Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Like I said, you're free to, and you're doing no damage by washing again. I don't blame you wanting to be extra careful.

Your post just came off condescending, when you told him to watch a video to "understand the reasoning behind it," even though he was right, and there is no reasoning behind it.

Exactly, I'm free, you're free, OP is free - that is why in my original post to the OP I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmink View Post
Ultimately it's your decision, so go with whatever you can live with.

Sometimes things come across the wrong way on the Internet. I am no expert and I was not trying to be condescending. That is why I put a smiley face at the end of my response; so that it would not be taken the wrong way.
Quote:
Maybe you should check out some of Junkman's videos...then you may understand the reasoning behind it.

There is reasoning behind it to some; to you there is no reasoning behind it. I would not do it if I didn't have a reason. You don't do it because you believe there is no reason.

Just giving my opinion the same as you give your opinion. No need for you to revert to name calling because at times you come across as pompous; particularly when someone has a different opinion then you.

OP, almost sorry I replied to your question. Whatever you decide, hope your Camaro comes out looking amazing. Congrats on your purchase and post pics after you receive it.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
As I originally posted, this is MY initial detailing process. Meaning, this is the process that I will follow when I detail MY car for the first time.

It's not something that I would do every time, but for MY first time this is what I am going to do.

I was just letting the OP what I planned on doing when I got my car. Since I posted my opinion, the OP now has several options/opinions to choose from because it seems to have sparked some debate.
Right it's your initial detailing process and it's yours lol. No one argued that. I was just saying that what you are doing is unnecessary. And I understand that you are following Junkman's advice to the letter, and nothing wrong with that, but once you detail for a while, and clay for a while, you will understand how unnecessary it is.

Either way, it is your decision, and all that matters is that you are happy

And I just read that you weren't trying to be condescending to me, but you still have to read what you wrote. Smiley faces don't fix being a jerk.

Answering a question that I'm asking you with "maybe you should watch some videos" generally comes off condescending... but you said you didn't mean it so no harm, no foul. Good luck with your detailing session and let us know how it goes

OP, good luck with your detailing too! Your first lesson should be learned here: every detailer has their own methods and you need to find yours that make you and your car happy

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Exactly, I'm free, you're free, OP is free - that is why in my original post to the OP I said:

Sometimes things come across the wrong way on the Internet. I am no expert and I was not trying to be condescending. That is why I put a smiley face at the end of my response; so that it would not be taken the wrong way.

There is reasoning behind it to some; to you there is no reasoning behind it. I would not do it if I didn't have a reason. You don't do it because you believe there is no reason.

Just giving my opinion the same as you give your opinion. No need for you to revert to name calling because at times you come across as pompous; particularly when someone has a different opinion then you.

OP, almost sorry I replied to your question. Whatever you decide, hope your Camaro comes out looking amazing. Congrats on your purchase and post pics after you receive it.

I wasn't name-calling, I was just saying your post came across condescending, and I'm clearly not the only one who thought so..

I don't think I've ever come across pompous when there is opinion involved, only when fact is involved. Even then, I don't think informed=pompous, but you're entitled to your opinion.

If you have an opinion, then back it up with something. Don't just say "there's reasoning." Then we can have a debate and we can both learn something out of the discussion. If not, then we might as well be arguing over which color is better: red or blue.

I make a living doing this stuff; if there's information I can pass on to make it easier on new folks, or to improve their end results, I will. In the end, everyone should do whatever they please to their car. I haven't made a single payment on your car, so what do I care?

I hope that both you and the OP get fantastic results on your first details, and wish you both good luck as you start getting into detailing. It's addictive
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Mysteek
Lounge Gangsta!!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the dealer wash your car!! It will swirl and scratch the sh!t outta your car!! JUST SAY NO!!
Mysteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
It's addictive
Truer words have never been spoken (ok yeah that's an exaggeration), but if you seriously get into detailing, it's just like modding. Your wallet is going to thin out... a lot! But it's addictive and you will like it

Quote:
I make a living doing this stuff
Post some threads of your jobs! I love seeing the before and afters on the detailing forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteek View Post
NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the dealer wash your car!! It will swirl and scratch the sh!t outta your car!! JUST SAY NO!!
I thought the exact same thing, but lo and behold my mom went in for a wash on her new Honda CRV and guess what, very very minimal scratching (there was zero before) and they actually did a good job. The tires were dressed, the inside looked clean, the outside looked good. Whoever works at their dealership at least knows more than the average frog about how to clean a car lmao!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Truer words have never been spoken (ok yeah that's an exaggeration), but if you seriously get into detailing, it's just like modding. Your wallet is going to thin out... a lot! But it's addictive and you will like it

Post some threads of your jobs! I love seeing the before and afters on the detailing forums

I thought the exact same thing, but lo and behold my mom went in for a wash on her new Honda CRV and guess what, very very minimal scratching (there was zero before) and they actually did a good job. The tires were dressed, the inside looked clean, the outside looked good. Whoever works at their dealership at least knows more than the average frog about how to clean a car lmao!
I have posted a few on here. I don't get the super nice cars like the "big boys" (Todd and Phil) do. But I get by. I'm normally so strapped for time that I don't take many pics.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo
That depends on your mindset and attention to detail. I will ALWAYS do a second two bucket wash after claying for 2 or more reasons. One, I want to make sure that I remove any clay residue as well as clay off the finish. The absolute last thing I want to happen is to have clay get caught in one of my pads and ruin it. Two, I want to see exactly what the finish looks like BEFORE I start working on it. Looking at a bunch of dried up detail spray can somewhat hide some of the paint damage. A artist starts with a clean canvas, not one with paint all over it. This is the canvas I want to see before a drop of polish leaves any of my bottles. Last of all, claying a car that has some serious contamination is going to take awhile, possibly days. By the time I'm done claying a '69 Lincoln, that car is going to be dusty. Buffing on a dusty or dirty car is not only wrong, it's stupid. Thus, that car is going to get another 2-bucket wash.

So there's THREE reasons to do a 2-bucket wash after claying.

Quote:
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever.
The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. If I am going to touch the paint in a manner to clean it after claying, I'm going to do it the safest way possible. Washing the car is a LOT safer than breaking out a towel, some quick detailer and wiping on the paint. The safest way trumps anything suggested here and properly washing a car is the safest way to remove dirt, period.

I can prove that all day long, video after video.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That depends on your mindset and attention to detail. I will ALWAYS do a second two bucket wash after claying for 2 or more reasons. One, I want to make sure that I remove any clay residue as well as clay off the finish. The absolute last thing I want to happen is to have clay get caught in one of my pads and ruin it. Two, I want to see exactly what the finish looks like BEFORE I start working on it. Looking at a bunch of dried up detail spray can somewhat hide some of the paint damage. A artist starts with a clean canvas, not one with paint all over it. This is the canvas I want to see before a drop of polish leaves any of my bottles. Last of all, claying a car that has some serious contamination is going to take awhile, possibly days. By the time I'm done claying a '69 Lincoln, that car is going to be dusty. Buffing on a dusty or dirty car is not only wrong, it's stupid. Thus, that car is going to get another 2-bucket wash.

So there's THREE reasons to do a 2-bucket wash after claying.

The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. If I am going to touch the paint in a manner to clean it after claying, I'm going to do it the safest way possible. Washing the car is a LOT safer than breaking out a towel, some quick detailer and wiping on the paint. The safest way trumps anything suggested here and properly washing a car is the safest way to remove dirt, period.

I can prove that all day long, video after video.

Nice. I'd like to see that myself. In which video do you compare the two methods and show a noticeable difference? Can you throw up a link?

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Nice. I'd like to see that myself. In which video do you compare the two methods and show a noticeable difference? Can you throw up a link?

I didn't make a video comparing the two, but you can look at the videos that I do have up that show me claying and clearly see the amount of detail spray that would end up drying on the car. You also cannot deny the fact that clay residue can be left behind. You stated that in your own post. So sarcasm aside, I have and have stated my reasoning behind what I do. I always do. You are welcome to yours.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I didn't make a video comparing the two, but you can look at the videos that I do have up that show me claying and clearly see the amount of detail spray that would end up drying on the car. You also cannot deny the fact that clay residue can be left behind. You stated that in your own post. So sarcasm aside, I have and have stated my reasoning behind what I do. I always do. You are welcome to yours.
And I definitely have no problem with that, BECAUSE you always have a reason. I might not always agree, but at least we both have valid reasons. I just don't like when people say "Well, I do X, just because"

Most people wipe off the residue as they go. Or at least I would hope so...

Anyway, just another benefit of not using clay. It's the way of the past.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Dont let them wash it! When I got my car I didn't let the dealer wash it, and I never let anyone wash it but myself, then about a month ago I got rear ended, and when I was picking my car up from the dealer after it was repaired, they washed it without my permission, and there where swirl marks like crazy Just wash it yourself, it isn't worth the risk
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Dont let them wash it! When I got my car I didn't let the dealer wash it, and I never let anyone wash it but myself, then about a month ago I got rear ended, and when I was picking my car up from the dealer after it was repaired, they washed it without my permission, and there where swirl marks like crazy Just wash it yourself, it isn't worth the risk

Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
I was not going to respond to you, but...

Quote:
If you have an opinion, then back it up with something. Don't just say "there's reasoning." Then we can have a debate and we can both learn something out of the discussion. If not, then we might as well be arguing over which color is better: red or blue.
And there it is, arguing, something IMO you enjoy doing.

When I specifically asked for your opinion in a thread I started, you never posted. Yet, here in this thread, you find the need to argue about a post directed at the OP and one that was taken out of context (or just mis-worded by me).

It was what I am going to do, which is what the question was about. I didn't imply to the OP that it was the correct or only way; just my way.

I don't feel I have to justify myself to you about a reply I was giving to someone else or for anything else for that matter. Had the OP asked me I would have pointed him in Junkman's direction.

Quote:
And I definitely have no problem with that, BECAUSE you always have a reason. I might not always agree, but at least we both have valid reasons. I just don't like when people say "Well, I do X, just because"
Since you insist on knowing my reasons:
1. Junkman recommended it and I value his opinion; especially now over yours.

2. I practiced on another vehicle and that vehicle had a lot of contamination. The detail spray turned brown/black from all the contamination. The only thing I would do to remove it would be another 2-bucket wash; not going to rub that into my paint using a waterless wash or anything else. Since my car traveled by rail, I feel there will be a lot of contamination including rail dust.

3. I prefer to use precaution. What's another 2-bucket wash going to cost me? A little time? A little product? A little more practice on my technique?

4. The main reason I will do it - is because I think it's the best option for me.

A few people in this thread, including Junkman, said that they would not let the dealer touch the car. Well, for me, when I took delivery, I wanted the car clean so that I could see if there were imperfections/blemishes in the paint. The dust/dirt on a newly delivered car can cover up these. I would much rather deal with swirls than I would with a dealer after I took the car home and found something wrong with the paint. Much harder to prove in my opinion. I took what I thought was the lesser of two evils for me. Now with that being said, the dealer will not ever wash/detail my car again.

Quote:
I make a living doing this stuff; if there's information I can pass on to make it easier on new folks, or to improve their end results, I will.
Plenty of people make a living doing stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean they are an expert at it or that their information is the best. Not saying that this applies to you because I don't know you nor have I seen your work. Just saying.

I'm done (at least in this thread). I'm sure you're not; seems you crave the last word.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
i wouldn't let them wash it
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote