Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #211
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I like my key and fob and will NOT change it just because 4 minor injuries over 5 years with 520k Camaros out there.

We already paid how much per keyfob with the Camaro? Not to mention the countless numbers of people who, in the beginning (2009 10) paid $250-300 for a keyfob and cut if they lost a key. I recently paid $52 for 2 GM Camaro FOBs for spares add another $35 a key for cutting.

I am upset because I just paid $100 for these and if I use them, I am at fault for using them....then I realized that shit happens.

I am happy with my 1LE and the 2010 I sold and will continue to buy Chevy and American cars no matter what.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #212
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
My only question is if you don't get this recall done and get into an accident, can the insurance company not pay you because your car was unsafe when the accident happened.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #213
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Ohh bummer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post

I'm 6'1" with long legs and sit pretty close to the steering wheel and can't think of a single time that I came close to hitting the ignition...
Thanks for your comment: made me feel less paranoic.

I'm at my office right now...left the CAMARO home as the weather forecast for today was rain (so I took the EQUINOX instead) and can wait to get home at the end of the day and check this out by myself.

I would hate to get a "standard" key, yet in our modern litigious world where everybody is looking for a quick buck, I ponder the risk of choosing not to do so (like many owners here have expressed) in case something unforeseen happens in the future.

I'll have to think this one through carefully.

Safe driving to everyone,

The Flash

but drove my kids to their pre-school and elementary school early today in the CAMARO
Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #214
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
@ Chevrolet Customer Svc

Not trying to be an a**hole but why don't you go up the chain and specify this thread directly to GM (and upper management) about how many of us HATE the idea of getting rid (maybe even FORCED to get rid) of our flip keys and going to an old fashioned piece of crap two piece key which none of us want. I'm sorry, I paid good money for this car (double if not more than a Cruze that has PUSH TO START), and I am going to keep my flip key (unless you make the solution a "push to start' fix) because the flip key, in turn, make the Camaro what it is today as a whole. You guys need to come up with a better (and more appealing) solution, if you want to take the flip key since it's a "safety"?? issue, come up with something that is equivalent that I'll gladly give it up for, which also isn't a downgrade (AKA PUSH TO START) or just give me another flip key, because even with the separate fob and key, it will STILL encounter the same problem the cobalt has (not an issue for 99% of people in this forum it seems at all), you didn't fix anything, if anything you probably make the issue more prone to happening now changing to this 2 piece design. This "new key" is the ugliest and the BIGGEST downgrade being put into effect.

I will gladly pay to convert to a push to start system, which is already being used in GM vehicles with the same keyfob.

Sincerely,
An avid (and now annoyed) Camaro Owner
Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #215
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatS View Post
My only question is if you don't get this recall done and get into an accident, can the insurance company not pay you because your car was unsafe when the accident happened.
Geez, didn't even think of that. Dammit.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #216
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Hopefully the chip will be in the key. The other thing after I posted will the aftermarket alarm work or will I need to take in to have the alarm reset.
There shouldn't be a need. They will just provide a key and separate fob which will be programmed for your car. It shouldn't be any different (from an aftermarket alarm perspective) than getting a replacement FOB.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #217
LagunaSecaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS2010 View Post
I like my switchblade style key, I use it to thwart off would be car jackers. Not afraid to shank bitches with it either!! lol
"Shank bitches"
Sold- 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 (Black on Black), Detroit Speed Sway bars, DOT 4 Brake Fluid, separate clutch master reservoir, Moroso Catch Can. 2.11 at Thunderhill 100* ambient. Ron Davis Radiator and AFCO Heat Exchanger installed after track day, Roto-Fab CAI.
Sold- 2001 Mustang Cobra -Griggs GR40,M5, Torsen T2-R, 4.10, 14" Brembo fronts, high 1:40s at Laguna Seca
LagunaSecaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #218
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
thank god. Personally, I hate the switchblade. It's too bulky in the pocket. I would LOVE to have a separate key and remote.
Dont forget, if they are going to change your key, they are going to change or door lock as well. If you do not mind that is.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #219
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Did it turn the engine off???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT D View Post
Only ever hit the key once. Learned my lesson never happened again.

Well.... Waat happened????

Don't keep us wondering!!

The Flash
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #220
Ph4r
Top Down Fun

Drives: 11 2SS/RS IOM Vert
So, if anyone with the capability is reading this, Selling a Push-To-Start System for 2010-2014 Camaro's would be a great idea about now! This is what GM should, but likely won't do for us, come on aftermarket fix properly what the OEM won't!

Daily Driver: 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium with 2 car seats in the back!
Ph4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #221

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Turning the car on and off with my knee is a great idea....Gonna practice every chance I get....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #222
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I've been asking for push button start since the 5th gen was a concept.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #223
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Personally....

I would LOVE to see a proximity push start button like I have on my Dodge Charger work vehicle.

Clean..

Looks smart...

Would fit NICELY (function and appearance) in a Camaro.

AND NO KEY!!!!!

Hey GM....Maybe offer as part of the recall effort, designing and installing a proven system that works for those who want it..and to offset the slight cost of the recall?

I would pay $300 for such a system and GM could use the existing learning and programming already within the FOB.

Replace the key tumbler with a receiver....problem solved.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #224
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
My knee brushes the other keys on my keychain, but never the key itself. If I make this switch then there will be a WHOLE LOT MORE that my knee can bang into.

Ugh...

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall