Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Andymon

Drives: TwinTurbo 2012 IOM Camaro 2SS
Added some questions.

If you have done how has the items changed your vehicle both good and bad? How has oem ride quality changed? Over bumps and rough roads?
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I thought I should add that, for traction to support your goal of 600 RWHP, it's typically better to have a soft suspension to allow weight transfer. Once you stiffen it with coilovers, you will likely hook up less. Lots of other factors though. So for that reason, sticking with the stock springs but beefier sways and bushings seems best.

I had a 630HP '95 Camaro, it was downright dangerous with the Eibach Sportline (if I remember right) springs/shocks, I could smoke the tires at 60+MPH accidentally. So I swapped out that suspension for drag suspension (soft springs and shocks in front, special torque arm, 315 drag radials, Etc.). Then it hooked up like nobody's business.

The more I think about it, you may want a 1LE-like suspension. Not lowered, handles fantastic, not too stiff. You could mix and match OEM and aftermarket stuff. I'd probably do Pedders sway bars, 1LE OEM shocks, plus some key bushings. You will not believe how well it handles, and traction is decent.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Just wanted to jump in,
Actually that is not correct.

On solid rear axle cars that is 100% correct, however on IRS car's like the 5th Gen Camaro it's best to control the rear of the car from compressing. If you allow the rear of the car to compress, you also allow negative camber to increase, and thus the contact patch of the tire goes away. On a Camaro to launch best you want to keep the rear of the car at a level that the Camber doesn't go too negative.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Interesting Rob, thanks. I didn't realize, but it does make a lot of sense.

So how do you get traction with IRS? What do the guys do when they are focused on straight line performance?
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Rob@WretchedMS

Getting the rear of the car down is important, but with the stock alignment bolts you can't get the camber near 0. This is where the Pedders alignment bolts come in, as they allow more adjustment, and can typically get the rear camber at or close to zero while still allowing it to be lowered a bit. Sometimes even getting the camber a bit positive works well too for straight line.

Xa Coilovers are helpful in this situation since you can not only adjust the height where it works best, but you can stiffen them up to help in the launch.
Supercar Coilovers are even better with this since you can adjust the compression and rebound independently, helping even more.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
Rob@WretchedMS

I think what Andymon is looking for is people that have the parts on their car, and how they feel about the differences in ride quality vs stock.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I thought I should add that, for traction to support your goal of 600 RWHP, it's typically better to have a soft suspension to allow weight transfer. Once you stiffen it with coilovers, you will likely hook up less. Lots of other factors though. So for that reason, sticking with the stock springs but beefier sways and bushings seems best.

I had a 630HP '95 Camaro, it was downright dangerous with the Eibach Sportline (if I remember right) springs/shocks, I could smoke the tires at 60+MPH accidentally. So I swapped out that suspension for drag suspension (soft springs and shocks in front, special torque arm, 315 drag radials, Etc.). Then it hooked up like nobody's business.

The more I think about it, you may want a 1LE-like suspension. Not lowered, handles fantastic, not too stiff. You could mix and match OEM and aftermarket stuff. I'd probably do Pedders sway bars, 1LE OEM shocks, plus some key bushings. You will not believe how well it handles, and traction is decent.
That sounds like an idea. I was thining about piecing things together.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
I think what Andymon is looking for is people that have the parts on their car, and how they feel about the differences in ride quality vs stock.
Yes thank you.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Rob is Da Man too!!!!

And yes coilovers are worth it on the street, like Rob says, for the reasons stated.

On vacation guys but will be back later this week. In the mean time listen to Rob.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Rob@WretchedMS

I would not install 1LE shocks if you want the ride quality to remain about the same as the stock SS. The 1LE shocks are stiffer and less compliant than the SS shocks are.

I would stick with the stock shocks or do coilovers, but not the FE6 shocks from the 1LE
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Rob is Da Man too!!!!

And yes coilovers are worth it on the street, like Rob says, for the reasons stated.

On vacation guys but will be back later this week. In the mean time listen to Rob.

T.
Yes I know...he is the man!!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
He is slow, but helpful.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!