Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Talking STS Twin Turbo Hits the Dyno!!!

The STS kit has now been tested both on the road and on the dyno. There have been tons of folks asking about the numbers so here they are:

This thread is intended for informative and discussion purposes only....

I just got some numbers from the guys at STS.

This is base line numbers, and was done with a conservative tune on 91 octane fuel.

Running just under 7psi on an otherwise stock Camaro SS:
541 RWHP and 557 RWTQ
That is up 193 RWHP and 227 RWTQ over their baseline dyno runs!!
This car is making full boost at 3k RPM and drives awesome (straight from STS).

These numbers were on an LS3 which baselined at 348HP. So you have a gain of 193 RWHP!!! That is a heck of an increase!!

These numbers were made with a very conservative tune, and with 91 octane fuel. There will be a little more HP to get from the tune still...

Also there will be upgraded Turbos available with should unlease 20HP more at the same psi levels!! Those have a larger compressor housing and upgraded bearings.

Dyno charts and Videos to be posted soon...The guys at STS have been busy, and the quality of this kit is a testament to their hardwork.

Last edited by ZZcamaro; 10-15-2009 at 07:38 PM.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
Sweet...I'm a little confused about adding 20HP with the same psi just by upgrading turbos?
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
The baseline numbers seem a little low for an LS3 or maybe it was just the dyno. Either way, those are some great numbers at what looks to be a pretty safe tune and psi. Nice!!!

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
ZZcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
Sweet...I'm a little confused about adding 20HP with the same psi just by upgrading turbos?
Yeah it is weird to understand...I was confused until STS gave me the whole speech...but it has to do with efficiency of the bearings and the larger compressor housing....it also lowers temps more for the intake charge.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Wow, great results!

Baseline numbers do see low for an LS3, by around 20hp. 91 octane instead of 93 to blame?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Stang Stomper

Drives: a Camaro...in my dreams
Quote:
Think of it like a water hose. A hose that is 1.5" in diameter will flow more water than a hose that is 1" in diameter at the same pressure. Similarly, a larger turbo will flow more air at the same PSI than a smaller turbo, and more air = more fuel = more power.
Stang Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
ZZcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Stomper View Post
Think of it like a water hose. A hose that is 1.5" in diameter will flow more water than a hose that is 1" in diameter at the same pressure. Similarly, a larger turbo will flow more air at the same PSI than a smaller turbo, and more air = more fuel = more power.
Well said.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
general23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Stomper View Post
Not sure if I totally agree with this statement...PSI in the manifold is PSI in the manifold. If they are at the same PSI (and temp), the same amount of air is entering the engine. If the larger turbo were supplying more air to the engine as this statement implies, the boost pressure would have to increase. I would say for the above analogy to apply, the pipe would equate to the cubic inches of the motor. Obviously, if the engine is larger and has the same boost, more air is entering it. For two identical engines with slightly different turbos at the same boost (and temp), they are moving essentially the same amount of air.

I do agree that the HP would go up with smaller intake temperatures and thus denser air as ZZ suggested. PV=nRT will apply.

I think this is the reason for the 20HP gain.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
lovesboost

Drives: soon to arrive 2010 rs/ss
Quote:
Not sure if I totally agree with this statement...PSI in the manifold is PSI in the manifold. If they are at the same PSI (and temp), the same amount of air is entering the engine. If the larger turbo were supplying more air to the engine as this statement implies, the boost pressure would have to increase. I would say for the above analogy to apply, the pipe would equate to the cubic inches of the motor. Obviously, if the engine is larger and has the same boost, more air is entering it. For two identical engines with slightly different turbos at the same boost (and temp), they are moving essentially the same amount of air.

I do agree that the HP would go up with smaller intake temperatures and thus denser air as ZZ suggested. PV=nRT will apply.

I think this is the reason for the 20HP gain.
you can increase volume without increasing boost
lovesboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
outlawz

Drives: 1995 Camaro Z28 Drag car
are there pics of this setup and what it looks like underhood???? I know the STS kit mounts in the back so i'd like to see what the kit looks like.... and how much....
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
general23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesboost View Post
you can increase volume without increasing boost
Do you mean engine volume or air volume? Surely you do not mean air volume (considering pressure and temperature are the same).

Yes, turbo A may outflow turbo B at a given pressure; however, you must be dumping more air out somewhere else rather than into the engine for the pressure (boost) and temperature to remain the same if using Turbo A.

Also, it depends on your definition of volume. Hot gases have more volume than cold for a given mass of air, so colder intake temepratures are desired for more air to enter the engine. Less volume is desired if it is achieved by cooling the same amount of air.

Many people mean mass of air when they say volume. The mass of air entering the engine is what is really important.

Bottom line is that if you are feeding an engine of a specific displacement (V), air at a temperature and pressure (boost) of T and P, respectively, then a specific mass of air (n) is being supplied to the engine. R is a constant, and thus PV=nRT. Looking at the equation, if you lower T, then n must increase for P and V to remain the same. Thus more air being supplied to the engine. This equation also shows the relationship that temeprature has on the density of a gas at constant pressure. "n/V" is essentially gas density, so as T goes up or down, n/V must also change inversely for P to remain constant.

I firmly believe that the 20HP increase comes from cooler intake temperatures from a more efficient turbo/cooler if they keep the same boost, providing no injector or computer witchcraft.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want to understand if there is something I am misunderstanding.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
As much as would love to type out a long explanation on how you can make more power by increase flow I don't have the time, or care to put it into simple words. This link should help explain it to you.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bern.html
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Nice work STS!

Now get to work on that V6 kit please.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
ZZcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz View Post
are there pics of this setup and what it looks like underhood???? I know the STS kit mounts in the back so i'd like to see what the kit looks like.... and how much....
There will be pics posted soon...I will have videos also. They are just working on getting them all taken early next week.