Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
I'd imagine that going to a larger cam would allow more fuel to be used for cooling. I wonder if going to a larger cam with increased overlap and slightly decrease LSA will give you a little more room to put some timing back in it??
If your going this far, your voiding your warranty anyway so a tune would be the best way.

IMO, sounds like the IAT2 temps might be a culprit. What were they during the runs?
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Could this test be repeated with 91-93 octane and appropriate tunes for each combo?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I will buy a 5 gallon bucket of TORCO not a problem.

- I am assuming knock retard is when the motor automatically pulls timing due to detonation? If the motor automatically compensates for the knock, then do we have to worry about anything?

- So what you are saying is we can install the 10% OD pulley and the CAI, run 97 octane (via TORCO additive) and get about an 80rwhp increase over base WITHOUT a tune and WITHOUT hurting the motor?
Correct 75 RWHP
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
If your going this far, your voiding your warranty anyway so a tune would be the best way.

IMO, sounds like the IAT2 temps might be a culprit. What were they during the runs?
IAT 2 Temps were very good and recovery is very good, best I have seen vs all the aftermarket superchargers.

Ted.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Hi Ted,

So can we do the 10% on 93 octane with the CAI without throwing a code and what would be the gain from baseline?

Thanks,

Ron

Looking at the other tread, 510hp with the 10%.

Looks like it would be best to do one part or the other at this point.

Ted,

Thank you very much for taking the time to test, it is very appreciated.
Your Welcome,

No codes are set but knock retard is too severe with both the 10% and the CAI so either 100 octane unleaded or Torco Race Gas Concentrate should be run with this combo to see the results I did SAFELY.

You are correct on 93 one or the other is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
So with 92 I'm better off with a 5% pulley and te roto fab intake. 10% would start pulling timing due to knock retard?
The 5% and Rotofab worked well on 93, 92 octane may not be sufficient so a little Torco added for the days when your using the power would be advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTORG5 View Post

Ted, I will be calling you in the morning. The CF option is not on your web site yet.
Thank You I Really appreciate that, it cost me a lot of money to run these tests so if everyone buys they're Rotofab from JRE it Really Helps offset the cost of doing the testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Would meth injection help with this problem?
Not without a tune since it will make the car rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
I'd imagine that going to a larger cam would allow more fuel to be used for cooling. I wonder if going to a larger cam with increased overlap and slightly decreased LSA will give you a little more room to put some timing back in it before knocking??
Again you would need a tune and this whole thread is about NO TUNE POWER UPGRADES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Could this test be repeated with 91-93 octane and appropriate tunes for each combo?
Again we are searching for no tune power options.

I have no Problem tuning these cars, I just though it would be neat to find out how much GM left on the table for us.

Ted.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems to me that tuning should be considered if you're going to add more than a CB or CAI. I am thinking this because it's not like IF the car were to have a problem, and it's taken to the dealer, that they're not going to notice marks on the upper pulley shaft, or that it is a smaller-than-stock diameter; nor are they likely not not notice either wrench marks on the crank balancer pulley fasteners or a larger pulley. They're going to see these clues and if the claim is drivetrain related, they will probably come to the conclusion there were modifications. I think the conclusion I'm drawing is that you might be able to get a good 30-50-horse' out of the car without tuning or major bolt-ons that a dealer will have a problem with, but that might be about it - safely...

Thanks, Ted, for the outstanding testing and attention to detail. Mucho KUDOS We haven't heard of many problems with mod'd cars, so it seems to me it's up to us to find qualified and experienced tuners, like Jannetti, and take our cars there

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Your Welcome,

No codes are set but knock retard is too severe with both the 10% and the CAI so either 100 octane unleaded or Torco Race Gas Concentrate should be run with this combo to see the results I did SAFELY.

The 5% and Rotofab worked well on 93, 92 octane may not be sufficient so a little Torco added for the days when your using the power would be advised.

Thank You I Really appreciate that, it cost me a lot of money to run these tests so if everyone buys they're Rotofab from JRE it Really Helps offset the cost of doing the testing.

Again you would need a tune and this whole thread is about NO TUNE POWER UPGRADES.

I have no Problem tuning these cars, I just though it would be neat to find out how much GM left on the table for us.

Ted.
Appreciate the response and your time an money into this r n d. I will b ordering the 5% pulley and roto fab intake ere in the next week or so
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
They are now up on the site in case anyone was wondering.

ZL1 Roto-Fab Carbon
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Nick

Thanks for the great service this morning on my order! JRE's service and testing information is why I continue to buy from you.
email me a tracking number when you get one.

Thanks again!

Last edited by FSTORG5; 11-07-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added tracking request
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It seems to me that tuning should be considered if you're going to add more than a CB or CAI. I am thinking this because it's not like IF the car were to have a problem, and it's taken to the dealer, that they're not going to notice marks on the upper pulley shaft, or that it is a smaller-than-stock diameter; nor are they likely not not notice either wrench marks on the crank balancer pulley fasteners or a larger pulley. They're going to see these clues and if the claim is drivetrain related, they will probably come to the conclusion there were modifications. I think the conclusion I'm drawing is that you might be able to get a good 30-50-horse' out of the car without tuning or major bolt-ons that a dealer will have a problem with, but that might be about it - safely...

Thanks, Ted, for the outstanding testing and attention to detail. Mucho KUDOS We haven't heard of many problems with mod'd cars, so it seems to me it's up to us to find qualified and experienced tuners, like Jannetti, and take our cars there
I agree but that puts This topic Off topic.

The goal is What can we do without Tuning, 75 RWHP is Pretty Damn Impressive.

Thank you sir.

Ted.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
So, if I typically run 93 octane my best option is to go with a 5% pulley and a CAI? Would I only need the Torco on track days?

The Rotofab looks nice and obviously has great performance, but I am still waiting to see what CAI, Inc comes out with!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
ginsberg2@hotmail.com
Account Suspended

Drives: ls3 camaro
Quote:
I agree but that puts This topic Off topic.

The goal is What can we do without Tuning, 75 RWHP is Pretty Damn Impressive.

Thank you sir.

Ted.
another outstanding test by jannetty racing. great going guys.
ginsberg2@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
So, if I typically run 93 octane my best option is to go with a 5% pulley and a CAI? Would I only need the Torco on track days?

The Rotofab looks nice and obviously has great performance, but I am still waiting to see what CAI, Inc comes out with!
Great Plan Yes.

Ted.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Quote:
Your Welcome,

Ted.
TED. THANKS FOR THE TESTS. I WILL CONTACT U NEXT WEEK TO GET THE CAI CARBON FIBER

ROCK
7205301297-CELL