Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
maxcamaro

Drives: 2013 2ls
Modding With No Tune??

Is it worth modding my V6 camaro even if I don't put a tune on it?
I was going to install a CAI, performance tires, and an exhaust system but I don't know which one i want to get yet. I'm going to tune it eventually but after my warranty is over. Is it worth modding now or should I just wait until I'm ready to tune it?
maxcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
None of those things require a tune so get busy
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You won't gain all that much, the LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.
What is not that much? please elaborate how adding a CAI (CAI) to a 2LS
will do less than adding it to any other V6,

Better yet how does replacing the exhaust in a LS vs an RS not gain much

You have me intrigued.....about this, that leads me to another question,

With the speed limiting tuned out, what do you project is the top speed of an LS vs RS? An LS is turning just over 2200 rpm at 90..An LS may be a "ever so much slower" in the quarter, but pulling at 80 mph plus, is pretty sweet on a track

MOD THAT LS ALL THE WAY OUT YOU WILL GET GAINS.....

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
youll add some power with those things and you don't need a tune. A tune is usually recommended if you get headers and what not . . mod away!
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fullgarage View Post
What is not that much? please elaborate how adding a CAI (CAI) to a 2LS
will do less than adding it to any other V6,

Better yet how does replacing the exhaust in a LS vs an RS not gain much

You have me intrigued.....about this, that leads me to another question,

With the speed limiting tuned out, what do you project is the top speed of an LS vs RS? An LS is turning just over 2200 rpm at 90..An LS may be a "ever so much slower" in the quarter, but pulling at 80 mph plus, is pretty sweet on a track

MOD THAT LS ALL THE WAY OUT YOU WILL GET GAINS.....
You do not gain that much adding that stuff to anything.
They are more for looks/sound until you get supporting mods and even then its minimal.

OP non of those things require a tune so you are safe in swapping them out.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fast_one View Post
You do not gain that much adding that stuff to anything. They are more for looks/sound until you get supporting mods and even then its minimal. .
22hp and 10 on the torque side with a CAI (and a tune) on a v6 is not much THAT IS AT THE FREAKIN WHEELS...WTF are you talking about? exhaust work on an LFX is pointless but upgrading the exhaust on an LLT is minimal too?

Not to mention the tune allows a change in shift points and lifting of the Top speed limiter

Mod it, tune it..enjoy it

Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
The intake will get you a better throttle response & a little HP depending on the brand you choose. I lost 30 lbs off my rear end taking off those butt ugly mufflers & putting on a Borla exhaust & it sounds better. A ported throttle body will also help with throttle response & a little HP. I'm not the expert but I understand the gearing is different in the LS versus LT's so I'm not sure how much of a hinderance that will be but a tune might help with that too. I know my permagrin is bigger for my mods. Your car, you choose but A few mods sure won't hurt.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Quote:
22hp and 10 on the torque side with a CAI (and a tune) on a v6 is not much THAT IS AT THE FREAKIN WHEELS...WTF are you talking about? exhaust work on an LFX is pointless but upgrading the exhaust on an LLT is minimal too?

Not to mention the tune allows a change in shift points and lifting of the Top speed limiter

Mod it, tune it..enjoy it
He does not want to tune it so your argument is invalid.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I was wondering if someone would point that out.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

My bad... I could not find the baseline run or the run without tune after CAI install, my stuff is not organized. I thought that is what I had

22/10 is with tune on a CAI, the baseline was also with the CAI
__________________________________________________ ________

Looks like he does not want to tune and loose the factory warranty since it is a brand new car

I guess what pissed me off was this statement: "You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG"...That was ignorant in my opinion

"Since these parts do not make a HP impact on an economy model fuel efficient Camaro 2LS and are for sound only"……

1) XYZ tuning has a $118 dollar cold air intake with sheet metal enclosure and hood gasket for the top edge of it, looks like a Rotofab knock-off
2) You can also find a Magnaflow axle back exhaust for under $300 cut the old off, bolt these on.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
My bad... I could not find the baseline run or the run without tune after CAI install, my stuff is not organized. I thought that is what I had

22/10 is with tune on a CAI, the baseline was also with the CAI
__________________________________________________ ________

Looks like he does not want to tune and loose the factory warranty since it is a brand new car

I guess what pissed me off was this statement: "You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG"...That was ignorant in my opinion

"Since these parts do not make a HP impact on an economy model fuel efficient Camaro 2LS and are for sound only"……

1) XYZ tuning has a $118 dollar cold air intake with sheet metal enclosure and hood gasket for the top edge of it, looks like a Rotofab knock-off
2) You can also find a Magnaflow axle back exhaust for under $300 cut the old off, bolt these on.

What's the matter there Bubba, strike a nerve ? Tell us, how much of that 22 rwhp gain was the tune ? My statement stands based on the setup of the cars gearing for economy. Gee do you even know if he has an A6 or M6, the A6 has more limitations than the M6 ...
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I don't know anything about the performance of the sixes, but I would buy the LS just because it comes with those steelies. Most people hate them but I love them. I think I heard they aren't making them anymore. Boo.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
RA1987

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.
^^^this

Save your hard earned money for a supercharger or move up to an SS. Spend your money wisely.
RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, mod, tune