Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-12-2024, 05:30 PM   #1
Ds98formula

Drives: 2015 M6 ZL1, 2012 silverado
Grom Vlink

Anyone used the Grom Vlink to add apple car play to their MyLink? Looks like it would be a decent compromise for someone not wanting to hassle with a new radio and trying to retain all the feathers while gaining car play. I am torn between trying this out, getting a pac unit with after market head unit, and the digital octopus unit.

Kind of a secondary question but does anyone know the specs on the MyLink radio? If I go the pac unit route I would want to make sure I got a unit that could at least push the same power as the stock system.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/se...n-upgrade.html
Old 02-14-2024, 08:13 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
the VLite is the way id tell most of you to go. simple and effective. the VLine has more features but you wont use most of them honestly. Yes, i have it. it has it quirks but it works quite well. i do not use it via wireless though. I tend to use it over usb.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:35 PM   #3
Ds98formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
the VLite is the way id tell most of you to go. simple and effective. the VLine has more features but you wont use most of them honestly. Yes, i have it. it has it quirks but it works quite well. i do not use it via wireless though. I tend to use it over usb.

Than you for your reply. I am probably going this route. Stock usb in glove box still work with this? I wish i could find a video of its start up and someone actauly using it. not many videos for it
Old 02-15-2024, 09:04 PM   #4
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds98formula View Post
Than you for your reply. I am probably going this route. Stock usb in glove box still work with this? I wish i could find a video of its start up and someone actauly using it. not many videos for it
I bought an adaptor to reuse it. however, my mylink was from Gen5diy. so i dont know if yours will be the same. Im sure you could make it work. its just a micro USB connector on one end.
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
Old 02-15-2024, 09:05 PM   #5
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds98formula View Post
ill take a video tomorrow. I leave the radio on, usb kicks in and it launches their UI overtop. its pretty good. sometimes ill need to disconnect from USB to the radio because SWC stop but its rare.
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
Old 02-18-2024, 05:16 PM   #6
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Quote:
Agree those are my views also, i find it quirky going from the Vline display back to MyLink for local AM/FM radio that don't show up on the Vline display.

When i mentioned that to Gromm that said they were working on an update that they would email to me, but i never got it, so i find my self switching back n forth between displays, i was wanting a one screen display that controlled all features.

And if IIRC (haven't driven the car all winter) i don't think the radio works if i switch over to the Nav display but i'm not sure, i will check it this week

Suppose to warm up and be dry, as long as there is no salt residue on the road ill go for a spin and refamiliarize with it.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #7
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Agree those are my views also, i find it quirky going from the Vline display back to MyLink for local AM/FM radio that don't show up on the Vline display.

When i mentioned that to Gromm that said they were working on an update that they would email to me, but i never got it, so i find my self switching back n forth between displays, i was wanting a one screen display that controlled all features.

And if IIRC (haven't driven the car all winter) i don't think the radio works if i switch over to the Nav display but i'm not sure, i will check it this week

Suppose to warm up and be dry, as long as there is no salt residue on the road ill go for a spin and refamiliarize with it.
Update for what exactly? Im waiting for the new update to Android 12 but i think the HW will be a limitation.

What id like to see is a combo button to swap the display UI. that way i can go back into their UI without changing source a bunch of times.

OEM nav will work if you exit the grom by going to oem interface, but you lose the AA or AC interface. i dont use my oem nav at all so no issue for me.
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB

Last edited by Leo72793; 02-19-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Quote:
Update for what exactly? Im waiting for the new update to Android 12 but i think the HW will be a limitation.

What id like to see is a combo button to swap the display UI. that way i can go back into their UI without changing source a bunch of times.

OEM nav will work if you exit the grom by going to oem interface, but you lose the AA or AC interface. i dont use my oem nav at all so no issue for me.
I got this about a year ago, then i saw how it worked needing to go back into MyLink for features i called up the tech line and asked about it i was under the impression it was 'all in one' type of screen display that the MyLink would disappear and VLine would take over all features old & new they said it doesn't do that but they would look into a update or upgrade with their tech people.
I think they were BS ing me at the time and it appears that's the case, because i had actually called for a RMA to send it back and that's when he mentioned about a future update. IIRC he said it works like that on some car brand models.
It was a year ago conversation so my recollection it's not exact.
Also i have a 1lt so i don't have factory nav like yours i have to be in the Vline for that which is fine and i use the small nav antenna i mounted in the corner pillar on the dash that was included.
Overall i find it cumbersome with the multiple screens and hard buttons for MyLink and touchscreen for Vline.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet

Old 02-21-2024, 05:24 PM   #9
Ds98formula

Quote:
I bought an adaptor to reuse it. however, my mylink was from Gen5diy. so i dont know if yours will be the same. Im sure you could make it work. its just a micro USB connector on one end.
I have seen that connector for other radios to get that to work. I will try that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post

thanks for the reply i will use apple car play 100percent of the time as i dont use the fm/am now anyway.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:00 PM   #10
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

I'm not able to get any radio functions to work while using Vlines AA nav, the map screen is on only, if i press the Source (hard button) i lose the nav screen and MYLink then reappears.
What's your experience?
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet