Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Ohio Snake

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, 2012 Shelby GT500
Insurance rates are based on various factors including cost to repair certain parts (labor), the parts itself, performance or engine type, drivetrain type and ability to protect in impact crashes to name a few. It is possible that the Camaro, being a heavier car, can protect occupants better than a fiesta which can lower rates from a liability standpoint. Age of the drivers will definitely have an impact.
Be sure the coverage is identical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ohio Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That is the biggest crock of sh$t I ever heard. I would change insurance agents if hey fed me that BS.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
Insurance rates are based on various factors including cost to repair certain parts (labor), the parts itself, performance or engine type, drivetrain type and ability to protect in impact crashes to name a few. It is possible that the Camaro, being a heavier car, can protect occupants better than a fiesta which can lower rates from a liability standpoint. Age of the drivers will definitely have an impact.
Be sure the coverage is identical.

but we did keep everything the same. Just a little bizarre I guess considering my age and that everything would be more expensive fixing a camaro instead of a fiesta..
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
Ohio Snake

That's no crock. You should call an underwriter for a major carrier and question them on how the rates are determined for you. Also your credit in taken into consideration, but you probably think that's a crock too.
BTW: I am a licensed P&C agent. Call your agent to ask the questions. Then you can comment.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Ohio Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCracker View Post
but we did keep everything the same. Just a little bizarre I guess considering my age and that everything would be more expensive fixing a camaro instead of a fiesta..
It is possible to be lower priced with the Camaro over the Fiesta. Many factors are involved and the stats aligned for on those factors.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
FireCracker
Banned

Quote:
It is possible to be lower priced with the Camaro over the Fiesta. Many factors are involved and the stats aligned for on those factors.

Oh I know it's possible, just didn't think it would happen lol. Something else that was weird, we pretty much pay the same for insurance.. Adam (no offense babe!) has had an accident, and tickets. I've never had an accident and the only ticket I had is already off my driving record. So for him being a guy, with a sports car, not having a clean driving record, and being young.. Just something doesn't seem right lol. I mean I'm sure we'll call again when I'm certain about the camaro I want. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCracker View Post
Oh I know it's possible, just didn't think it would happen lol. Something else that was weird, we pretty much pay the same for insurance.. Adam (no offense babe!) has had an accident, and tickets. I've never had an accident and the only ticket I had is already off my driving record. So for him being a guy, with a sports car, not having a clean driving record, and being young.. Just something doesn't seem right lol. I mean I'm sure we'll call again when I'm certain about the camaro I want. I guess we'll see.
I'm older and I have no tickets baby girl lol. Just that accident 3 years ago.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
FireCracker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Hmm could've sworn you had a ticket on your record still.. 22 isn't that old and your a young guy, usually insurance is more considering you're way more likely to street race the mustang revving next to you then I am still, I have a clean driving record, you do not
Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
4 years ago for me, still holding on and destroying my insurance :(
Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
FireCracker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
4 years ago for me, still holding on and destroying my insurance :(
That sucks
Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
Ohio Snake

Some carriers will offer "pleasure driving" rates if you drive less than 7500 miles per year. Those rates can save you a significant amount. The person this fits is one with another daily driver or just drives a little mileage per year. Also you can look at bundling your homeowners/ renters insurance with your auto to save.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
That's no crock. You should call an underwriter for a major carrier and question them on how the rates are determined for you. Also your credit in taken into consideration, but you probably think that's a crock too.
BTW: I am a licensed P&C agent. Call your agent to ask the questions. Then you can comment.

I've never seen an insurance company pay a claim for a regular repair. So what would reliability have to do with anything? I could see a car with a better crash rating or less expensive replacement parts getting a better rate but not because it isn't reliable.

If that's the case maybe I should turn in a claim every time I have to take one of my cars in for a repair. I've bought enough vehicles over the years for my business and personal use that I know all about how insurance companies come up with new way to rape a person including credit score.

Oh and another thing, Since you're a licensed insurance expert, explain to me why my insurance always goes up on my cars that are getting older and have less value? I always find that to be funny. I guess you'll tell me that your other factors that go into pricing weigh more than what the cost of the car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #27
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Unless you are dealing with the agent/company you currently have a policy with...chances are you received a bogus quote. It is a common tactic for auto insurance companies to give you a very low quote and once they receive payment to start the policy they will come back with an adjusted higher amount for coverage. Plus it's very important to make sure that you're comparing similar policies that offer the same coverage. Often that great quote they give you is for a policy with only half the coverage you had before and possibly not even enough to meet your state's minimum requirement.

I've had USAA insurance for a very long time...but I got screwed by auto insurance carriers every way possible when I was much younger and less wiser. Recently (because I was seeking some insurance for my niece) I was offered an unbelievably low rate by Allstate. I was very suspicious so I inquired about it since I know USAA offers some of the best rates available. After I questioned the agent I determined that the rate was based on a policy that had only 1/5 of the monetary coverage I currently have and the policy did not meet the Texas state minimums.

They knew good and well what the state requirements are in Texas...but here's the scam: Once you put money down on a policy...it will never be fully refunded (like they tell you it can be)...even if you cancel it before the coverage begins. They will keep a sizable portion for underwriting and fees so that you're stuck with them for the next year unless your willing to blow off the money already paid. But they are more than willing to apply the money you already paid to that newer policy with the higher price. When this happened to me...I would inquire why the higher rate and was given lame excuses like "Oh, we missed that ticket on your record" or "That policy didn't meet your state's minimum coverage requirement". Sadly...some lessons have to be learned the hard way.

I can't stress this enough...when it comes to auto insurance...especially when you're dealing with a company for a new policy and you've never been insured by them before...IT'S ALWAYS A BUYER BEWARE SITUATION. And never make the mistake of assuming that the big named "trusted" companies (e.g., Allstate, State Farm, Geico, etc) are beyond such business practices.

Last edited by Envy; 06-10-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
It's actually not too surprising. A Camaro is an actual car. The Fiesta is not. If a Fiesta hits almost anything else, it is going to lose the collision. You should have compared a Sonic to the Camaro to see if there was the same difference.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
( . y . )