Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #57
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
If they wait till the sixth gen we will have a really long wait. Chevy doesn't typically release a HP model in the first year of a body style. Look how long it took for the ZL1. That's why not having one in the fifth gen would be such a huge disappointment. They could wait till the seventh gen and it would be guaranteed to be a better Z28 than the sixth gen Z would be but that would be disaster. It would be almost as bad as never again building one. It doesn't have to be a Bugatti Veyron. It just needs to stay true to it's roots and land somewhere in price where the less than elite can afford it. With new CAFE regulations looming the longer they wait, the more expensive the car becomes. The pieces are in play now. All they need to do is pull the trigger.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #58
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
If they wait till the sixth gen we will have a really long wait. Chevy doesn't typically release a HP model in the first year of a body style. Look how long it took for the ZL1. That's why not having one in the fifth gen would be such a huge disappointment. They could wait till the seventh gen and it would be guaranteed to be a better Z28 than the sixth gen Z would be but that would be disaster. It would be almost as bad as never again building one. It doesn't have to be a Bugatti Veyron. It just needs to stay true to it's roots and land somewhere in price where the less than elite can afford it. With new CAFE regulations looming the longer they wait, the more expensive the car becomes. The pieces are in play now. All they need to do is pull the trigger.
I'm pretty sure GM is aware of ppl wanting one in a 5th gen. But we know that's not happening unless we get some type of word about it next yr. but I find it hard to believe GM will pump out another model before switching platforms with the already: SS, 1LE & ZL-1. To make a Z-28 that the ppl want, wouldn't it be smarter to wait until the next platform where you have a lighter,faster track car? Sure everyone wants one now but I highly doubt we see it until platform change. Also, you're right about adding models later but I think if GM pulls out the 2015 camaro as a 6th gen as stating, then 2016 they'd unveil a Z-28 if I had to guess to give ppl the choice between the 2 models.

Hurry up & wait! That's what it's all about! Lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #59
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Once a car is a success they have the money to build on that, along with the need to further market the car so it reaches a larger or at least consistent audience. This keeps it from going stale i.e. 4Gen. The problem is now the demand is high for a Z28. This will allow the car's price to be inflated by dealers. Think Boss LS.

BTW, those that keep saying the Z28 needs to be lighter, it has never been a lighter Camaro or sports car in its history! All a Z28 needs to be is a more powerful and trackable Camaro. Take a 1LE which is already very trackable and add more power and your done!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #60
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Once a car is a success they have the money to build on that, along with the need to further market the car so it reaches a larger or at least consistent audience. This keeps it from going stale i.e. 4Gen. The problem is now the demand is high for a Z28. This will allow the car's price to be inflated by dealers. Think Boss LS.

BTW, those that keep saying the Z28 needs to be lighter, it has never been a lighter Camaro or sports car in its history! All a Z28 needs to be is a more powerful and trackable Camaro. Take a 1LE which is already very trackable and add more power and your done!
I'll agree that a Z/28 has never been lighter than any other similarly equipped Camaro. At the same time, I'll add that a near two ton Z/28 does not inspire awe for me (and yes, I know that the current 1LE with an LS7 would be a pretty good performer). While I'd like to see a 5th gen Z/28 (and I think the 5th gen body simply screams for a Z/28 version), a 6th gen Z/28 would likely be 300 lbs lighter than the current 5th gen models, that lower weight would allow similar performance with less HP and I think that's a big plus. So which would I prefer? Well both naturally!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #61
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I'll agree that a Z/28 has never been lighter than any other similarly equipped Camaro. At the same time, I'll add that a near two ton Z/28 does not inspire awe for me (and yes, I know that the current 1LE with an LS7 would be a pretty good performer). While I'd like to see a 5th gen Z/28 (and I think the 5th gen body simply screams for a Z/28 version), a 6th gen Z/28 would likely be 300 lbs lighter than the current 5th gen models, that lower weight would allow similar performance with less HP and I think that's a big plus. So which would I prefer? Well both naturally!!
Clyde
This! No one ever said that the Z-28 would be lighter than the SS or any other model. Ppl are simply saying the car as a whole be lighter which in turn would become a better track car. Now I can honestly say I'm happy the 1LE is NOT the Z everyone was hoping for. GM needs to make this model "if they do," their favorable camaro to date next to the ZL-1 which will never be surpassed IMO. I would think 300lbs lighter and 450-500HP NA would be THE supreme track monster.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #62
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Of course a next Gen (anything) will be better, but why does that mean a 5Gen Z28 is not warranted? If that is the case wait till the 10Gen??? 20Gen???

I can tell you from experience newer is not always better.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
This! No one ever said that the Z-28 would be lighter than the SS or any other model. Ppl are simply saying the car as a whole be lighter which in turn would become a better track car. Now I can honestly say I'm happy the 1LE is NOT the Z everyone was hoping for. GM needs to make this model "if they do," their favorable camaro to date next to the ZL-1 which will never be surpassed IMO. I would think 300lbs lighter and 450-500HP NA would be THE supreme track monster.
I also agree about the 1LE not being called a Z28 and I like the 1LE enough that I plan on getting one in the spring. I think it would also take a few extra special things besides more power to make a 1LE a Z28. Definitely a different hood and upgraded brakes and maybe some suprises like PTM was on the ZL1. Truth be told the Z28 will most likely remain a dream car for me whether they build one or not but i do have an interest in how it will be built. I'm sure when it comes out it will be worthy of the name it's just that the Z28 die hard guys on here have been asking for one for so long and would like to see it sooner more than later. I think most on here would be fine with a 5th gen Z even if it wouldn't be as good as a 6th gen because the 5th gen body style has been such a slam dunk. It seems like we're running out of words, not faith, because a Z28 was wanted as soon as the concept was announced and then the ZL1 as awesome as it is isn't a Z28. On a side note, I really like your SS. ABM with white stripes is my favorite color combo.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #64
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
"It seems like we're running out of words, not faith, because a Z28 was wanted as soon as the concept was announced"

As soon as colors, etc were being photoshopped on the concept pics, I had Dragoneye do one for me in my favorite green with Z/28 emblems (it's also my avatar on this forum). So yes, I've wanted a 5th gen Z/28 since the first day the concept was ever shown, a disappointing long wait because as of yet we have no indication of one being built.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #65
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...cash cows need to be milked dry...it's just the way it is with cars...not smart phones or other devices. Join Rip Van Winkle for a performance nap. ZZZZZZZZZ.....
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #66
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
The Z/28 will respark the Camaro. That's their big gun, makes no sense to bring it out as a 5th Gen. It'll get released....
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #67
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
If they wait until the 6th Gen, I'm guessing the Z/28 will be released for the 50th anniversary. If they do that, they better build the best Camaro they can Corvette or no Corvette. I doubt that will happen so who knows how it will end up. The key to this situation is what engines will be developed with the new LT series.

Or GM could do a crash course engine program like the 302 in the BOSS but that would be too expensive right?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #68
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
The Z/28 will respark the Camaro. That's their big gun, makes no sense to bring it out as a 5th Gen. It'll get released....
The 5th Gen literally resparked the Camaro so it makes no sense not the bring it back in the 5th Gen. What better way to send off the revival of the Camaro than with reviving the most iconic Camaro ever?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #69
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The 5th Gen literally resparked the Camaro so it makes no sense not the bring it back in the 5th Gen. What better way to send off the revival of the Camaro than with reviving the most iconic Camaro ever?
Idk, while its a long shot it is possible as a 2014. BUT.... GM needs to announce its return ASAP for it to happen and beings no talk is heard of, I doubt we see it until 2015 or 2016 as a 6th gen.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #70
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I honestly don't understand why everyone is hung up on a name. The name doesn't make the car. The car makes the name. I don't care what they call a call if it performs well.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote