Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
adz817

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT Camaro
Problem with Vararam CAI

I got my Vararam CAI back in May and installed it myself. Every since then I've had a "squeaking/whistling" sound come from the engine. Kind of sounds like a fan or belt may be lose. I've checked if everything was still installed correctly on the CAI several times but nothing was loose or broken.
So I took it to a local Chevy dealership, and they said it might be the Harmonic Balancer, they replaced it, still had the sound. They next replace the Crankshaft and the timing belts. The noise went away for a couple of hours but it returned, and this time I started to get a check engine light. At this point the dealership does not know whats causing the noise. They then start checking other components and found that if they remove the Chrome VR breather (came with the Vararam CAI) from the hose its connected to, the noise stops. They let the engine run and the noise does not come back on. They put the VR breather back on and after some build up, the noise starts back up. The dealership tells me if I dont want the noise or the CEL to go away I should replace the Vararam with the stock CAI.

I was hoping someone has heard of this happening before and provide some advice. I'm thinking of replaceing the Vararam CAI this weekend to see if there really is a difference.

adz817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Replace the ugly chrome breather with the RX Breather oil-cap. You can then remove the hose that the chrome breather is attached to, and cap off the line where it goes into the head at the rear of the engine.

See this thread for more info (post #14 especially):
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=breather+cap

No need to replace the Vararam CAI, just lose the cheap breather. I have this set-up on mine with no whistle...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
I would be exited you found a mod friendly dealer!!! Oh and do what was said above too...

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Agreed, don't replace the vararam. Take it as an opportunity to add a catch can with a breather or at the very least the breather. That should stop the noise

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
adz817

Thanks for the help. Already looking for a place that sells a breather locally.
Any ideas why VR breather would cause the noise in the first place?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
One, it's a cheap POS from the 60s era...

Two, and maybe Tracy will chime in, it probably has something to do with it letting too much flow through it. The Rx breather oil-cap has built-in regulation for proper crankcase ventilation - or something like that.

I not sure you'll find it locally. I know you can order it from JDP Motorsports, Revxtreme (Rx), Southwest Speed - all of which are sponsors here.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
adz817. I have taken the breather apart and on the end that the hose gos on if you look in the end you can see how the venting is controlled by a flap of metal. Its realy a circle that is three quarters cut and then pushed up a little bit so air can travel threw. I have had a few of these in the past that didn't have much opening at all and would push the tab in alittle more to give more air. Maybe the opening is just enough to make a stupid sound. This is realy just my view.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
adz817

Update: So I got my RX Breather, removed the VR breather and hose it was attached to and capped off the component on the engine it was attached to. Noise went away but I'm still getting the CEL. The CEL will comes and goes every 100-200 miles. Was thinking a tune might help but I'm also worried that when the dealership got into the car changed/repalced some parts, they created another problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
What code is being thrown to cause the CEL?

If you don't have a code reading device, hit up Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and have them read it for you next time it lights up.