Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #15
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Not sure, I don't have a gauge to tell me. I would imagine it would get pretty high especially coming into the summer months where our temps in Austin could reach 110F on some days. The normal temp in summer is around 95-100, so I could surely see this running hot but I don't think I should be concerned as the fans will be blasting away, (blasting hot air on the hot engine)
Ok thx I thought maybe you had a DIC for the trans on the 1SS but wasn't sure. I find the gauges just give me more to worry about
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Paolo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Agree with the two_wheel_mayhem advice. 250 degrees is around the boiling point of 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water at 14 PSI; you are getting in the danger zone of fluid loss. When it runs hot do you see the electric fans spinning fast on the radiator? Did you let the car completely cool off and then slowly remove the radiator cap to see if the coolant is at the top of the radiator neck? After that the next suspect on the list could be the thermostat.
Ron
Yeah i heard the fan kicking on around 230 degrees,i will look for any leak,should i check the radiator cap on cold too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Before you swap the coolant you need to figure out what's causing it to overheat, because 7 year old coolant will not be the cause.

It's low on coolant from a leak or something has malfunctioned such as the electric fan. Something is wrong if it hits 240 degrees, unless you are idling in the desert with the AC on high I suppose.
lol yeah traffic here in italy suck sometimes you can get stuck at a red light for like 5 mins.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Mine was up to 215 the other day at a red light and 90 degrees outside.
Mine has got to 220 while idling on a hot day but the fans always kick on

Actually when romping on it the coolant stays around 198-200
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #18
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Watch out with Dexcool that stuff SUCKS! I've replaced intake manifold gaskets on every vehicle that came from the factory with Dexcool except my Camaro and Impala because they are too young still. If you switch make sure you get all of the Dexcool out though because that will gum up the cooling system.
May be coolant related,but youll never have to do intake gaskets on your Camaro. Depending on what year/engine your impala is you won't be doing them either. GM has been doing dry intakes for quite some time now.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Yeah i heard the fan kicking on around 230 degrees,i will look for any leak,should i check the radiator cap on cold too?
Yes, check the radiator directly only when the engine is cold. When you take the radiator cap off the fluid level should be all the way to the top in the radiator neck..
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Hi everyone,so the last day i was cruising in traffic and while idling at a red light my coolant temp went to 242 degrees,and engine temp sensor got a litte over the center mark,should i be worried?

Hi Paolo,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing a coolant concern in your Camaro. I see you have been receiving advice from other users, but if you would like additional support, please feel free to reach out to our Camaro team in Europe. They can be reached by email at camaro.europe@gm.com. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
May be coolant related,but youll never have to do intake gaskets on your Camaro. Depending on what year/engine your impala is you won't be doing them either. GM has been doing dry intakes for quite some time now.
The most recent on I've had to do it on was a 2002. I've replaced intake manifold gaskets on a 1998 3.1L V6, 2000 4.3L V6, 2001 3.8L V6, and 2002 3.4L V6. The Dexcool as it got older would eat the gasket on the intake manifolds. It was a common issue. This may be why GM has gone to dry intakes, because their "wonder coolant" was eating engine components up.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #22
Paolo

So i looked at the radiator cap an it seems almost empty,the reservoir seems empty too,can i add some water in the meantime i'm waiting for the coolant??
Old 05-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #23
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Distilled water only in a pinch if you have it. I'd be looking for the leak. Look around the oil cooler by the oil filter and see if you find any signs of a leak. Something must be leaking if your that low...

Good luck!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #24
Paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Distilled water only in a pinch if you have it. I'd be looking for the leak. Look around the oil cooler by the oil filter and see if you find any signs of a leak. Something must be leaking if your that low...

Good luck!

-Don
Thanks for the reply,can i just add it or there is a way
to add it?i have rechecked now on hot engine and the coolant reservoir its dry
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #25
Paolo

here is a pic of the radiator
is it low?the strange thing is that the reservoir is completely dry while the radiator still have some coolant,could it be that the reservoir itself is leaking?
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #26
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
dude you have a leak somewhere.. check under the radtior... i thought i had a leak because i smelled cooloent after i drove the car.. but it was coolent sitting at the bottom of the radtior when they chained out the coolent.. look down throw the fans at the bottom where the radtior sits next to the cross member...
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #27
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Looking at your pic, that liquid looks pretty clear for coolant in the radiator. Of course, pics on the internet are no way to diagnose issues. However, if it looks as clear as the pic I'm seeing, it seems that there is not nearly enough Dex-Cool in the mixture. It may be low because you losing the water off to steam.

At this point, if this is the case, I would drain and refill with the proper concentration of coolant/water. Dex-Cool is orange, and liquid in the filler neck should be as well.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #28
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Looking at your pic, that liquid looks pretty clear for coolant in the radiator. Of course, pics on the internet are no way to diagnose issues. However, if it looks as clear as the pic I'm seeing, it seems that there is not nearly enough Dex-Cool in the mixture. It may be low because you losing the water off to steam.

At this point, if this is the case, I would drain and refill with the proper concentration of coolant/water. Dex-Cool is orange, and liquid in the filler neck should be as well.
so you are saying if there is more water then coolant the water will steam off changing the color and make it low.. in the radtior
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote