Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
peregrine_alpha

Drives: Camaro RS
Post Solution to Rasp and Drone after headers Upgrade

Hello mates,

i just want to share my bad experience with the sound of my v6 camaro 2011, so if you went through the same problem dont waste your time and money, and go straight to the right slution.

I was happy with my Borla CatBack system until i installed american racing headers with no cats

The story begins when I purchased an american racing header system with no cats part number CAV6SHNC for my 2011 V6 Camaro.

I had Borla Cat back installed, and i have to say with the installation of the headers, the sound of the car dramatically changed to a lot of drone and rasp.

the problem is that i dont live in the US and i already paid around $4000 for the exhaust problem with shipping and customs duty and taxes. and we also dont have any of the brands you have here in the US to buy them localy.

i read different reviews everywhere, some say i shld have 2.5 pipes, some say to go H pipe. some say Stainless works are best, some say magnaflow with resonated xpipes is the best.

I really cant afford any more money to loose like that, shipping heavy packages is costing me a lot.

So i sent a small PM to Chase from Apex. I have to say, Chase is a very kind guy, he replied to me in no time, and gave me his precious advice. and then i asked him too many questions, and he wasnt bothered at all, he happily supported me.

The solutions that did NOT work for me:
1- Straight pipes: awful sound dont even try it
2- Straight pipes with custom mufflers: Drone and Rasp all the way
3- Straight pipes with custom mufflers and long resonators: Drone and Rasp above 3000RPM
4- Straight pipes with custom double chambered mufflers and long resonators: Drone and Rasp above 4000RPM
5- Magnaflow resonated x pipes with custom mufflers: No drone No rasp, but sound is too low

Believe me guys this is the ultimate sound for a v6! im in love with it!!

Chase gave me today a cheap solution i believe it will help me out, which is to buy the magnaflow resonated X pipes from Apex.

I thank him for his simple and honest advice, he could have sold me a solution of $1000 with a new catback system.

So guys i am gonna purchase this muffler, and get back to you asap! stay tuned!!!

Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaahhhh!!!!
The only winning Solution:
Magnaflow Resonated x Pipe and muffler delete!

Last edited by peregrine_alpha; 01-22-2014 at 03:09 PM.
peregrine_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
He is correct. X-pipe is the ultimate solution. Solo is another option for this. They are usually a cheaper solution than Magnaflow. Give Steve a call, never hurts to get a quote especially with international shipping.
Either way you are dealing with great people that will treat you well.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
He is correct. X-pipe is the ultimate solution. Solo is another option for this. They are usually a cheaper solution than Magnaflow. Give Steve a call, never hurts to get a quote especially with international shipping.
Either way you are dealing with great people that will treat you well.
Yeah thanks for giving me an extra option ill try magnaflow first and update this thread once installed!
peregrine_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
I have the magnaflow resonated X pipe muffler and everyone excluding myself is in love with the sound.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
I have the magnaflow resonated X pipe muffler and everyone excluding myself is in love with the sound.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
why? doest give an over mellow sound ?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Did you ever tune it while having headers?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
Did you ever tune it while having headers?
Yes i went trifecfa at first. Very bad service and awful tune.

Then i moved to ipf with Andy and Arno, excellent service and awsome tune.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine_alpha View Post
why? doest give an over mellow sound ?
Yep! not high pitched at all. even at wot it sounds perfect and its not so loud to attract cops.
Even the hard headed muscle and import guys say it sounds real good (not that i care) but people never give respect to the underdogs until you prove them wrong and lets be real if you go on youtube imo most of the V6 exhaust clips sound like trash or they might sound good but are just too loud for me. you also have to take in consideration of drone so you have to choose wisely because we all know how expensive parts are for these cars.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Yep! not high pitched at all. even at wot it sounds perfect and its not so loud to attract cops.
Even the hard headed muscle and import guys say it sounds real good (not that i care) but people never give respect to the underdogs until you prove them wrong and lets be real if you go on youtube imo most of the V6 exhaust clips sound like trash or they might sound good but are just too loud for me. you also have to take in consideration of drone so you have to choose wisely because we all know how expensive parts are for these cars.
Oh i see! Thanks for ur feedback. Do have any video or audi record for the sound of ur car?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Or ..................just hang on a while & see what happens with the new H-pipe system ARH designed (I have the first one) to be installed shortly after I return from going out of town. They have designed it to improve the sound of the V6 with ARH long tube headers. I just wanted to try this out after Nick at ARH offered to let me be the first to try it.

OP I hope your system works well for you. Most here seem to love it. And you are right, Chase is great to work with. He has helped me a lot!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

I need to do a drive by one because to me the free revs don't do justice. i also should have put more distance between the car and my phone but oh well.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Or ..................just hang on a while & see what happens with the new H-pipe system ARH designed (I have the first one) to be installed shortly after I return from going out of town. They have designed it to improve the sound of the V6 with ARH long tube headers. I just wanted to try this out after Nick at ARH offered to let me be the first to try it.

OP I hope your system works well for you. Most here seem to love it. And you are right, Chase is great to work with. He has helped me a lot!

Nick offered me the same thing but i cant try something without hearing it!! i live overseas and the shipping added to customs and taxes will cost me around $1000 extra on the ARH H-pipe system! so couldnt risk it!!!

but cant wait to hear your car's sound with this new system!! please come back and update us when you do!!

Quote:
I need to do a drive by one because to me the free revs don't do justice. i also should have put more distance between the car and my phone but oh well.

Yeah that's tooooo lowww!! do u still have the stock mufflers ? maybe thats the reason u have that low sound
Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Stainless Works stated the X pipe made the rasp worse. They went with a chambered exhaust , not talking about the mufflers, and more of a H pipe. I had a Stainless Works X pipe , however it broke. I replaced it with the resonated Magnaflow, it sounds a hellava lot better.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
Stainless Works stated the X pipe made the rasp worse. They went with a chambered exhaust , not talking about the mufflers, and more of a H pipe. I had a Stainless Works X pipe , however it broke. I replaced it with the resonated Magnaflow, it sounds a hellava lot better.
True! I contacted stainless works, and they advised me to go with their H pipe retro chambero catback. Seems H pipe is the little secrer for our v6 sound problem.

If my magnaflow didnt work as expected, ill go SW and post the result here for sure!