Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Has anyone here ever paid for Professional Detailing?

http://jaysdetail.com/auto-detailing/

http://thehandcarwash.com/auto-detailing.html

The Jay's detail service is much, MUCH more pricey... but I have a used 2011 black SS that has some minor wear and tear...

I want to start getting into waxing, detailing and all that good stuff on my own, but I'm not sure if I should have a pro fix it for me, and then I just maintain it myself from here on out?

I mean I figure I'd be paying anywhere from $400-$700 to have them do it for me, where I could be paying $150-$200 to do it myself with the right products and equipment...

I just don't want to pay all that money on products, and completely screw everything up!

Or is trial and error necessary?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
jamesfg49

Drives: 2011 2SS
IMHO, trial and error on a black or dark car is a no no. My buddy tried to buff his newly painted car, it was shot Lexus ISF blue and well it looked worse than before. I have my cars pro buffed every 2-3 years. I maintain with a Cali car duster and
Smartwax detail spray (I never run my cars thru the car wash) orbital buff twice a year and clay bar when necessary. I've owned a couple full blown crazy painted cars and this process never failed me.
jamesfg49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
cal.duster
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
A good detail and paint correction could easily be $600-1000.

Probably not a bad idea to have them fix it then have them show you the best way to maintain it.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
The clear on these cars can be pretty thin. Do you have the tools to measure it before you start paint correction?. If just a little swirled go for it. If major correction is needed have someone else do it.
Since our paint is soft in my opinion I will be doing this when I have the time.

http://gtechniqna.com/exterior-coati...ystal-lacquer/

If your going to spend the money to have it corrected, I would have them coat the car with the above, or Cquartz, 22PLE, Opticoat. From there is is just a 2 bucket wash for quite some time.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Definitely learn to do it yourself. It is not rocket science. If you pay someone else to do it and remain ignorant of the process then you will end up paying for it very frequently.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
I went with a full correction and the detailer was nice enough to teach me some techniques and even let me work on the car so he could correct things I may have been doing wrong. Since that day I have done my own detailing.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Jay is a reputable guy who does excellent work, so if you plan to pay to have it done go with him. Like most things like this you're going to pay for what you get - a full correction and detail isn't gonna be cheap if its done right and by an actual professional.

That being said - if the price is turning you off consider this - the majority of what you are paying is for labor and expertise. Detailing, paint correction, etc can be learned. All the product you need to do the job yourself can typically be purchased for the same or less than you would spend to have someone else do it, but you'll have all the product you need to maintain it going forward as well.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
Jay is a reputable guy who does excellent work, so if you plan to pay to have it done go with him. Like most things like this you're going to pay for what you get - a full correction and detail isn't gonna be cheap if its done right and by an actual professional.

That being said - if the price is turning you off consider this - the majority of what you are paying is for labor and expertise. Detailing, paint correction, etc can be learned. All the product you need to do the job yourself can typically be purchased for the same or less than you would spend to have someone else do it, but you'll have all the product you need to maintain it going forward as well.
You know / heard of Jay?

Do you think he'll teach me a few pointers and what not if I were to take my car to him?

I DO want to learn, I would just hate to spend good money on products, and use them to half their true potential.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Look up junkman videos on YouTube. He will show you how and what to do. Videos are long but well worth it if you really want to learn.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #11
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
dmpsix,

Watch the videos on the Surf City Garage site, Adams Polishes site, and read up on here and you will be well on your way. There is still a learning curve but you'll be far enough along where you will be way better than any drive thru "hand car wash" place.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its much more satisfying doing a detail yourself. If you need to learn how to use a buffer or to apply polish and wax, you could go to a few detailing sites and take notes. You could also practice on some panels from a junk yard, or a painted surface before trying it out on your car.

Take your time and make sure your steps are well defined, and you should do well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
You know / heard of Jay?

Do you think he'll teach me a few pointers and what not if I were to take my car to him?

I DO want to learn, I would just hate to spend good money on products, and use them to half their true potential.
Honestly, and I speak from experience here - no detaiers are that big on teaching you to do the job.

It slows them down, and time is money in this endeavor. Its also taking money out of their own pocket b/c if they teach you what they do you have no need to come back. You usually don't go into the kitchen and ask the chef to show you how to make your favorite meal so you can do it at home ya know.

If you want to learn many times there are clinics and classes you can attend. We host demo days at various shows. Theres obviously a plethora of info here and other places online.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Definitely learn to do it yourself. It is not rocket science. If you pay someone else to do it and remain ignorant of the process then you will end up paying for it very frequently.
Best point in the thread so far.

Learn to do it yourself, or else it will cost way more in the end since you'll be repeatedly taking the car back to the detailer.

Then again, Matt, maybe you should keep your mouth shut... these people keep you in business! :
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote