Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Road Trip to Colorado in the Camaro? thoughts and route

Last year I went to Breckenridge Colorado during summer for a week and fell in love with it and I want to go back. I live in North Florida, and we flew when we went last year. I definitely see the advantage of flying; we left Tallahassee at 8am and were in Denver by noon their time. It was quick and fairly easy and would definitely consider flying again, but at the same time I have never taken a real road trip in my life and thought this would be an excellent opportunity so I am beginning to think about and plan out a trip.

On google maps, it shows as being a 26 hour drive. I would make the trip next summer so as to avoid any chance of snow or iced roads. I was thinking of breaking it into 2 13 hour, + or -, shifts. Leaving on a Friday midday and driving until early morning sat and stopping somewhere to sleep. Sleeping until late morning, and then doing the same midday -> early morning drive again, hopefully getting into Breckenridge Sunday morning sometime. Also, unless I were to meet some one and have a SO by this time, I will likely be making the drive alone.

So here are my questions:

- Has anyone taken a road trip of this magnitude in their Camaro before? Do you regret it and would you do it again?
- Would I go insane driving for 26 hours by myself? I'm thinking that I could get a handsfree dock for my iPhone and skype/facetime with people while driving
- Driving from north Florida to Breck, what route would be great for the view and maybe a couple places to stop if i don't mind making the trip take longer. It looks like the 2 main routes are going west through Louisiana and Texas, and then north or north to Tennessee and then heading west.

As far as pricing goes.. 1800 miles, each way, at 22mpg and $4 per gallon, comes in at around $650 dollars. Conversely, a round trip Delta flight is 450 in May of 2015, but then I would still have to rent a car or a week when I get into Denver, so I think it comes out to be about the same if not more to fly.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I think you will probably average more than 22 mpg on an 1800 mile trip if you drive at or near the speed limits, more like 25. Other than that, your calculations look good. Taking the rental car into account, it will probably cost you a little more flying. Also southern state fuel prices tend to be cheaper than elsewhere. You will probably average around $3.75 a gallon for super.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I just got back from a 3300 mile road trip from Venice Fl to Toronto ON. Third time I have made the trip in a Camaro. First two were in my 2010 SS and the one two weeks ago was in my 650+whp ZL1. These cars are great long distance tourers! I prefer to leave around 5:30-6:00 AM and get in a 14 hr day the first day out. That gives me a shorter second day. My old modded SS got around 22.5 mpg as I recall, ZL1 only got me 17 mpg. Do the drive Im sure you will love it. I'm driving from Venice to LA at the beginning of August, unfortunately not in my Z. I love long solo road trips!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Me and the wife are leaving in the morning to head up to Columbus, Ohio from High Point, NC. Going to hit the back roads through the mountains. I have a good trek planned and it should be an awesome drive.

On the way home, we are just going to ride the interstate.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Personally I love road trips. I've driven pretty much all over the US. Unfortunately, since I've gotten the Camaro I haven't been able to really open her up due to not able to get a lot of time off from work (lol finally have the car and money to do something and I don't have time). Anyway, I've done 4-5 hour treks around Florida in my 2SS and absolutely love it. Also have cousins out in Colorado and I've driven around that area a lot, beautiful place (going up mountains and around bends with no guardrails scares the poop out of me though!).

You might want to look into getting a clearbra or a regular bra for the front of the car to avoid small chips and such as this will be quite a journey. I've done 21 hours straight one day driving from here to Massachusetts and the only thing I have to say is make sure you bring stuff to keep you awake and keep you active, granted the Camaro will definitely help with that!
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
'13Inferno

Drives: '13 Camaro LS
I just got back from a 5500 mile road trip, over a couple weeks. But my first two days of driving was from Tucson, Az to Sturgis, Sd. It was about 21 hours total. I drove that by myself. It was relaxing. Just listen to the radio
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
tlwarren08

Drives: Camaro SS
Ill be heading to NE Arkansas on wednesday from CO springs…And in the camaro it'll be my wife, 1yr old son and me for 14Hrs its going to be a thrill I'm sure! Wives car is in the shop…IF you can avoid Kansas do so its over 500 miles of the same straight road! One of the guys went on leave to orlando area. I would take his route staying down south cutting up through Dallas, over into NM and south colorado, you could take a back way through the Rockies, Just don't' make the trip in the winter, even though it is absolutely amazing
tlwarren08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
ex-SS-ve

having done that drive a few times myself. unfortunately the scenery is extremely boring until you get past Huntsville tx. from that point on its pretty nice. something about seeing endless trees and swamps driving that stretch of 1-10 from florida to tx that puts you to sleep.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
That's a mighty long maiden voyage for you, having never taken a road trip before - especially by yourself. And if you are trying to do it in two days, you obviously aren't interested in taking in any sights along the way so... why bother driving. Of course, driving through some of those states (OK, KS, NE, for instance) is pretty dull and boring anyway.

I think you should make your first road trip a shorter one say... 1,000 miles round trip or less. Once you're out there it can get very lonely and boring by yourself.

AND DON'T FREAKIN' SKYPE/FACETIME WHILE DRIVING!!! EYES ON THE ROAD!!!!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
I drove from Pueblo CO to Hot Springs Arkansas in a 99 WS6. It was great, I averaged 85-90 mph through Kansas and Oklahoma. Got pulled over in Arkansas for speeding. 800 miles at 85-90 and I get pulled over within 100 miles of my destination. Hehehe State patrol was a real nice guy. Anyway, it can be done. But driving 14 hours in one shot is rough, especially if you are the only one driving. Just take it easy and you will be fine.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Avoid I-80, so boring. Can make some good time, but boring through Iowa and Nebraska. There is a Hwy 86 outside of Springfield MO, lots of twisties not much weekday traffic. Taking a southern route is more scenic IMO.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '13Inferno View Post
I just got back from a 5500 mile road trip, over a couple weeks. But my first two days of driving was from Tucson, Az to Sturgis, Sd. It was about 21 hours total. I drove that by myself. It was relaxing. Just listen to the radio
I think you came with your dad also?? We all ran autocross together in the morning )
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's a mighty long maiden voyage for you, having never taken a road trip before - especially by yourself. And if you are trying to do it in two days, you obviously aren't interested in taking in any sights along the way so... why bother driving. Of course, driving through some of those states (OK, KS, NE, for instance) is pretty dull and boring anyway.

I think you should make your first road trip a shorter one say... 1,000 miles round trip or less. Once you're out there it can get very lonely and boring by yourself.

AND DON'T FREAKIN' SKYPE/FACETIME WHILE DRIVING!!! EYES ON THE ROAD!!!!

Well my thought was having the phone aimed at me, but not looking at it. I am not one to take my eyes off the road. I could of course do a speaker phone call if I wanted to talk to some one, but figured a friend or 2 would like to actually see me, and maybe the country side out of the corner of the image.

It seems be the recurring comment though that a lot of the road is pretty boring.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
NorthRoutt

Drives: 2013 1SS/RS LS3 SIM
I would encourage you to do it but allow yourself some time to enjoy the driving and scenery while you're out here.

You could come into Colorado from the south on I-25 through Trinidad then head west to Alamosa and Great Sand Dunes National Park. You can get on Hwy 285 west of Alamosa and then go north towards Salida and Buena Vista. From there you have options to go west on mountain roads or continue north towards Breckenridge/Copper Mountain/Vail.

If you're really looking for the mountain driving experience, you should check out Monarch Pass between Salida and Gunnison and (maybe) Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Durango. Monarch can be done at a good clip with passing lanes and some 3-lane stuff.

Red Mountain Pass is legitimately scary and not to be taken lightly. It is probably the most awesome stretch of road I've ever seen though. It won't be high speed but the views are unbelievable.

I would avoid I-80 if you can. It's boring and will be full of truckers and road construction in the summer. I-70 won't be much better.