Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
ccutaia

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS,
Noise coming from manual shifter

I have some noise (vibration/trans) coming up from the boot cover on my Hurst shifter since I changed a DefenderWorx Gear Shifter handle. Has anyone encounter the same thing, and if you did how did you stop our quiet it down?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccutaia View Post
I have some noise (vibration/trans) coming up from the boot cover on my Hurst shifter since I changed a DefenderWorx Gear Shifter handle. Has anyone encounter the same thing, and if you did how did you stop our quiet it down?

Maybe it's the handle and the thread adapter. What I did was use Teflon on the adapter before spinning the handle on. I don't get any rattle there. I'm guessing you were able to put you eat to the boot while driving and that's where you pin pointed it to. Even try removing the handle and driving before you start messing with the boot. Otherwise just remove the trim and drive around without the boot and see if you can pin point better.

I remember reading that the nylon bushing that is supplied from hurst isn't the greatest quality and some people bought a metal one which fixed some issues. Hopefully someone will chime in point us in the right direction, I'd like to get one of those bushings as well. I have some issues going into 4th and I think that might be the culprit.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
My hurst shifter USED to rattle. I found that as mine wore in it stopped rattling. It wasnt the nylon bushing (which I have) its the dry teflon ball which the shifter actually sits in. I have dynamat on mine, it helped a bit but over time wear and tear fixed it lol.

The added weight could have started your rattle as well. I noticed mine would rattle more depending on the weight of the shift knob.

They seem tk be finicky with the rattles. And there seems to be no easy fix. Try some dynamat on the shifter under the boot.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Are you certain that the noise is originating from below the dust boot? You might want to determine if there is a small gap between the top of the threads on the stick and the inside top of your new shifter handle. If so, I know that several people have experienced similar issues with aftermarket knobs. Filling the gap with silicone rubber should help to dull any added harshness or vibration that was introduced by installing your new handle.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote