Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
FlyingTiger65

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Carbon Build up on Valve #2 on 2012 V6

I had to take in my 2012 RS to the dealership because engine light was on and the stabil-track light was too. First they told me it was bad gas, continue to drive will clear up. After another tank from a different vendor, the same thing lights, hesitation and vibrations. It was really bad in stop and go traffic. I just now got off the phone with the dealership and they are now telling me that there are two other 2012 Camaros (all three are white) have the same problem. I was told that the valves on all three Camaros are gunked up, they all have about the same number of miles on them and the engines look like they are 100,000 + on them. WTH????!!!!!!

NOW.... Back in the shop same problem, now replaceing the valves. They are under GM directive now. Only 13,800 miles on Camaro. Very shocked about this!!!! anyone else experince this?
FlyingTiger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
It will be on all the valves. By 10K miles the build up is so bad on any DI motor as no fuel passes the intake side of the valves:

Install a properly functioning oil separating catchcan and you prevent it from ever happening. The key is a can that does not let as much through as it catches, and that is only a couple.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTiger65 View Post
I had to take in my 2012 RS to the dealership because engine light was on and the stabil-track light was too. First they told me it was bad gas, continue to drive will clear up. After another tank from a different vendor, the same thing lights, hesitation and vibrations. It was really bad in stop and go traffic. I just now got off the phone with the dealership and they are now telling me that there are two other 2012 Camaros (all three are white) have the same problem. I was told that the valves on all three Camaros are gunked up, they all have about the same number of miles on them and the engines look like they are 100,000 + on them. WTH????!!!!!!

NOW.... Back in the shop same problem, now replaceing the valves. They are under GM directive now. Only 13,800 miles on Camaro. Very shocked about this!!!! anyone else experince this?
I am sorry to hear this. Please let us know how everything goes at the service appointment. We are here if you have any questions or concerns.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Man, next thing they will come back with the walnut shell blasters for cleaning them on the vehicle. Haven't seen one of those since the 90's.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Just curious-where did you get your gas from and which octane do you use? Any modifications? I actually placed an order for a catch can yesterday. My 2012 2LT RS is barely over 1,500 miles. I hope it's not 1,500 miles too late. At least mine is Victory Red... Hope your situation is resolved.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

On the DI motors, no fuel travels past the intake valves so cheap or top tier has no effect.

The DI motor the fuel is introduced directly into combustion chamber and when the piston is well on its way up the compression stroke so the fuel is in the combustion chamber only milleseconds.

With a traditional port injection like the V8's still have the top tier fuels with "anti gunk" additives still help keep the valves clean, but in the next few years they will be DI as well.\ and they will face the same issues.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
FlyingTiger65

No Mods, COSTCO gas 93oct, I have been using that brand for almost 6 years although it was in a 2004 Avalanche. with a Vortec engine.

Last edited by FlyingTiger65; 08-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Hope that get's resolved before the V8's go DI.

It would be interesting to do some high mileage comparisons on a DI V6. One non top tier gas, one top tier, one top tier and catch can.

I'm wondering if top tier might make a difference, as some engines may have some combustion reversion or is it really all from crankcase vapors?

Anyone know of a catch can kit that would fit a new Chevy Traverse with the 3.6 LLT V6? I would think the Camaro kits might work with some creative mounting brackets to locate the can somewhere.

My elderly mother just bought one, and I'd rather not see her valves get gunked up.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Almost all comes from the dirty side ingestion, a very little from the clean side, and a small amount from reversion (yes, the DI motors have a small amount of reversion as russel mentions).

We have done tests on the LLT with one brought in right from the dealer (well, had like 86 miles on it) and another w.no can for 12k miles. No oil in the intake on the one running the RX can since new (we need to remove the intake in the futre so we can take pictures of the valves themselves) VS the one w/out a can so that is the most mileage with a test like that so far. I would like to see 50k & 100k miles to compare.

Top tire fuel only helps on the port inj and it does....the Shell commercials where they show the valves are accurate.

Yes, we make a can for all the mid & full size trucks.

Just the mount location changes some.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Lance455

Drives: 2012 Camaro M6 2LT
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Almost all comes from the dirty side ingestion, a very little from the clean side, and a small amount from reversion (yes, the DI motors have a small amount of reversion as russel mentions).

We have done tests on the LLT with one brought in right from the dealer (well, had like 86 miles on it) and another w.no can for 12k miles. No oil in the intake on the one running the RX can since new (we need to remove the intake in the futre so we can take pictures of the valves themselves) VS the one w/out a can so that is the most mileage with a test like that so far. I would like to see 50k & 100k miles to compare.

Top tire fuel only helps on the port inj and it does....the Shell commercials where they show the valves are accurate.

Yes, we make a can for all the mid & full size trucks.

Just the mount location changes some.
Just was wondering how far did u go on oil changes the op also during the trail with the catch can and with out.
Lance455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
That's a good question. I would think fresh synthetic might be less prone to carbonizing on the valves. Short vs long trip driving may also play a role, engine temp....

Miles between changes on those gunked up valves? Type of oil used?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
FlyingTiger65

Oil Used is semi synthetic and 3500 between oil changes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Flying....I strongly reccomend ignoring the owners manual for the syn blend. After break-in full syn only. We tear these motors down all the time and the timing chain design sucks and full syn will prevent wear/stretch better than the semi syn.

The build-up seems to be the same for full syn or semi blend.

It is any oil ingestion into the intake air charge....and the only solution is to trap it before it enters the charge....and GM is not alone, it is ALL DI motors import and domestic.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
It will be on all the valves. By 10K miles the build up is so bad on any DI motor as no fuel passes the intake side of the valves:

Install a properly functioning oil separating catchcan and you prevent it from ever happening. The key is a can that does not let as much through as it catches, and that is only a couple.

I will have to disagree somewhat, my 2010 v6 had 27000 miles on it when I traded it. I had no catch can and it ran as well or better than it did when new, also my mileage was still running at 19 in the city and over 30 on the highway. Can you or anyone else explain why mine was different?