Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
******** X3 Harness Issue????

First I'd like to state that I am very happy with the ******** x3 wriing harness I got and installed to run a 12" sub in my Camaro.

I am having a problem with my factory BA Premium stereo though and I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered the problem with or without this harness. Only since installing the harness have I noticed that my reception of FM stations has degraded severely. XM seems a little worse as well. I find that the stations now drop signal or get staticy more often. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know if it is possible the harness could be causing this? If I take it to the dealer, should I remove the x3 hanesss and my amp and sub first or if not anyone have any proof I could provide that the haness would not and could not cause this problem?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I've been using the Factory Amp Replacement kit from ********, which includes the X3 harness, and have not noticed what you are experiencing. Was anything else changed during the time that you installed the harness? Try taking out the harness, if possible, and see if your issue is resolved.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Shu71

Iwantone2,
I plan to pull the harness to check, before I do that though I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone else had noticed and issue. It sounds like there is an issue with AM/FM reception in some of these cars anyhow. Mine didn't have the issue until recently and the only thing installed was the harness so I thought I would check. No nothing else was changed. Simply added the harness, my amp and the 12" sub.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Hmm...there should be no reason that the harness would cause that to happen, but I could be wrong
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
This is not an issue with the harness. This is a problem with your Subwoofer Amplifier. I have found that many of these "digital" amps will interfere with the FM antenna that is imbedded in the back glass. Going with a non digital amp is all that is needed. All you had to do was ask..might have prevented me from losing business from your title.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
This is not an issue with the harness. This is a problem with your Subwoofer Amplifier. I have found that many of these "digital" amps will interfere with the FM antenna that is imbedded in the back glass. Going with a non digital amp is all that is needed. All you had to do was ask..might have prevented me from losing business from your title.
Being a little dramatic aren't you? Anyone that is thinking about buying your harness would most definately clicked on the link for this thread and read for themself that it was not the harness that caused his problem.

Don't worrry Steve, everyone here knows you only produce quality products at an awesome price. This thread won't cost you any business, but might really help one of your customers!
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I've never had a problem, then again I'm using a cheap MTX Jackhammer 600 amp for my sub
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Being a little dramatic aren't you? Anyone that is thinking about buying your harness would most definately clicked on the link for this thread and read for themself that it was not the harness that caused his problem.

Don't worrry Steve, everyone here knows you only produce quality products at an awesome price. This thread won't cost you any business, but might really help one of your customers!
I been peppering Steve with questions today.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Shu71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Steve,
I am sorry if you read my title in any way that caused you concern. I tried to make it very clear in my first sentence that I didn't think it was a harness issue but wanted to be sure. I am very happy with how simple this harness is to add the sub to this BA system. I have also spread the word about your products and your support of this website on several other non-Camaro websites (xlforum.net which is a Harley Sportster forum). I could not be happier with the product, I needed to make certain there was no chance it could cause the problem I am having and be informed about the reasons why so I have the ammunition needed at the dealer in case the argument arose.

Sooooo I need a non-digital amp.....hmmmm, I'll have to look around. All I am driving with it is a Rockford Fogate P1 12" sub which is 150W RMS/300W max (I think). Any suggestions? I don't need top of the line as I don't crank this up and am not into the rattle the trunk lid and license plate crowd, just like a little more depth to my tunes.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I can set you up with a kicker zx300. It's 150w at 4ohms or 300w at 2ohms. Should be more than plenty to do the trick.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Shu71

Thank you Steve. I knew my amp wasn't the best brand but I never expected it to possibly be the cause of FM interferance so I really appreciate your help understanding what was happening and I will order the amp above when funds are available. If anyone read my title as any sort of negative toward the x3 harness or ********, I am very sorry as that is not how I intended it at all.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Shu71

I want to give an update on this thread to clear things up. First I swapped out my Boss Audio 5 channel amp for an Orion mono amp. It was thought that maybe my Boss was operating in digital on the sub channel. The new Orion is A/B only. Upon installation I thought it improved my FM signal reception a little but was again not overly impressed with stations cutting out. About a month ago we took a family vacation and took the Camaro. To do it, I had to pull the sub and amp out of the trunk. To do this I pulled all the wiring as well. Well guess what...the radio FM signal didn't improve any better than it was with the sub/amp installed. Then a few weeks after getting home I had rock falling from the sky incident in the Camaro and it took out the windshield and did damage to the roof and hood. So it went to the shop for a week and they gave me an Uplander to drive and it's stereo reception was poorer than I thought it should be. So I jumped in my daughters G5 and it too lost signal. Hmmm, I guess the radio stations I listen too changed how strong their signal is broadcast in the last 6 months. So long story short, in NO WAY was the x3 harness or my amp the cause for the signal loss. However if you are having problems with significant signal loss, it very well could be from the use of a digital amp and interference with the antennae in the back glass just like Steve said. I also am posting this because I want Steve to know I appreciate his customer service and the quality products he sells.