Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #29
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
yes, but if you took the time to read thru that link you would see where it was noted that the new 4.5L diesel V-8 that GM is bringing out weighs more than an aluminum block motor, but lest than a traditional cast iron motor.

you can put that same diesel v-8 with the SS suspension and call it a day.

TYPICAL diesels are heavy as balls. but this one is a lot different from anything you or I have ever seen.

and it does get hard to pass emissions..... for ANY motor these days. but id pay a little bit more to pass emissions to get the power AND mpg that this motor would give in a midsize car or truck.
You can also just slap on twin turbos onto the V6 with the SS supension and call it a day. The difference is that it will still wiegh lighter and can be tune to make waaaaaay more HP, and it will probaly be cheaper. A win, win scenario.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's a good idea for an optional powerplant. I would rather drive a jacked up F250 and hang out with drunk aggies if I was going diesel.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #31
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
You can also just slap on twin turbos onto the V6 with the SS supension and call it a day. The difference is that it will still wiegh lighter and can be tune to make waaaaaay more HP, and it will probaly be cheaper. A win, win scenario.

for the amount you will be paying for your TT setup, I could get the DI turbo V-8 and swap to a bigger blower and still have money left over to add more power and still tune to make waaaaaaaaay more HP.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #32
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I agree with spike! You can get gobs of power out of a good diesel engine for less pain in the wallet. Plus the mpg's is far to good to ignore.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #33
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Make all the high revving HP you want with your twin turbo's, when it's time to giddy-up go it's all about the torque. Re-read those torque numbers above.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #34
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Make all the high revving HP you want with your twin turbo's, when it's time to giddy-up go it's all about the torque. Re-read those torque numbers above.
+1. horespower without the torque to back it up is worthless!

i'd much rather have a turbo diesel than a turbo V6 'revving to the moon.' i just hate the sound of a high-revving 4 or 6 cylinder besides... have you seen what tuners have been getting out of diesels lately? i've seen 1ton duallies outrun Z06s & Vipers.

and for y'all whining about corners, check out the Gale Banks D-Max Type-R

it races in the Super Unlimited Class in NASA. this TT 6.6 Duramax is putting out 650hp/800lb-ft @ 2500rpm!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #35
SnoMoDude600

Drives: 2001 Ford Crown Victoria LX
Having a 05 Duramax 2500 in the garage i am interested in the diesel. If they can build s treatable diesels with 1000HP (yes 1000HP) and over 2000lb-ft of torque with a 6.6L and running 10's in the 1/4. You can easily expect to be able to make a 4.5 L make 800HP and 1500lb-ft. While getting hi 20's/low 30's in mpg. Plus they use a compacted graphite iron block that is lighter and stronger than cast iron. And there is no beating the exhaust noise that you can get out of a turbo diesel with a 5in exhaust. Keep an eye on banks engineering to see what kind of kits and the power they will have for the 4.5L in the near future. One more thing, with Urea injection the air that comes out of the exhaust is cleaner than the air going in and is already meeting 2012 emission requirements.
SnoMoDude600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #36
truth411

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
+1. horespower without the torque to back it up is worthless!

i'd much rather have a turbo diesel than a turbo V6 'revving to the moon.' i just hate the sound of a high-revving 4 or 6 cylinder besides... have you seen what tuners have been getting out of diesels lately? i've seen 1ton duallies outrun Z06s & Vipers.

it races in the Super Unlimited Class in NASA. this TT 6.6 Duramax is putting out 650hp/800lb-ft @ 2500rpm!
Ahh come on, don't you guys think you are under estemating a TT DI V6. It will make Plenty of torque, PLUS it will make way MORE Horsepower than any desiel. Put a TT V6 camaro up against a turbo Desiel Camaro on a race track, the Desiel will loose.
I heard the sound of the V6 and its sounds really good, you are in the minority if you don't like the Camaro V6 sound.
And what relation does Gales Banks D-Max have anything to do with the subject?? its a truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #37
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Ahh come on, don't you guys think you are under estemating a TT DI V6. It will make Plenty of torque, PLUS it will make way MORE Horsepower than any desiel. Put a TT V6 camaro up against a turbo Desiel Camaro on a race track, the Desiel will loose.
I heard the sound of the V6 and its sounds really good, you are in the minority if you don't like the Camaro V6 sound.
And what relation does Gales Banks D-Max have anything to do with the subject?? its a truck.
who cares if it makes more horsepower, you can only use so many rpm's so 500 hp at 8000rpm still means you have to rev the motor to 8k just to get peak power.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #38
truth411

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
who cares if it makes more horsepower, you can only use so many rpm's so 500 hp at 8000rpm still means you have to rev the motor to 8k just to get peak power.
I am talking about Twin turbo charging the Camaro V6, with a 7000 rpm redline, plus with twin turbos there is soooooo much mid-range grunt that you don't have to rev it much at all. Trust me you guys are extremley underestimating DI TT V6's. When the ecoboost comes out on the mustang, there are going to be close to 600hp turbo mustangs rolling around on the street with the aftermarket, it is sooooo easy to get more hp and Tq by simply turning up the boost. Mustang fans are going to tune the ecoboost in a similar fashion the Import fans tune the Supra.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #39
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

I think everyone knows my stance on a Gale banks powered diesel camaro
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #40
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
the discussion ain't about a TT LLT. it's about the possibility of a diesel powerplant being a viable option in the future. yeah... the 3.6 has plenty of potential, especially when you throw on a pair of turbos. i ain't even gonna ask why you brought the V6 exhaust sound into the discussion.

the D-Max truck is perfectly relevant because it demonstrates some of the things that can be done with a Duramax (which this 4.5 happens to be). Gale Banks is a big name when it comes to turbos & diesels, and this truck (one that keeps its 3200lbs right alongside purpose-built Vipers, Ferraris, Corvettes, & the likes) is an example of diesel power that ain't just used on the drag strip but on road courses, too.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #41
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
I guess no one noticed the

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
620 pounds-feet of torque.
*drool*
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #42
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
7000rpm redline.... is nice.... but who wants to be having to spin that high all the time just to get any useable power.

its nice to rev, its nicer to move.

hp sells cars, torque wins races.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote