Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Tal

Drives: Old
Just sit in one and see what you think.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaSS View Post

BTW I posted a similar question on a GTO forum and no one suggested I get the Camaro. Where's the love?

NO offense-- but, just by seeing how most GTO owners have acted on this forum, (Especially the GTO/ vs SS thread)-- I have no doubt the would say that.

If you can swing it, Keep the GTO and add the Camaro to the Family.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
NO offense-- but, just by seeing how most GTO owners have acted on this forum, (Especially the GTO/ vs SS thread)-- I have no doubt the would say that.

If you can swing it, Keep the GTO and add the Camaro to the Family.
+1

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Get the Camaro,you wont be sorry.I had an 06 GTO and loved it,but it went back under the lemon law.Got an 08 Vette after that and hated it,I liked the GTO better.Now that I have the Camaro I am happy except for the L99 lifter tick.So I turned off AFM and no more tick,happy,happy,happy.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I really liked the GTO's. I liked them so much I tried to get the wife in one AFTER I got my baby. She likes the interior better in the SS but the visibility better in the GTO.

I would have been happy in the GTO, but add the heated seats, extra power, great looks and general wow factor and I LOVE my Camaro.

I can't say I would have been happy with the GTO long term, but I know I will be happy with my Camaro long term. 15K on the Camaro in 8 months and loving every minute of it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I test rode an auto 6.0 GTO and a 2010 SS manual. As far as sheer quickness off the line, I thought the GT0 felt faster. Aside from that I liked both cars.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Camaro's are cool and all but if u have a GTO keep it bro. I have a buddy with a 06 GTO LS2 MN6, they are very rare. The GTO's are pretty fast with heads, cam, CAI and full exhaust. I would build the motor and u pretty much have a new car imho !!!
U can't go wrong with a new CamaroSS MN6 though
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The GTO ran on the Holden VZ chassis. The VZ chassis is derived from a decades old Opel chassis. The front suspension geometry in the GTO had a radius rod that mounted well inboard of the knuckle. The front of the rod was connected to a center loading hydraulically damped radius bush that was prone to substantial deflection when accelerating or stopping leading to unwanted Castor change. The steering rack is mounted behind the wheels in the GTO. The upper strut mount is problematic. The front wheels operate in a large dynamic range.

The Camaro front suspension is far more robust. It should be. GM spent a BILLION dollars developing ZETA to succeed the VZ chassis in the Holden Commodore range and as a global RWD platform. The radius rod has been replaced by a radius arm that does not mount to the LCA, but rather directly t the knuckle. The radius arm forward bush is side loading -- far more stable. The steering rack mounts forward of the knuckle again increasing stability of the suspension geometry. The new ZETA II (ZETA continues to use the old GTO style strut mount) has a new style strut mount which should prove to be trouble free for many miles.

In the rear, the old VZ had no true control arms. It used K members. There is no upper arm or trailing arm in the GTO. The GTO rear sub-frame mounts with only two bolts. The differential carries mounts to the monocoque with four tiny little bolts. All of these dated design features are addressed with the ZETA and ZETA II chassis designs. It is as though the engineers at GM made a check list for all the weaknesses in the old VZ / GTO and addressed each one in the new vehicle.

I am a GTO guy. The GTO was my first GM love. They drive very well and I have to admit I am not sure how with boosted RWHP and such a dated design. The GTO is what the 5th Gen really would have been had the Camaro not dropped out of production. The car we all refer to as the 5th Gen is really the 6th or 7th Gen depending on how you calculate model years. The Camaro is so much better is so many ways to drive. That is not a slap at the GTO. The Camaro should be a much better vehicle as it rides on state-of-the-art technology. I still hold out a slim hope that GM will find a way to bring back the GTO name on a future ZETA derived chassis.

To the OP / FlaSS you should be thrilled with a new Camaro. I have driven long distances in mine and the only car I prefer for cross country travel is my G8 which as we all know is a four door Camaro. Enjoy your new Camaro.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Exterior wise there is no comparison, the GTO styling was dated 5 yrs back when it came out. The Camaro blows it away.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I loved my '04 GTO, I love my 2SS. Given a choice I would rather go back to the GTO and no payment versus the 2SS with a payment.

You will still love the 2SS, there are some things that are sacrifices in the 2SS.

There is no space in the back seat, in the GTO getting back there was tough but once someone was back there there was a lot of space. The 2ss has little space.

The trunk in 2ss is better plus you can lay down the back seat, the GTO you could fit nothing.

The stereo sound quality is similar (if you reset your radio and turned up the amp in the trunk) but the head unit in the 2ss is better plus Ipod jacks.

2ss has a second power port so you can charge a phone and use the radar detector at the same time, GTO I installed a triple outlet under the radio.

Seats are great in both cars but the GTOs were more ergonomic and I think better leather.

If you think vision is limited in the GTO, especially the rear quarter, wait till you see how bad it is in the 2ss.

Other than that the 2ss is an awesome car to drive. If I had over 100k miles in the GTO as you do and was considering something newer, you will be happy if you can do without the back seat for anything other than mid sized kids. If you are not sure, I would wait for 2011, there may be a DI V8 on the way (probably not till 2012). The GTO is a great car and if it is still reliable it is not a sacrifice to drive.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote