Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #29
monaroCountry

Drives: HSV GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
this guy actually said an SS is a better car than the hellcat............. a SS
Its a much better and put together car, it only looses in straight line and horsepower, looks are subjective.
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #30
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Only on this forum would anyone take the boring looking SS over a hellcat Charger.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #31
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CamaroSS View Post
Only on this forum would anyone take the boring looking SS over a hellcat Charger.
fanboys
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #32
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
If my car with just tires and race gas went mid 10's@133 I wouldn't cry over a broken "stock" driveshaft. Look at the 60ft times that bemoth is running. Facts are facts the hellcats are the baddest thing in a straight line out right now.
There's a thread started by nineball ZR1 vs Viper TA vs hellcat vs Z06 DRAG test.
Check it out.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #33
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
206-MPH...........
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #34
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Upper max of 206? That's stupid fast..

Sometimes tells me what while the hype was on the Challenger Hellcat, Dodge knew the Charger Hellcat was going to be the performance star of the two.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #35
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Or you could buy a car that doesn't scream look at me, that handles so much better for far less and flies under everyone's radar, including cops.

The SS is a performance car for grownups.

The Shelby GT500 has the better power than a Z28, no question. Do you think the Shelby is a better car though? I doubt that you do.... then again you might, I don't know.

You simply don't like the SS because it doesn't satisfy your need to be seen driving it. If it were possible to drive the two cars blindfolded and then pick one, you might choose differently.

Having said that, it's not the same class of car simply b/c they both have 4 doors & are RWD. They really don't compete against each other. As you mentioned, I doubt anyone that is interested in a Hellcat would consider the Chevy SS, as subconsciously the SS just isn't boy racer enough for those people. So if you're all about an attention whorish neon sign of a car that every cop will stalk, every civic & minivan driver want to race and jealous people want to vandalize, the Hellcat is your car.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #36
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Or you could buy a car that doesn't scream look at me, that handles so much better for far less and flies under everyone's radar, including cops.

The Shelby GT500 has the better power than a Z28, no question. Do you think the Shelby is a better car though? I doubt that you do.... then again you might, I don't know.

You simply don't like the SS because it doesn't satisfy your need to be seen driving it. If it were possible to drive the two cars blindfolded and then pick one, you might choose differently.

Having said that, it's not the same class of car simply b/c they both have 4 doors & are RWD. They really don't compete against each other. As you mentioned, I doubt anyone that is interested in a Hellcat would consider the Chevy SS, as subconsciously the SS just isn't boy racer enough for those people. So if you're all about an attention whorish neon sign of a car that every cop will stalk, every civic & minivan driver want to race and jealous people want to vandalize, the Hellcat is your car.
not to butt in but.....well, if I can afford it, I would take a GT500 over a Z28 six days/week. Only on track days I would take the Z. And I would take the GT500 on every Strip days. To me, the GT500, ZL1, 1LE is a better car to the Z, 6 days/week. What is a better car to a person depends what they intend to do with it and depends on their personal perception. I am waiting for the next gen camaro but dang, if someone offers me a Hellcat, I would say bye bye Camaro.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #37
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen6waiter View Post
not to butt in but.....well, if I can afford it, I would take a GT500 over a Z28 six days/week. Only on track days I would take the Z. And I would take the GT500 on every Strip days. To me, the GT500, ZL1, 1LE is a better car to the Z, 6 days/week. What is a better car to a person depends what they intend to do with it and depends on their personal perception. I am waiting for the next gen camaro but dang, if someone offers me a Hellcat, I would say bye bye Camaro.
I get the gist of what you're saying and for DD purposes or 1320, sure the GT500 would be a better choice, but that isn't what I was asking per se. I was saying does the fact that the Shelby has more hp make it a better car than the Z28, not which car do you prefer.

BTW, to suggest the better car is in the eye of the beholder is a ludicrous proposition b/c someone could then say, a Nissan Murano is a better car than a Viper b/c of the way they plan to use it.... and that's just ridiculous.

IMO, no serious car enthusiast could say the GT500 is a better car than a Z28. You'd be hard pressed to find a better car and twice the price of a Z28.

Interesting sidebar but let's not derail the thread. That means no one now makes this a Ford vs. Chevy thread. There are hundreds of those threads to choose from on C5.com and we all know the new GT350R is certainly an equal to the Z28 if not even better.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #38
96MrBass

Drives: GM
It seems as if the Z28 is overlooked as far as the 1/4 mile goes but it does have a respectful 1/4 time low 12's with only 505hp not shabby imo. Now that cars are running 11's with 600hp & 700hp anything in 12's is considered slow? ( And it wasn't even made for the strip )
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #39
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
I get the gist of what you're saying and for DD purposes or 1320, sure the GT500 would be a better choice, but that isn't what I was asking per se. I was saying does the fact that the Shelby has more hp make it a better car than the Z28, not which car do you prefer.

BTW, to suggest the better car is in the eye of the beholder is a ludicrous proposition b/c someone could then say, a Nissan Murano is a better car than a Viper b/c of the way they plan to use it.... and that's just ridiculous.

IMO, no serious car enthusiast could say the GT500 is a better car than a Z28. You'd be hard pressed to find a better car and twice the price of a Z28.

Interesting sidebar but let's not derail the thread. That means no one now makes this a Ford vs. Chevy thread. There are hundreds of those threads to choose from on C5.com and we all know the new GT350R is certainly an equal to the Z28 if not even better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BETTER as in what? I would be one who says that the 13/14 GT500 and 12/15 ZL1 are better cars than the Z/28, because they do everything well, not only go around turns fast at the track. I like most enjoy street performance, strip performance, and the feel of raw hp. Lets face it while printed lap times are fun the vast majority of us will never bring the car to a track, nevermind drive near the cars potential. We will however play on the street, take a trips to the dragstrip, and have fun overall with the car.

This is why the sales for the Z/28 have not been good, hell they even had to offer a 20% discount to move inventory. Do you really buy a car to simply satisfy that .0001% of the time that you would actually track the car? Especially at $75,000.00
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #40
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Agreed... Chevy SS is a joke. I thought it looked weak from day one. I know they are two different cars, but if they would have rebagged the G8 as a Chevy and made some cosmetic changes, I think GM would have had a winner. The Hellcat are awesome... way to many fan boys on here.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #41
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Having said that, it's not the same class of car simply b/c they both have 4 doors & are RWD. They really don't compete against each other.
Did you feel that way about the Pontiac G8 and GTO also or did you dismiss them like everyone else because they didn't scream boy racer?

The Chevy SS ($45,800) is $16,500 less than the Charger Hellcat ($62,300) with a completely different personality so you're right about them appealing to different customers.

As the original owner of a 04 GTO M6, I get it. For $9k more than a load Impala, the SS is a great value, blends into traffic and has serious kick when you mash the gas pedal. Good daily driver. If you can get one when Chevy gives the blow out discounts, they are a really good buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Agreed... Chevy SS is a joke. I thought it looked weak from day one. I know they are two different cars, but if they would have rebagged the G8 as a Chevy and made some cosmetic changes, I think GM would have had a winner. The Hellcat are awesome... way to many fan boys on here.
The Chevy SS is a rebadged/skinned Pontiac G8.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #42
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Something like the SS is on my radar as a next car. I have zero interest in track performance, just looking for a quality DD that has serious umph when I want it. [sadly the gas mileage could be a factor depending on my then life/work situation] The stealth qualities are just bonus. I'm sure I'm not alone. Hopefully they don't get rid of the SS as rumored, I can't afford a CTS-V which would be the next best thing GM makes along the lines of my interests. Maybe a Camaro SS if they reintroduce that 20%.

Just 6 months ago I thought the SS was a joke until I looked further into what it actual is/can do. It sounds like a lot of misinformed and biased opinion here. Notice how I gave my opinion without needing to bash another model or manufacturer. All of these cars are awesome, we just have personal needs and preferences. Arguing over sneaker and soft drink brands.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote