Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Aftermarket Oil Pan

Those who road course with "Sticky" grip tires, have you upgraded your oil pan yet? if so, what did you upgrade to?

I'm looking at this one.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...ffle-p-41.html

I'm going to step up away from street tires for Road Course(at least for Homestead Miami Speedway) - for Sebring I need more track time on street tires. Before I did that I wanted to take steps to prevent possibly starving the engine from oil.

from source

Quote:
2010+ Camaro / Pontiac G8 / Holden VE Racing Oil Pan Baffle
[IR-EGM-1005]

This oil pan baffle was designed to improve oil control and reduce oil starvation in the 2010-Present (5th Generation) Camaro, the Pontiac G8 and the Holden VE Commodore, all of which use the same oil pan. The GM LS-series small blocks have a history of being prone to oil starvation during long, high-G turns, especially at higher RPMs where oil aeration is more prevalent.

Our baffles provide very effective, track-proven protection against oil starvation for road racing, drifting, autocross, drag racing and even off-roading and rock crawling. The baffle uses trap doors to keep oil around the pickup tube and provides vastly improved oil control over the stock baffle.

Features and Benefits

Trap-door baffling completely ecloses the pickup tube for maximum protection against oil starvation.
100% bolt in, no welding necessary. This is a direct bolt-in replacement for the stock steel baffle.
Improves drainback and reduces the risk of oil starvation when oil levels are low.
Reduces oil slosh and oil consumption at high Gs.
Less costly than aftermarket pans.
Allows retention of the stock oil pan, which is a structural part of the engine. In fact, GM describes the pan as "engine reinforcement". Most aftermarket pans do not provide adequate structural support, which can result in leakages and decreased reliability.
Light-weight aluminum construction saves weight.
Solid body aircraft rivets used for trap door fasteners.
30-day money back guarantee
Lifetime Warranty
Made in the USA
Applications

This product is designed for direct installation in the following vehicles:
2010-Present Chevrolet Camaro (V8 model)
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2006-Present Holden VE Commodore
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Mike is the only one kind enough to have provided anything for this engine chassis set up. Every little bit helps and it is a nice solution.

As far as I looked, Moroso, Milodon, Canton, Hamburger, Steffs, Jeff's Custom Fab, Kevco (did I leave out anyone?) I called and searched a year ago and could not find any road race solutions for a wet sump for the 5th Gen chassis/LS engine....go figure. Maybe wait for the ZL1 or mabe 20 years later to see if there is anything?
Dry sump seems to be the only option and the real challenge in that is a finding location for the tank and deleting the AC for the pump. If you go LS7 style you still have to find a place to mount the tank.

You might also want to read up on the below link.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racin...il-issues.html

Good Luck
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Mike is the only one kind enough to have provided anything for this engine chassis set up. Every little bit helps and it is a nice solution.

As far as I looked, Moroso, Milodon, Canton, Hamburger, Steffs, Jeff's Custom Fab, Kevco (did I leave out anyone?) I called and searched a year ago and could not find any road race solutions for a wet sump for the 5th Gen chassis/LS engine....go figure. Maybe wait for the ZL1 or mabe 20 years later to see if there is anything?
Dry sump seems to be the only option and the real challenge in that is a finding location for the tank and deleting the AC for the pump. If you go LS7 style you still have to find a place to mount the tank.

You might also want to read up on the below link.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racin...il-issues.html

Good Luck
Thanks... I did read this ls1tech post a while back. I don't think I'm pulling enough gs to warrant an upgrade to a dry sump. Thats probably what I should be looking at - find out what other 5th gen guys are pulling on the track I go to with their race tires.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I thought I heard that the gran sports with a manual trans also came with a dry sump hand built LS3. Where the autos have an assembly line wet sump LS3 like ours. Might be an option if I heard right.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Rogan, did you end up installing this baffle? Did you have any issues with it?
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I installed the oil pan baffle from Improved Racing when I did my cam swap. No issues, fits perfect.

2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote