Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
End of my first Autocross Season

Well today was the last event in my area for the Autocross season. My only regret is I wish I would have started participating at the beginning of the season. I didn't make the time or get the courage to try it until September. So I was only able to participate in the last 3 events.

My times relative to the other regulars that race with the club are improving (catching up). So I'm feeling pretty good about my progress so far. And so far the Michelin PSS's seems to give me much more consistent and predictable grip than my Goodyear F1 G2's have thus far. But the two times that I used the Goodyears it was cooler out and they definitely do not like cooler temps.

Next year maybe I'll get a more aggressive alignment for Autocrossing, start bringing more equipment with me to make tire pressure adjustments, and maybe get a Go Pro camera so I can record some of my runs!

For anyone who has not tried Autocrossing yet you need to get out and try it. Just find a local club and get started. You don't have to run the fastest times to have fun. It's still fun no matter how hard you push your car on the course!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
AGREED! Started in June. I will run a Full season next year. It is such a Blast. I LOVE driving the 1LE

Last edited by BruHop; 10-19-2014 at 11:41 PM.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
This was also my first full season AutoX and it is a lot of fun. Also gives us a chance to get use to our cars and what they are capable of. Next year you'll be all ready to go at the beginning of the season.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Gen52SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Driving Skills, Alignment and Tires

This is also my first year at autocross. The first event for us here in East Tennessee was back in February so I've been at it for 9 months. I run in F Street. Most of the season I was way behind everyone in class. I did attend a 2 day EVO school. If you have the chance take on of these...if nothing else you'll get a lot of runs in your car. I think I got around 75 runs over the 2 days. I'm one of the senior citizens at 68 but having a blast. With only 3 or 4 events left in our regional season and this weekend I'm going to Bowling Green KY for the 1st inaugural autocross at the National Corvette Museum. They have just built a road course and a autocross pad. I can pass along some information for you.

Those who run a 1LE setup are fast everytime a 1LE was running it took 1st place in F Street by seconds over 2nd place.

Before you run next season get a wheel alignment. My cars understeer was hard to fix just with tire pressure and pushed all year until I got the alignment which changed how the car handled now the front bites and the rear can come around in a controllable oversteer. I waited too long this season and just had it done for my last 2 events cut my time by 1.5 to 2 seconds. I was running way behind the other cars in class now I can compete. I run a stock 2014 SS not the 1LE.

Tires....Tires....Tires new Hankook Ventus going on this week for the last few events square up my ride and more bite in the front. I'll let you know how they work temps looking like in the mid 70's these tires like heat so we will see. I wanted to save them for the start of next season but my stock Pirelli's are shot.

The rest is up to the driver. If you can't drive it first to it's limit....don't do any mod's to your car until you can drive the hell out of it as is....then start changing things....have fun.
Gen52SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen52SS View Post
This is also my first year at autocross. The first event for us here in East Tennessee was back in February so I've been at it for 9 months. I run in F Street. Most of the season I was way behind everyone in class. I did attend a 2 day EVO school. If you have the chance take on of these...if nothing else you'll get a lot of runs in your car. I think I got around 75 runs over the 2 days. I'm one of the senior citizens at 68 but having a blast. With only 3 or 4 events left in our regional season and this weekend I'm going to Bowling Green KY for the 1st inaugural autocross at the National Corvette Museum. They have just built a road course and a autocross pad. I can pass along some information for you.

Those who run a 1LE setup are fast everytime a 1LE was running it took 1st place in F Street by seconds over 2nd place.

Before you run next season get a wheel alignment. My cars understeer was hard to fix just with tire pressure and pushed all year until I got the alignment which changed how the car handled now the front bites and the rear can come around in a controllable oversteer. I waited too long this season and just had it done for my last 2 events cut my time by 1.5 to 2 seconds. I was running way behind the other cars in class now I can compete. I run a stock 2014 SS not the 1LE.

Tires....Tires....Tires new Hankook Ventus going on this week for the last few events square up my ride and more bite in the front. I'll let you know how they work temps looking like in the mid 70's these tires like heat so we will see. I wanted to save them for the start of next season but my stock Pirelli's are shot.

The rest is up to the driver. If you can't drive it first to it's limit....don't do any mod's to your car until you can drive the hell out of it as is....then start changing things....have fun.

Thanks for the feedback on how your alignment helped. I think I could have probably got another 2 seconds off my times yesterday with a little more aggressiveness and smoothness at the same time. I also need to work on looking up/ahead more. I even reminded myself of that before a couple of runs while waiting in the grid area then when I got up to the line I forgot to remind myself to look up more. Oh well. Lots of room for improvement yet even with the improvments I've already learned/gained.

I think the other trick is just getting comfortable with how the car feels at the limits and learning how to still maintain control of the car when you can feel it pushing a little. Just need to learn how to use that push and slip angle to my advantage and not try to fight it as much.

I had a lot of fun though driving my car how it was meant to be. It is officially an addiction!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Green95ss
Tinkerer

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS 1LE
The Gen5 is a different beast than the "pony car" heritage it hails from: turning, braking, balance, AND acceleration all come together and make for the most fun you'll have in a car with your clothes on...

I regret that I discovered this so late! I did 3 events so far and placed 2nd in Novice twice! I've had an absolute blast and love that I can get minutes of seat time for only $30-50, as opposed to drag racing (which I still enjoy) where you get 60s total seat time in a night.

SCCA events are well-organized, but you only get 4 runs; I need 4 runs just to figure out where the course is!

BMW events are well-run, have a very welcoming group, and are all surprised at how well the Camaro can hang.

I'm gonna do a Porsche event this coming weekend--lets see how they are.
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S
2018 Porsche Macan S
2018 Ford Raptor
2012 Mustang Convertible
Green95ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green95ss View Post
The Gen5 is a different beast than the "pony car" heritage it hails from: turning, braking, balance, AND acceleration all come together and make for the most fun you'll have in a car with your clothes on...

I regret that I discovered this so late! I did 3 events so far and placed 2nd in Novice twice! I've had an absolute blast and love that I can get minutes of seat time for only $30-50, as opposed to drag racing (which I still enjoy) where you get 60s total seat time in a night.

SCCA events are well-organized, but you only get 4 runs; I need 4 runs just to figure out where the course is!

BMW events are well-run, have a very welcoming group, and are all surprised at how well the Camaro can hang.

I'm gonna do a Porsche event this coming weekend--lets see how they are.
Sounds like you made the same mistake I did...and started way too late in the season! I guess for me it's something to really look forward to next year.

I have also found that the autocross group is pretty diverse and welcoming regardless of what you are driving!