Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Question So can I tune this thing or not??

At the dealer this morning for my oil change and I asked about what mods they are funny about, particularly exhaust and CAI. The guy I was talking to said no they won't void it but it's really not worth it unless your going to tune the car. I said, can't do that, that really will void the warranty.

He says and I quote, "You will just have to make sure to flash the tune back to stock, they won't be able to detect it that way." I asked if the cars have an audit trail on the computer and he told me no.

Everyone here has told me different, that the dealerships will know if I tuned the car. This guy, who seemed pretty genuine, tells me I have nothing to worry about.

HELP?!?!

Tayap79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
The guy you spoke to is W R O N G. He sounds like an oil lube tech. Which means he has no clue.
The dealer will always be able to tell if the ecm has been flashed.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
My dealer says they dont care either. Said they would put on the long tubes and headers and tune it accordingly even. They do performance mods. As far as the warranty if the parts are GMPP then they are covered otherwise that part isnt covered. GM will void warranty on the powertrain if they find you tuned, Apparently there is a check the tech can do and then it gets sent to GM and then GM replies with whether it has been tampered with. Whether this check is ever performed or not is anyones guess...? Ultimately its up to your dealer I guess.
mattsfirstSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
At the dealer this morning for my oil change and I asked about what mods they are funny about, particularly exhaust and CAI. The guy I was talking to said no they won't void it but it's really not worth it unless your going to tune the car. I said, can't do that, that really will void the warranty.

He says and I quote, "You will just have to make sure to flash the tune back to stock, they won't be able to detect it that way." I asked if the cars have an audit trail on the computer and he told me no.

Everyone here has told me different, that the dealerships will know if I tuned the car. This guy, who seemed pretty genuine, tells me I have nothing to worry about.

HELP?!?!

The dealer can still see the tune in the ECM even if you flash it back to stock, on the V8s. The V6's they can't see it.

My dealer will still warranty my car with a tune but every dealer is different.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Tayap79

Freaking frustrating.

I'd love to tune it but I'm paranoid about having a failure and not having my warranty honored.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Freaking frustrating.

I'd love to tune it but I'm paranoid about having a failure and not having my warranty honored.
Don't tune it then. Every dealer is different, but they can tell if you flash it back. I've heard of some dealers giving owners flack over drop-in filters....

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Freaking frustrating.

got pay to play.... only politicians try to have us believe otherwise
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Tayap79

If I knew I would be around this dealer for the entire life of my warranty, I'd go ahead and tune it but with my job, I could only be here for another few months.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
i dont think its really up to the dealer...not when gm requests to see the cars ecm info before they warrenty a repair. it might not matter on a small issue, but the big issues that you REALLY dont want to pay for....well i doubt gm, or the dealer , will be covering those.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
If I knew I would be around this dealer for the entire life of my warranty, I'd go ahead and tune it but with my job, I could only be here for another few months.
The dealer may say they will warranty it, but if a major failure happens then GM has to make the call. If GM were to say no, I doubt the dealership would spend thousands out of their pockets.

I was told the same thing about putting the stock tune back on until they realized the ECM is is part of GDS, and that changed everything. That said, my car broke a valve spring at about 36k miles,while driving down the hiway. The repairs were made, no questions asked...BUT this isn't considered a major powertrain failure.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Dealers keep all broken warranty parts for a certain amount of time. If GM calls them up and requests the part they send it in if not it gets trashed. It will still be broken. My buddy is a BMW master tech so I imagine its a little different but every time I talk to him about it he says they wont ever care...pretty much only get caught if the test that I have seen outlined bout performing an ECM number something or other check is performed by the tech and sent to GM, again im not sure if this ever happens.

I still havent tuned though....
mattsfirstSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I personally know at least 5 guys who have had their warranty voided for tunes and mods.

One of the very first things my dealership asked me on the night i picked my car up was do you want some headers and a tune? I said will you warranty the car? I got crickets...

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
For the V6 supposedly, they cannot tell if it is re-flashed. That is probably when he has heard & it has him confused. But on the SS they can tell, from what I have read on this forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
For the V6 supposedly, they cannot tell if it is re-flashed. That is probably when he has heard & it has him confused. But on the SS they can tell, from what I have read on this forum.