Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
FFMaro

Drives: 91' Chevy Truck K1500
Financing a Camaro, no credit history

I am 18, work at the fire dept as a FF/EMT making $29,000 a year, I have no credit history, I was just put on as a joint card user on one of my parents credit cards. The credit card company says this will help me to start building credit history. My question is that how long will it take me with this 1 credit card to build enough credit history/ credit score to be able to qualify for a $22,000 auto loan with an $8,000 down payment? Also, what kind of APR might the camaro be offered with? I have no expenses, so I plan to pay this car off as quickly as I can.

Thanks
FFMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
I have no expenses, so I plan to pay this car off as quickly as I can.
How do you have no expenses? Everyone has expenses.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Forever...Best thing you could do is try to convince mom or pop to co-sign on the loan. Better make sure you're committed tho, cuz if you default you screw up THEIR credit.

If you can get on a credit union you might find around 4.3 to 5.2%
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
What about savings? Do you have a Roth IRA, 401k, CDs, etc, etc? I really hate to see a teenagers burning $8000 in savings for a car.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
FFMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
How do you have no expenses? Everyone has expenses.
Let me reiterate that, I live at home and only have to pay for gas, insurance and my cell phone. I dont pay for mortgage, electric, food $ on days off ect. I work 24/48hr shifts at the FD.

How long is "forever" mistercamaro? I also plan to get more cards in my name, 5 total, to help speed up the process. I will have 8K ready to put down by August, a bigger down payment will help? 10K? I would like to own a camaro by the end of 2009.

Also, piggybacking on my parents credit card like I am doing right now is suppost to put their good credit history on my credit record as well? right?

I am committed for sure, my job is a very secure one.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
FFMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
What about savings? Do you have a Roth IRA, 401k, CDs, etc, etc? I really hate to see a teenagers burning $8000 in savings for a car.

I have no savings as of right now, 401K's none, CD's none, How is this burning 8K? Its an investment in a reliable, quality car that I can have for many years to come.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
well i had a credit card from when i was 17, and i wasnt able to get a loan when i was 18 and bought my 25K truck, but if your parents cosign like mine did you can probably get 3.9% interest like i did
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFMaro View Post
Let me reiterate that, I live at home and only have to pay for gas, insurance and my cell phone. I dont pay for mortgage, electric, food $ on days off ect. I work 24/48hr shifts at the FD.

How long is "forever" mistercamaro? I also plan to get more cards in my name, 5 total, to help speed up the process.
I just started crying a little for the future. :bangdesk: [facepalm]

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFMaro View Post
I have no savings as of right now, 401K's none, CD's none, How is this burning 8K? Its an investment in a reliable, quality car that I can have for many years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
No kidding. FFMaro, a car depreciates over time and eventually is worthless (unless of course you plan on keeping this car for 30-40 years). It is not an "investment". The reason it's burning your cash is because you are losing that money and in the end will have nothing to show for it. Do some research on the power of compounding interest. You could take that $8000 and turn it into hundreds of thousands with simple and safe investments. You could start a Roth IRA and grow that money tax free. You might even qualify for a 403b or 457b. Do some research and find ways to save your money first. Wait and buy a 1-year old 2010 Camaro. You will be far better off in the end for it.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
FFMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post

lol, you like to sterotype people, dont you? I am not your average 18 yr old., 5 lines of credit is optimal for credit history building, just because you have lots of credit dosent mean you have to use it all. Maintaining 5 lines of credit and using them all evenly by spreading out your purchases between all 5 helps build really good credit. This will help me get a mortgage in the next few yrs as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
im sorry but having a car and the good times involved are well worth any depreciation, stop being a negative old fart... =P
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
FFMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
No kidding. FFMaro, a car depreciates over time and eventually is worthless (unless of course you plan on keeping this car for 30-40 years). It is not an "investment". The reason it's burning your cash is because you are losing that money and in the end will have nothing to show for it. Do some research on the power of compounding interest. You could take that $8000 and turn it into hundreds of thousands with simple and safe investments. You could start a Roth IRA and grow that money tax free. You might even qualify for a 403b or 457b. Do some research and find ways to save your money first. Wait and buy a 1-year old 2010 Camaro. You will be far better off in the end for it.
Then tell me why your not preaching this to everybody on this forum?

Why does anyone buy a new car?

I think it is worth it to have a car that has not been molested by someone else.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/21/pf/d...ores/index.htm

key highlight:
Quote:
Don't open a number of new credit cards that you don't need. New accounts will lower your average account age, which could actually lower your score by up to 10 points.
Furthermore, every additional credit application hurts your score as lenders take it as a sign you're preparing to go shopping.

And no offense, but 18, living with your parents, limited spending history means little experience managing money. Maybe you have no problems now, but the real test begins when real life begins and you're suddenly on the hook for supporting yourself. Those empty cards look mighty tempting.

Trust me though, there is a very good reason laws were recently passed restricting the ability of credit card companies to sign college students up for tons of credit cards in exchange for free t-shirts.

See also:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060218

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away

Last edited by stovt001; 01-11-2009 at 04:49 PM.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
I also plan to get more cards in my name, 5 total, to help speed up the process.
This has been proven to not speed up the process as companies see 5 cards as a lack of self control. The best way to build credit is to have one credit card and always pay your bills on time. Also, I'd use the money you're making for college, savings, or an apartment rather than blow it all on the LS.

However, if you're going to go through with this anyways than you will probably need your parents to co-sign. If you want your car in 2009 you will need to go preorder now-ish; you will be at the back of the line but since you're getting a V6 you may end up cutting some V8 people because of the 50/50 build ratio.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote