Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
"Best HID brand"

Is there a brand that's considered the "best" when it comes to a quality HID kit? I put replaced my halogen fixtures with HID's and had a cheap Ebay Chinese HID kit installed and it lasted about five months. I wasn't really mad and figured it wouldn't last long. Second kit I came here did my research and ended up at the Retrofitsource and shelled out more money for what I was told to me a much better kit. Well it's been about eight months and both lights stopped working completely. Took it in, and the ballasts are bad already. Sooo this there a brand out there, don't care the cost that provides top notch HID kits with a good track record? I could just have bad luck, but replacing HID kits/components every year is getting old. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
OEM is the best in my opinion. It's hard to make a strong case for anyone else, especially since any retrofits would be placed in a non-HID headlight casing.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Is there a brand that's considered the "best" when it comes to a quality HID kit? I put replaced my halogen fixtures with HID's and had a cheap Ebay Chinese HID kit installed and it lasted about five months. I wasn't really mad and figured it wouldn't last long. Second kit I came here did my research and ended up at the Retrofitsource and shelled out more money for what I was told to me a much better kit. Well it's been about eight months and both lights stopped working completely. Took it in, and the ballasts are bad already. Sooo this there a brand out there, don't care the cost that provides top notch HID kits with a good track record? I could just have bad luck, but replacing HID kits/components every year is getting old. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Theretrofitsource offers a warranty with their stuff so you should get a free replacement. My kit from them lasted 2 years with no problems

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
jeffrsho

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Auto Convertible
I used ddmtuning.com for HID lights on my Tahoe and Suburban. Both sets lasted over 3 years without issues and they provide a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
jeffrsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
OEM is indeed the best option, but if you are looking for a quality HID conversion kit, feel free to send us a PM. We spent months designing our HID conversion kit and it includes a heavy duty waterproof relay for a very reliable setup.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
The retrofit sorce great products with warranty . And good customer service
Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
rc610

Drives: 2020 2SS SGM - Stock for now
+1 on DDM tuning. You can also try mix matching companies. I'm using cheap xentec ballasts from eBay with DDM tuning bulbs in my tahoe and the combo has been going strong since 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I've had ddmtunning kits on my truck for over 3 years as well and no issues. Got a set for the fog lights on my camaro.
760bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote