Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
I'll get my friend to upload the video to youtube.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
The 5.0 is no slouch. I would by a new SS before a GT, but I will admit stock for stock, a 5.0 sounds a little more rumbly than a 6.2. I haven't head an LS3 to compare, just an LLT.

And my truck has the 5.0 coyote (just a different variation), and I'll say the thing has some freaking power to it. My dad bought a 2014 high country silverado and it feels like it's got a lot more power than the new 5.3's GM is using.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
If you want to learn how the engineers got a lot of power out of the 5.0, here you go:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...e/viewall.html

Very long read but it contains a lot of information about the 5.0. I would at least read the exhaust manifold section, they discuss the design of the Tri-Y headers they used.

Also this episode explains Ti-VCT used.

http://twoguysgarage.com/tgg-909-2011-mustang/
Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
You cannot compare a DOHC motor to an OHV motor by displacement. The two motors work completely differently. The advantage of the OHV (pushrod) motor is that you can fit a lot of displacement in a comparatively small package and you don't have to rev as high to get the power. The DOHC motor requires more complicated components, and it is difficult to get the large displacement because of the comparatively bulky package. Thus, the technology allows you to "rev higher" due to the limited displacement.

The 5.0L Coyote weighs 444 pounds according to these links.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...L-Crate-Engine

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11829

The weight of the LS3 is harder to find. I'm seeing official work as 415 lbs, but people are claiming in the 35x's when you subtract the packaging.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,1302582

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...s3-weight.html

My point is that displacement doesn't judge engine size unless you are comparing the same type of motor (pushrod vs pushrod). Actual engine size and weight dictate engine size. DOHC motors are HUGE compared to simple pushrod motors. The LS3 is actually smaller and lighter, so while the motors are actually rated about the same in terms of power, the LS3 is actually the smaller, more efficient motor. The Ford motor is the larger motor and makes less power per pound, and that's what really matters. LS series motors are some of the most "swapped in" motors of all time because of how tiny they are for the power they put out.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Bigger displacement DOHC "coyotes" will come eventually. This is Ford's first attempt at a revolutionary design. I suspect a 351 dohc c.i is not far off.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
DOHC is great if you want to run a stock engine or are heir to the Hughes fortune. Four valves vs two is a no brainer until the bill comes.

For me it means four times the cost to do a cam swap. The engine is harder to work on and the dealership thinks everything requires pulling the motor, so you just keep swapping motors when stuff breaks.

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to the LT1 because it means parts cost more and are harder to change. I'm glad they made a bazillion LS engines so I will have motors until I'm too old to hot rod.

I can see myself 30 years from now in the same Camaro racing up through all the cars on I95. Every time I get close to one, it will automatically hit its brake because it does not want to run into me.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
I'll get my friend to upload the video to youtube.
Ok Im not saying it didnt happen I just wanna see it!
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
DOHC is great if you want to run a stock engine or are heir to the Hughes fortune. Four valves vs two is a no brainer until the bill comes.

For me it means four times the cost to do a cam swap. The engine is harder to work on and the dealership thinks everything requires pulling the motor, so you just keep swapping motors when stuff breaks.

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to the LT1 because it means parts cost more and are harder to change. I'm glad they made a bazillion LS engines so I will have motors until I'm too old to hot rod.

I can see myself 30 years from now in the same Camaro racing up through all the cars on I95. Every time I get close to one, it will automatically hit its brake because it does not want to run into me.

I dont wanna sound like a ding-dong but whats the difference in the LS and LT1 engines?
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #23
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
You guys will have fun with the LT1 and Direct Injection. Different thinking is required since you can run leaner without knocking.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
I have a pretty good understanding of how motors work (and the anatomy of a motor), but I have a hard time understanding something. Why is it that the 5.0 coyote motor produces as much horsepower and torque as a 6.2 ls3? Our motors are huge so you'd think they'd produce more power. Why don't they? Is this a design thing or something?

EDIT sorry accidently posted in wrong forum
The simple answer is higher RPM. Also, the coyote produces as much horsepower and LESS torque as a 6.2 LS3, but at PEAK which is a very narrow range.

The 6.2 still has advantages from being a higher displacement motor. There is more power under the curve all the way up to 6200 or 6300 rpm.

For being a simple pushrod single cam two valve motor the LS3 is very impressive. The coyote on the other hand uses variable valve timing, four valves, and wide band oxygen sensors and ties the LS3 in a very narrow range.

Last edited by cbass; 09-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #25
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Bigger displacement DOHC "coyotes" will come eventually. This is Ford's first attempt at a revolutionary design. I suspect a 351 dohc c.i is not far off.
Maybe or maybe not. The problem with a DOHC engine is the space it takes up. This is not such a concern on a pushrod motor which is very compact. Cars are getting smaller and lighter and hood space is decreasing. For a DOHC engine that makes it difficult to increase displacement. I can see a bigger displacement DOHC coyote in a truck, but on a mustang it will be difficult.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
I dont wanna sound like a ding-dong but whats the difference in the LS and LT1 engines?
The LT1 is all aluminum instead of a mix of aluminum and cast iron. It also has AFM, direct injection, CVVT and a variable displacement oil pump.

The HP is increased to 455 hp and the torque is increased to 460 lb-ft with the same 6.2L displacement and pushrod technology.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
Plus I believe mod for mod we will have bigger gains because of bigger displacement, all other things being equal. Remember the old saying... "there is no repalcement for displacement..."
LMAO

Best sticker I ever found was on the back of a GT-R that said "I am the replacement for displacement".

Boosting either by supercharging or turboing will beat displacement anyday and at any elevation.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #28
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
ohhhh okay. So Pushrods require much less space up top than, say, DOHC would need. duh I guess. If i'm correct, I believe our cars have two valves per cylinder where as others mostly go for four valves per cylinder. This would explain why 5.0 is DOHC?

On a side note, I remember talking to a Corvette guy the other day, he said the LS3 heads we have are incredibly good.

But so from what i'm getting, a bigger displacement means that any mod that increases airflow will increase the power lots more than a motor with a smaller displacement? So to speak, this would be the same concept for supercharging then right? A bigger displacement just allows more room for the combustion..
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote