Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Bubble85

Drives: 2012 SS
Getting custom turbo any recomendations?

I have a local shop that sponsors my buddy's race car offer to builde a custom turbo set up. This will be first boosted car and I was wondering if any one could give me any recommendations on parts, set up, ect. I know the turbo will be Borg Warner but I'm not sure what size they want to use. I know that quality waste gate, BOV, braided oil lines are important. I have full faith that the shop will do an excellent job but any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Bubble85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
thebeast916

Drives: Blown G8 GT
Why go custom when there are awesome kits already made on the market.
There is a rediculous amount of work that goes into a turbo kit.

Add in exhaust work, fuel system, injectors, maybe valve train upgrades, an possible drivetrain upgrades and it adds up quick.
thebeast916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
AGP twin turbo kit. I am running 51s on mine and very satisfied. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, too many good kits available that are tried and tested.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Bubble85

I would love to get the agp kit but these guys are just giving me a much better price. So if you guys don't mind I'd appreciate any input on what I asked not why I should get the ago kit instead. Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
You get what you pay for. Tips? Cast parts, spend years testing, tweaking and improving, refine it some more, build a few kits, get feedback, adjust some more, then get a final kit.

The AGP kit was made to be OEM reliable kit that could be put on and ran for 150k miles and still make 1000+hp. I very much doubt any custom welded together one off kit will be able to give you that. If it is a race car or show car that rarely gets driven then that could be ok with you but on my personal cars I would never want that.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Bubble85

Once again thanks for your input but I'm really just looking for some help with the question I asked thanks.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble85 View Post
Once again thanks for your input but I'm really just looking for some help with the question I asked thanks.

It takes research. Most turbo set-ups are a bit of a guess. The shop should already know what you need, but you have to tell them what you want.
I've seen too many builds go wrong because people convince themselves they need 1000hp.
Go with small twins, you will be happy. BW turbos are big, and cheap. They work well, but are really set-up for higher boost. If you look at the maps, most don't do anything under 1.8 PR, and don't get much efficiency below 2.2 PR. Efficiency means more power with less heat.
If you are going BW, maybe try a larger single EFR.
Twin 6758's would be really nice, or a single 8374. 9180 if you think you need more than 600whp.
Cast manifolds work well and have good longevity. Fixed lots though too.
They steal a bunch of heat from the system because they are thick. They are thick because cast iron is roughly 1/3 as stiff as steel. OEM's run them because they are cheap, not the best.
Have a careful look at the work they have done before. If it's not top notch, could be a headache. Cheap is not the only criteria for a build. Quality should be #1, timeline 2nd, price 3rd.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble85 View Post
Is this a Single front mount kit?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Bubble85

Not sure what they have planned yet I'm going to meet with them next weekend
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
Go with small twins, you will be happy. BW turbos are big, and cheap. They work well, but are really set-up for higher boost. If you look at the maps, most don't do anything under 1.8 PR, and don't get much efficiency below 2.2 PR. Efficiency means more power with less heat.
If you are going BW, maybe try a larger single EFR.
Twin 6758's would be really nice, or a single 8374. 9180 if you think you need more than 600whp.
??
Wow. You should over lay the compressor maps for the turbos you just recommended and the turbo's you just said are less efficient and edit your post. Miss-information doesn't help anybody. Compare the BW 177268 'inefficient' turbo to the 6758. Look at that 1.8PR area you mentioned. Then look at the 8375 and it would be even even worse. Have you ever really looked into this, cause the exact opposite is true.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
??
Wow. You should over lay the compressor maps for the turbos you just recommended and the turbo's you just said are less efficient and edit your post. Miss-information doesn't help anybody. Compare the BW 177268 'inefficient' turbo to the 6758. Look at that 1.8PR area you mentioned. Then look at the 8375 and it would be even even worse. Have you ever really looked into this, cause the exact opposite is true.
No misinformation. Never said the EFR's had better maps, but they should be more responsive with the better exhaust wheels.
They also have a killer center section, and new technology compressor wheels.
The S256 was never mentioned in my post that I can find...It is better for sure. Just not a super efficient wheel.
All of what you mentioned is exactly what I was trying to say.
I mentioned the EFR's as the transient response on the street has been said to outweigh the slight differences in boost threshold against the older wheels in the S200's.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Avoid Chinese parts. Knock off wastegates, turbos, intercoolers, etc are all out there, cheap but the reliability sucks.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast916 View Post
Why go custom when there are awesome kits already made on the market.
There is a rediculous amount of work that goes into a turbo kit.

Add in exhaust work, fuel system, injectors, maybe valve train upgrades, an possible drivetrain upgrades and it adds up quick.
I totally agree. Lot's of proven systems out there. Check out this guy custom turbo, all he ended up with is 500 rwhp and a blown engine plus a $15,000 bill
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301926

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote