Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #57
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
I love the 2015 Challengers. If I would have been able to see one before I bought my current car I'd probably be in one of those. So answer is yes, I would and in a heartbeat. Love my Camaro, it gets looks, but it's just something about those new Challengers that gets me worked up.
shine2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #58
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
paid for vs making payments.
If making payments -no.
if paid for yes ill trade then sell the hell cat asap

in the end
I rather keep the ss I have and put in a bigger motor
or rebuild the motor in THE SS with better parts, turbo or super charge, suspension, there is a lot of mods from money saved

yes there is more then one way to skin a CAT..

OR JUST GET A ZL1 OR Z28- and add some tricks
Harvey Dent- Dark Night Feeling
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #59
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
We will have to agree to disagree about tracking the big bad Dodges. Did you know in the R&T Motown Mile the Hellcat beat a 1LE, a Porsche Caymen, an Aston Martin Rapide, a BMW M4, and ...

To be fair the ZL1 did beat it by 1/2 a second per lap.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389222

My wife tells me my thoughts are pointless all the time. Do you two know each other?
I do not know your wife, but I assume she knows mine, since I hear that as well! There are going to be courses that it can beat all those cars on, and that is because it has much, much more power, and the superior handling can not overcome the brutal straight line speed. That being said, at a point far below 700 HP, those cars would run circles around the "big bad Dodges" (consider your ZL1 example). We can agree to disagree, but most importantly, we have to find a way to keep our wives from conspiring against us.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #60
ajax.

Drives: 12SS,12SRT8,14COPO,77Vette
Take it from me and learn a very valuable life lesson. Never buy a freakin Chrysler. My car has been nothing but problems that Chrysler refuses to fix!

They can take their hellcat and shove it right up their azz, way overpriced for standard junk. Going to trade mine in and try and scoop up an 06 gto and mod the living day lights out of it.

All hype, Modern chryslers are basically a big FU under the hood. They don't want people modding their cars, and even then trying to mod would prove a waste of$ for a nominal gain. My experience at GM has been second to none compared to Chrysler corp.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #61
hunt5588

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Meh, if it was straight across maybe =)
hunt5588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #62
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
I'm not a big challenger fan. I have a 2014 1LT/RS and I wouldn't trade it for a Hellcat. Even if it were straight across. Obviously that wouldn't ever be an option but I hate Chrysler Corp. with a passion. Never cared for anything from them.

2014 1LT/RS: K&N Cold Air Intake, MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust, LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #63
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i personally would take a ZL1 over the Hellcat. i, like ajax above am a GM person. it may be a fast car and 707 HP, but i think 580 on the ZL1 and a CAI and a few mods to get it up near 700 would be my first choice. i am just not a CHrysler guy i guess.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #64
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Sure on paper the Hellcat looks good, 707 h.p.....and a lot of it getting to the wheels. The you start reading the paper beyond the hype....
I researched well before getting a SS and yes it beat the mustang and challengers for value and reliability in the drive train by a lot. I Know there is hype about being a " hemi" but hey hemispherical shaped heads have been around in many incarnations by all the major manufacturers..... remember the Chevy LUV? they had hemi heads....lol yes and little cams on the top of the heads to actuate the valves.....

I belong to true delta, I know I track my cars repairs...and that would be zero for two Camaro ss, it also shows no reliability figures for the challenger but it does for the charger and it sucks worse than the mustang when compared to the Camaro. And daily driving I am happy with about a 550 h.p. rating on my modded Camaro and taking long road trips and getting about 22-24 MPG something I could never do with the 1.5 gallon per minute rating of a Hellcat at a drag....lol

I also know from being a old hot rodder its easy to make major power, yet harder to get it to the ground and a lot more expensive keeping it alive and that will be the case for the hellcat, gimicky is good for sales and yes they may bring customers in , yet when they want a premium for them...... they will sell them the suddenly cheaper regular srt's they used to sell for too much...

And reports of the rear ends being grenaded in the Hellcat have all ready come out, it will take a while before the long term problems us old rodders know about marrying a cast iron block to aluminum heads...and how they expand and contract at two different rates and walk the head bolts out over time meaning they should be retorqued every thirty K at least and the same goes for intakes etc when marrying aluminum to cast iron.

SO when they start blowing head gaskets, and then really hurting the engine down the road when unsuspecting people using most likely some lame non race oil with low zddp tear them apart and discover just how much it is to repair them.... wow are they gonna be pissed. The same high repair and modification cost can be related to say a car with dual over head cam shafts and say a timing belt that can break etc etc ..... SO I am happy where I am and being non supercharged and being able to enjoy enough power to make a run interesting against anyone and embarrass most badly, and still have gas mileage and lower cost to build and maintain.

Because if you have a car with power and you want to drive it all the time depreciation will hurt, maintenance over time will hurt and things get steep when your going forced induction and have problems. And yes the Camaros out handle the hellcat, and from experience dodge has screwed over those I know who trusted in them. Like say a little old lady buying a new neon then discovering the heads crack with in a year and the having to pay money for dodge to fly someone in from out of state to weld them because no one around here would do it, then charging the nice old lady over $1500..... the old lady, My mom..they got her coming and going twice, and then theres the friends who had the wonderFINGful transmissions in their new Dakotas or minivans go crap out over and over.

SO not a fan here, like the looks, would own one, and always wonder when its gonna go up in value for being rare way after I am dead, and also wonder when its gonna grenade if I do not drive it rarely. And always wonder what company next Chrysler will sell their name/rep/etc... too when Fiat gets tired of them like Mercedes did..... They just are not even close to the company they where when I was young.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #65
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
I wouldn't trade mine in. So I just kept my Camaro and bought the Hellcat. I love both cars. It seems like there are a lot of Chevy Homers here. I personally like cars. If a manufacture builds a nice car they should be given the credit.

As far as everybody thinking they don't handle well, I would have to disagree. Granted I just got my Hellcat, I think it handles better than my Camaro. It is awesome that you can change the suspension and power on the fly. The ride is extremely comfortable and spacious as well.

I have owned 3 other SRT's and never had a problem with any of them.

Red one is mine and my Camaro. Group pics coming in the spring.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 AM   #66
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Yup did that with my 74 Chev pickup until some stones went down through the breather cuz it wasn't tight LMAO... Got em out though by removing the valve covers as I recall haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Did to both my '72 Monte Carlo and '68 Camaro...

Ahhh... memories! Upside down air cleaner lid, glass packs, air shocks and Cragers - and you were ready to cruise!! Hot roddin' on the cheap. Those were the days

The Hellcat is a nice car, but I just don't have a desire to own one. Maybe if I drove one I'd feel differently? I do think the '69 Charger is one of the best looking muscle cars ever made. I wish Dodge had tried a little harder to make the Hellcat look like the General Lee.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #67
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
**** the hellcat! 707HP, barely out performs the ZL1. And it doesn't look nearly as good!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do realize that the Hellcat just smoked the new 650 hp Z06 in a highway roll race 3-4 times in a row right? Car and Driver also just ran 11:40s @ 128-mph with one.

Back to the original question. The untapped potential of this car will be incredible, if you are like 95% of the drivers on the road who don't care about how fast your car can corner, or care to track your car this really isn't a hard decision.

The ZL1 is a fantastic balanced car but to reach Hellcat performance levels you will have to spend big $$$ on mods, blow your warranty, and decrease your car's value should you decide to sell or trade. With the Hellcat simply bolt on a set of DRs and you are ready to play with the big boys.

No bad decisions here but get your priorities for performance in line before making your decision. Street performance / 1/4 mile, or track use. Understand the downsides of modifications, look at the for sale forum here most owners are taking huge losses trying to sell modified vehicles.

Also might be a good idea to wait and see what Chevy does with the next generation ZL1, the CTSV has already been announced to have 650-hp, I would guess the ZL1 will as well.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #68
96MrBass

Drives: GM
What do you consider $BIG$ money I mean ZL1'S with small mods are right there putting down the numbers that dodge claimed for the hellcat and I know now mod the hellcat but that's not what you said.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #69
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla904 View Post
would you trade your camaro for a brand new challenger hellcat? I personally hate the way challengers look, but do love the interior! I think I would trade my ss for one..707 HP!!!! Also anyone else dislike where the new car designs are going? not just camaro but tahoes, surburbans, 4runners, etc? They're all starting to look like grocerie getters and soccer mom vans. They need to bring the ruggedness back!
If I could trade straight up? ABSOLUTELY.

Take my SS, give me a Hellcat, I'd sell the Hellcat, buy a slightly used ZL1 and bank the profits.

Win

Of course, I'd have to see what the Hellcat could do first...who knows, maybe I'd fall in love?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #70
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
What do you consider $BIG$ money I mean ZL1'S with small mods are right there putting down the numbers that dodge claimed for the hellcat and I know now mod the hellcat but that's not what you said.
ZL1- Automatic would need a Heat Exchanger, Pulley Setup, Headers/Exhaust, Cam( you may be able to do without the cam but you will have to spin the blower very hard), Dyno Tune, CAI, and Injectors to do it safely. I don't have an exact number but I guess it's about $7,500.00, this should net you close to 650-rwhp or about the same as a completely stock Hellcat.

Both should be 10-sec rides on DRs but again you would be talking about a highly modified ZL1 vs a stock Hellcat. The hellcat maintains it's full warranty and value, the ZL1 looses both.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote