Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
op does a little more than daily drive. you keep bringing up tidbits that are hardly relevant so i fold. goodluck running three quarts low.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
[QUOTE=SPCBA;6301280]op does a little more than daily drive. you keep bringing up tidbits that are hardly relevant so i fold. goodluck running three quarts low.[/QUO

How are they hardly relevant. Your missing my point of 7 quarts is more then enough. What I. Was getting at was the pick up sits low enough to suffice 7qts even while racing. These cars probably pump 2-3 quarts through the engine at a time still leaving 4-5 quarts in the pan while running. Which is still well within the safe range. Most oil pans nowadays have baffles in them to prevent sloshing and causing starvation so even while cornering he would be fine. But what would I know I'm only a certified master technician and have only talked with some of the best shops in the business about the issue.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i been hearing the same things since my cam change, but i heard many others do the same . so i figured it was just the nature of the car. but ya ive heard the 7qts thing. dont see nothing wrong with it at all. i plan to run a lil thicker oil next change and start at 7qts and be done with it.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Oxtar41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
i been hearing the same things since my cam change, but i heard many others do the same . so i figured it was just the nature of the car. but ya ive heard the 7qts thing. dont see nothing wrong with it at all. i plan to run a lil thicker oil next change and start at 7qts and be done with it.
OMG don't run 7 quarts you will explode your whole engine!!1!!!!!1
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
The op has a stroker motor if i read correctly livernois 418 that means bigger crank i dont know if the stock crank sits in the oil but there is a good chance the stroker crank does so the oil areation might be causing the issue
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
thats what i did. better and heavier oil with a little less then 8. before cam and last few track days i had gibbs in mine. my tuner likes amsoil z-rod 10w-30. so i will be switching to that this week at somewhere a little less than 8 quarts as i know what my car likes. was unhappy with the heat of gibbs.

listen to oxstar he is a master internet i mean technician and floors it a few times a...i mean races his car all the time so uhh yeah 3 quarts is plenty if you go by his word. never mind heat and gravity and all that crazy physics stuff.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Oxtar41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
thats what i did. better and heavier oil with a little less then 8. before cam and last few track days i had gibbs in mine. my tuner likes amsoil z-rod 10w-30. so i will be switching to that this week at somewhere a little less than 8 quarts as i know what my car likes. was unhappy with the heat of gibbs.

listen to oxstar he is a master internet i mean technician and floors it a few times a...i mean races his car all the time so uhh yeah 3 quarts is plenty if you go by his word. never mind heat and gravity and all that crazy physics stuff.

You want me to email you pictures of my certifications? You are an idiot and obviously too stupid to understand anything I wrote in the above postings. Hell my name is right in front of you and you cant even manage to spell that correctly, probably due to the fact you cant read so let me break it down for you.

The oil pan should have a baffle in it to prevent excess sloshing while cornering, hard acceleration etc which keeps the oil in the area of the pick up tube. Understand? Or do I have to break it down even further for you?

At any givin time there probably 2-3 quarts being pumped through the engine so that leaves roughly 4-5 quarts in the pan which would be MORE then enough even while racing the car due to the reason stated above.

What I was referring to with the "3 quarts" is the oil pick up sits far enough down in the pan to suck up oil even if its a minimal amount. Do I recommend driving around with 3 quarts? No. But as a technician I have seen cars come in with less the 2 quarts of oil and still maintained regular oil pressure and caused no damage. Again, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone it was due to the owners not taking care of their vehicle.

7 quarts in these engines is completely fine. Please show me the data and explain to me WHY and WHAT is going to happen running a quart low. You can't. You even say you don't run a full 8 quarts but do you REALLY think that your engine is safer because you run .5 quarts more? .5 quarts in our 8 qt pans is such a minimal increase its negligible.

Multiple REPUTABLE shops, and supporters of this forum have went over this issue and deemed 7 quarts is still ENOUGH to efficiently and safely run these cars. In fact heres a quote from Ted Jannetty himself in one of my threads. But I guess you are way smarter then Ted and many of the other reputable shops on this issue. Whats the name of your shop again? That's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
These Heavy duty valvetrains are noisy, we are working with High lift cams and heavy valve springs.

The side to side clearence is normal (engine Off) but does not move when the engine is running.

Most valvetrain noise can be attributed to too much oil in the crankcase, there have been many discussions about it.

Everyone is so anal about filling the oil to the tippy top line on the stick.

Personally I like them on or just above the lower line on the stick.

7 Quarts with Filter on an oil change.

Ted.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
hell if it messes up , 416 anyway. but it wont , ive ran around in cars that used a 1/4 per mile lol. but anyway if u cant afford to fix ur car if it tears up. u shouldnt be modding it anyway. u can tell whats going on by oil pressure. i dont road race so dont have to worry about that. I doing this as advised by top ls mech. NOT some random guy thinking he knows what to do.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Thanks for the responses guys; we tore the motor down this past weekend and noticed the bottom of the exhaust gasket on one of the ports was blown out. So, I think this is the problem. We saw nothing else wrong.

It's very odd because the stethoscope indicated the loudest tick sound was coming from the intake port of the same cylinder with the blown exhaust gasket. It's a first for me.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
camaro34

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Why are you guys running 10w-30?
camaro34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
[QUOTE=Oxtar41;6300869]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
wait what? you are running a quart low then the engine is specd for on purpose?

aannnnddd you are advising to someone who tracks their car to run a quart low? what in the world?[/QUOT

7 quarts is fine for the car. It reads on the min line of the dipstick. Many people who track their cars actually run a little low. Do some research on windage. Having the bottom of the crank sit in the oil does more harm then running a quart lower woulld. For the reason of making the oil aerated and it actually reduces HP.
I agree, 7 quarts is plenty. Its is common practice upon engine assembly to do some mocking and measuring to see where the oil level will be in relationship to the rotating assembly. If its too high, it can definitely cause some weird issues, especially with hydraulic lifters, whipping the oil into a froth isnt good. On a new engine build, I always try to go with the least amount of oil that will do the job, while maintaining pressure and temperature.

The weird thing is that GM would miss this, but I can see maybe the level at 8qts being close enough to the crank that some tolerance stack up of components could put it too close.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote