm gonna print this out and take it with me to the dealer when we do my build. I'll lay it on the desk and every time we add an option I'll tap on the piece of paper and say to the salesperson....read it...read it!

It is really great to have you chime in on the price of the SS as there have been a lot of skeptics, myself included about a price under 40K.
Amen!
FirstCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #251
discoteka

Drives: Oramac
Hey Scott, when are the pix of the Z28 comin out?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #252
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
atleast it looks a bit more aggressive.
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote