Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
I have also submitted this query to badnewsracing.net:

Some previous customers are reporting the ECU and TCU are locked by the Trifecta tune and has to be reflashed at a dealer to unlock...specifically 2010 LLT Camaros where the owner decides to load another vendors tune. Is this true and how can I tell if mine is locked?
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
will check back as I have a Trifecta
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
jkchambless
Austin LT

Other than trying to load another tune, is there a way to tell whether its locked?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #18
peregrine_alpha

Drives: Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
I have also submitted this query to badnewsracing.net:

Some previous customers are reporting the ECU and TCU are locked by the Trifecta tune and has to be reflashed at a dealer to unlock...specifically 2010 LLT Camaros where the owner decides to load another vendors tune. Is this true and how can I tell if mine is locked?
Quote:
Other than trying to load another tune, is there a way to tell whether its locked?

Yes it is true! and to unlock ur ECU and TCU u will need to go to a GM dealer and ask for an MDI to both ur ECU and TCU.

you cant really know if it is locked or no untill u try to load a tune and gives u an error.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
jkchambless
Austin LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine_alpha View Post
Yes it is true! and to unlock ur ECU and TCU u will need to go to a GM dealer and ask for an MDI to both ur ECU and TCU.

you cant really know if it is locked or no untill u try to load a tune and gives u an error.
No offense....it was true for you or at least appeared to be. Others report no locking, and the original Trifecta site specifically stated that it did not lock the ECU. The purpose of my emails is to get some type of confirmation from Trifecta or badnewsracing or from an independent source.

Also, in both the threads you created about this you mentioned a programming "trick" the IPF used to get around the lock....any specifics on this?

I received a response to my query from badnewsracing....the jist of the email was that the ECU is not locked if flashed back to stock. Frankly, the email was a little ambiguous so I have asked for some clarification. I will post the entire email thread after receiving a more definitive reply.

Last edited by jkchambless; 01-23-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
All the research I've done on this is that the ECM and TCM are NOT locked by Trifecta. It is the IPF tune the one that needs a clean GM file to upload their tune onto. I know a lot of the LFX guys have been able to go from Trifecta to HP Tuners with no need to reflash at all. If I'm wrong someone please correct me but that's what I have read after countless hours of research for when I was thinking about an IPF tune.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
This kind of makes me want to switch over. Can IPF only be done by dyno or is it also a mail in tune?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #22
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
No offense....it was true for you or at least appeared to be. Others report no locking, and the original Trifecta site specifically stated that it did not lock the ECU. The purpose of my emails is to get some type of confirmation from Trifecta or badnewsracing or from an independent source.

Also, in both the threads you created about this you mentioned a programming "trick" the IPF used to get around the lock....any specifics on this?

I received a response to my query from badnewsracing....the jist of the email was that the ECU is not locked if flashed back to stock. Frankly, the email was a little ambiguous so I have asked for some clarification. I will post the entire email thread after receiving a more definitive reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
All the research I've done on this is that the ECM and TCM are NOT locked by Trifecta. It is the IPF tune the one that needs a clean GM file to upload their tune onto. I know a lot of the LFX guys have been able to go from Trifecta to HP Tuners with no need to reflash at all. If I'm wrong someone please correct me but that's what I have read after countless hours of research for when I was thinking about an IPF tune.
This is what happened to me, and i am just sharing. And why trifrcta till now didn't reply to my email? Why trifecta when i sent the data logs they said everything ok while everything is not ok. Why with trifecta there is that loss in power at mid range rpm? Why trifecta when i sent them the bad dyno result since December, they till now didnt reply????

I didn't have any of these problems with ipf. They were replying to me and helping me weekdays and weekend. And they gave my car 12rwhp more than trifecta, and i got a very good dyno graph.

Keeping ecu and tcu away. These reasons are more than enough to stay away from trifecta and go ipf, at least for my case and my experience with both.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #23
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
This is what happened to me, and i am just sharing. And why trifrcta till now didn't reply to my email? Why trifecta when i sent the data logs they said everything ok while everything is not ok. Why with trifecta there is that loss in power at mid range rpm? Why trifecta when i sent them the bad dyno result since December, they till now didnt reply????

I didn't have any of these problems with ipf. They were replying to me and helping me weekdays and weekend. And they gave my car 12rwhp more than trifecta, and i got a very good dyno graph.

Keeping ecu and tcu away. These reasons are more than enough to stay away from trifecta and go ipf, at least for my case and my experience with both.
The way you word this, it makes it seem like Trifecta has finally sent you back a reply?

I am not here to defend Trifecta, or knock down IPF, however, I do not have any issues with my Trifecta, I have my dyno sheet and do not see the issues you speak of that you had. IF IPF had been around at the time Trifecta was doing everything for us V6 folks it might be a different story for many of us. But not everyone is going to drop the tune we have to go spend another up to $600 to get a new tune for the 12 hp gain that you were shown.

I am glad you are happy, but please do not continue to bash a company that provided many here a tune that most were/are happy with at this time. Doing so will not do anyone any good.

You made your point, let everyone else read the many posts and make there own conclusion.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb910 View Post
This kind of makes me want to switch over. Can IPF only be done by dyno or is it also a mail in tune?
I wouldn't rush, Hpt will be available later in the year. if you want a really good tune, HpTuners is the way to go.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #25
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I'm just posting what I've read. I FULLY agree IPF is the way better tune at the moment. That may change with the release of HP Tuners. But yes, I had a Trifecta tune and removed it from my car. Car runs a lot better with the stock configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
The way you word this, it makes it seem like Trifecta has finally sent you back a reply?

I am not here to defend Trifecta, or knock down IPF, however, I do not have any issues with my Trifecta, I have my dyno sheet and do not see the issues you speak of that you had. IF IPF had been around at the time Trifecta was doing everything for us V6 folks it might be a different story for many of us. But not everyone is going to drop the tune we have to go spend another up to $600 to get a new tune for the 12 hp gain that you were shown.

I am glad you are happy, but please do not continue to bash a company that provided many here a tune that most were/are happy with at this time. Doing so will not do anyone any good.

You made your point, let everyone else read the many posts and make there own conclusion.
This is all personal opinion but I fully believe that the only reason Trifecta even had any success was the fact that they were the only tune around for a long time. I find it hard to believe anyone would pick trifecta if they could get a proper tune. All personal opinion but it's what I think. I've also already proven to myself with track slips that the tune doesn't gain any power and actually makes you lose ET. Just my experience. No dyno though and I'll probably never get one since Trifecta will never be on my car again.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #26
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
This is all personal opinion but I fully believe that the only reason Trifecta even had any success was the fact that they were the only tune around for a long time. I find it hard to believe anyone would pick trifecta if they could get a proper tune. All personal opinion but it's what I think. I've also already proven to myself with track slips that the tune doesn't gain any power and actually makes you lose ET. Just my experience. No dyno though and I'll probably never get one since Trifecta will never be on my car again.

I agree with this statement. No other competition so why work any harder than necessary to provide anymore than already completed.

Interesting about the tune. I will have to give that a try next time at the track.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #27
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
Quote:

I dont think OP's initial post was to convince people to spend 600 bux or so to switch over to IPF, it is his personal opinion/review baised on his experience. I have seen several posts with Triefcta's side on the lack of communication to get back to users with thier questions/concerns and that is what i think the underlying problem is.

That being said, i dont think its OP's intention to bash Trifecta in anyway, but merely to share his experience on something which he invested on but got poor results in, after many attempts to try to get any type of answers from Trifecta failed. I personally would be upset aswell if i were in shoes.

I would also like to mention i have spoken to Andy@ IPF, and they have been answering my questions and concerns on the daily biases
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #28
peregrine_alpha

Quote:

No trifecta didnt reply yet i will surely update you all once they reply. Because we all have the right to get answers to our questions. Beside, the graph shows a real drop in the power, why trifecta when i sent them the data log they told me that everything is ok? they didnt want to bother themselves and correct the tune and send me a new one. thats really bad bad bad!!

And no i am not telling any one to switch to IPF, if your happy with trifecta keep it. But for new ppl that wanna do a tune, and they dont know what to choose, and came to this forum to search, well here is one bad experience from trifcta, he still can go with it if he wish, he also can go ipf if he was convinced.

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I'm just posting what I've read. I FULLY agree IPF is the way better tune at the moment. That may change with the release of HP Tuners. But yes, I had a Trifecta tune and removed it from my car. Car runs a lot better with the stock configuration.

True that, Trifecta thought by having no competition in the market, they can ignore their customers questions and requests. but not anymore, specially when HP releases their own tune soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoniv View Post
I dont think OP's initial post was to convince people to spend 600 bux or so to switch over to IPF, it is his personal opinion/review baised on his experience. I have seen several posts with Triefcta's side on the lack of communication to get back to users with thier questions/concerns and that is what i think the underlying problem is.

That being said, i dont think its OP's intention to bash Trifecta in anyway, but merely to share his experience on something which he invested on but got poor results in, after many attempts to try to get any type of answers from Trifecta failed. I personally would be upset aswell if i were in shoes.

I would also like to mention i have spoken to Andy@ IPF, and they have been answering my questions and concerns on the daily biases
Thank you for what u said! its completely correct. and i am not offending trifecta in any means, but thats a very bad experience that deserves to be shared. after all thats why the forum exists no?