Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
I'm a total fan, great job.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
While I had the door apart, I decided I woud do a little pimpage. I decided I wanted LED Speaker Glow Rings. I drew up some rings in Corel Draw for maximum material utilization, which meant the rings had to be drawn into 1/3 ring.

Next I laser cut the ring parts out of .011" cast acrylic. The laser cut this material in under 5 minutes.

Here are the parts to do the job. 5mm Aqua Green LED's, 470 ohm resistors, the acrylic parts, and I used 18awg zip chord:

I glued the bottom layer together, then glued the top layer on, rotated 60 degrees to overlap the splices, while aligning the LED holes. Next I sanded the rings to frost them and diffuse the light:

I pressed the LED's onto the slots, and soldered a 470 ohm resistor to each LED's positive lead. Wired in parallel, then tested OK with a 9v battery:

I glued the LED ring inside the door panel speaker grill area with contact cement. It was a snug fit, and contact cement is kind of rubbery so it should not vibrate out. I spliced into the Ambient Lighting connector, soldered, taped, and ty-wrapped. Tested operational:

After putting everything back together, I tested the glow, and it is slightly visible in daylight. Will check it out tonight and see how I like it. If too bright, I will add another 470 ohm resistor in series with 1 leg of the power wire. Right now I calculate that at 15 volts and 470 ohms, I am driving them at 31 milliamps. At 12 volts that goes down to 25 mA and adding another resistor will bring them down to 12-15mA each.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #31
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
While I had the door apart, I decided I woud do a little pimpage. I decided I wanted LED Speaker Glow Rings. I drew up some rings in Corel Draw for maximum material utilization, which meant the rings had to be drawn into 1/3 ring.

Next I laser cut the ring parts out of .011" cast acrylic. The laser cut this material in under 5 minutes.

Here are the parts to do the job. 5mm Aqua Green LED's, 470 ohm resistors, the acrylic parts, and I used 18awg zip chord:

I glued the bottom layer together, then glued the top layer on, rotated 60 degrees to overlap the splices, while aligning the LED holes. Next I sanded the rings to frost them and diffuse the light:

I pressed the LED's onto the slots, and soldered a 470 ohm resistor to each LED's positive lead. Wired in parallel, then tested OK with a 9v battery:

I glued the LED ring inside the door panel speaker grill area with contact cement. It was a snug fit, and contact cement is kind of rubbery so it should not vibrate out. I spliced into the Ambient Lighting connector, soldered, taped, and ty-wrapped. Tested operational:

After putting everything back together, I tested the glow, and it is slightly visible in daylight. Will check it out tonight and see how I like it. If too bright, I will add another 470 ohm resistor in series with 1 leg of the power wire. Right now I calculate that at 15 volts and 470 ohms, I am driving them at 31 milliamps. At 12 volts that goes down to 25 mA and adding another resistor will bring them down to 12-15mA each.
You should be doing this stuff for a living my friend. Rest job once again, would be cool if you could make the lights pulse to the bass if you listened to music with a lot of bass.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
steven2680

Drives: ss beast
Rray how much would you sell this kit if some would ask you to build one for them
steven2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
rray

I did a little more work on the carpc this weekend. Over the past month I was working on the random BCM glitches that came up, but they all worked themselves out after a few repeated flashes of the Metra heater and onstar modules.

So the number one issue was the USB port is not so accessable, and it was time to place a USB port on the console.

I laser cut an Acrylic cup holder glow ring for the console:

Between the cups I added a USB port and a Touchscreen Stylus, and up front I added a place to keep my sun glasses:

I used the same Aqua Green LED's that I used for the speaker glow ring:

I made a cold boot to music playing video, which shows about 30 seconds from Ignition Switch On till Music Playing, about the same as the Mylink Navcom had. Ignore the sound as my phone could not begin to deal with the bass response:
http://youtu.be/k_QIt-K6LVg

Last edited by rray; 11-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
rray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
69camaroSS

Drives: 1969 camaro SS;2011 Turbocharged SS
Love what you did with the carpc...any chance you can make a few of these...?

2011 turbocharged SS Borla Touring Axle back
69camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
rray

I wish I had time, but my day job (usually 6 days a week + daily overtime) gives me too little time to do this kind of stuff except on holidays vacation days. That's why it's a month or more between updates on this ongoing project.

I can offer help with cutting any custom plastic parts, and support for a DIY guy though. I learned all this stuff off mp3car.com
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #36
rray

The next project is pimpage up front. I installed a forward facing camera and an LED Scanner bar in Mailslot, cause I wanted to go KITT with it. What I did not like about the scanner's available was the white LED's showing, rather I like it to look all black unless lit up. This is all to be controlled by the carpc.

Here is the standard LED Mailslot Scanner installed. The LED's are visible as white squares across the scanner:

I painted mine with a very thin layer of black spray so the white LED's would not show as much as on the standard scanner:

Next I put clear shrink tube over it to protect the thin paint from routine car wash scratches and the elements:

Then I tested it to see that even though painted, the paint layer was thin enough to let light through, PASS!

I fashoned a camera bracket out of aluminum and mounted the forward facing camera inset as far back as possible on the grill, and the mail slot camera in place. The camera has a swivel mount that allows me to aim it as desired, then lock it in place with a set screw. I aimed it straight ahead so I can record videos with that high speed effect, camera being as low as it is. It's been raining, and this is my daily driver so by Saturday morning, my car is filthy!

Back in the garage, I built a box to interface the camera, and scanner, with my carpc. I have a RAM USB Tough-Hub, and Easy-Cap Video Capture board, and a 0/16/16 Phidget I/O card inside a laser cut ABS box. The Phidget controls camera power and power to the LED scanner. I have a 5A breaker, and only intend to power LED or low current devices from the Phidget, so I alloted 2A to the Phidget and 3A to the HUB. I plan on installing it this morning since it's not raining.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #37
rray

Just a quick update. I made a new cupholder, this time with dual USB 3 ports for faster transfers, added an Array Mic, Installed the HD Radio (waiting on an antenna amplifier), installed a Silabs USB radio, installed a mpcie BT4/AC WIFI card, moved the boot sector from the 256GB 2.5" SSD a 240GB mSATA SSD due to vibration concerns (the mSATA screws down to the motherboard), and optimized fast boot.

I made a video showing it's current features with voice control in Driveline:
http://youtu.be/RR1NWYg2p0g
Old 06-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #38
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
WOW! Lots of hard work there.

Nice job.
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
damn
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #40
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Amazing!!!! I want glow rings for my speakers soooo much now lol
Cldgin2 is offline   Reply With Quote