Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
What exactly burns the clutch on an m6?

This is my first manual car so sorry if this is a question I should already know the answer too.

My question, in more detail, is at what point does the clutch actually start to get "used up" or "burned"?

Is it when the clutch is depressed at all and you press the gas?

Or is it when you press the gas and the clutch is depressed into its "catch" range?

Basically if I'm just sitting with the car in first gear and the clutch all the way pressed in, and I give it gas, am I burning up the clutch? Or does it only start burning when I release it into the grabbing point?

When my motor blew their "master" level tech came out and put the car in first and started slowly revving the motor with clutch all the way in. In my head I was like, "UHHH YOURE BURNING MY CLUTCH?!" Or was he not because it wasnt at the catch point?

This is important to me because as I am unsure it changes how I downshift. As of now I think that any gas that's given if the clutch is pressed in anyway burns it. Thus to downshift I put the car in neutral and rev up to the needed rpms and then put it into a lower gear. So 3rd to second would go, clutch in, move to neutral, rev up ~2000 Rpms, quickly press in clutch and put into second to catch the rpm spike.

If however the clutch is not being burned when fully depressed I could just go like this, clutch in + rev up whatever rpms needed WHILE putting the car into 2nd.

Again sorry if I should know this but I feel like its not that obvious unless someone teaches you. Any solid answers are appreciated!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
to put it simple, think of the engine, clutch and transmission like a sandwich. When the clutch pedal all the way in... it like a sandwich thats not put together yet, the clutch is like the meat just there by itself. The only time it burns is when its slipping (from when it starts to grab til your completely let off the pedal). Sitting at a traffic light with the clutch all the way in won't cause any harm... there's a lot of different opinions as to rather you should sit in neutral with the foot off the clutch or in gear at a traffic light. I was always taught to keep my foot off the clutch as much as possible. Every time you push the clutch in or hold it in... your pushing on the throwout bearing... in theory, the more you push it on it, the faster its gonna wear out. Its a fairly cheap part, but why wear something out faster than needed? I've also had people argue that in traffic, its better to keep it in 1st at a stop in case you have to roll up quickly... I've never had any trouble getting into 1st quickly . I also think a lot of people who complain about their legs getting tired from driving in traffic are probably holding the clutch in. Most new car's aren't too bad IMO... most have a pretty light clutch, but go drive an old truck that you gotta practically have to stand on it to get the pedal to go in, You'll learn to stay off it!
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

So in other words with the clutch fully pressed there is no way to burn it? No matter how much gas you give it?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
So in other words with the clutch fully pressed there is no way to burn it? No matter how much gas you give it?

lol, to make my long story sound simple..... yes . The clutch is a similar material to your brake pads and works in a similar way. The flywheel is spinning freely at the same speed as your engine. When you let the pedal out and it starts to grab, the clutch is starting to rub up against the surface and once there's enough friction, it basically locks to it and off you go! When the clutch pedal is pushed in, its basically just sitting there by itself doing nothing and not getting harmed. When the clutch starts getting old and worn out, it doesn't grab as good and you'll hear people say "their clutch is slipping". Basically its just not locking up completely due to a lack of friction and the car will lose power. lol, I guess thats enough for the basics You can rev to 6K with the clutch pushed in and its not gonna hurt a thing.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
To a point. If the trans is in gear and you rev the engine and the car doesnt accelerate to the same point as the rpms went to the clutch is slipping and you are taking life off the clutch. Its a smell you will never forget.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
There is no way to burn your clutch if you have it pressed all the way in. Burning it happens when it's at that point where it's grabbing but not fully, combined with high rpm's. If you ever burn your clutch you'll know it because it will stink and the clutch will probably slip when engaged.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Ah thanks guys that clears a lot up for me. Now I can change my downshifting style to the much faster, safer, and more efficient version I stated.

And unfortunately I do know the smell haha the first night I got it I got stuck on a hill and gave it wayyy too much gas and didnt go anywhere. Smoke came out and I just rolled back into a parking spot turned off the car and let it cool off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
lol, to make my long story sound simple..... yes . The clutch is a similar material to your brake pads and works in a similar way. The flywheel is spinning freely at the same speed as your engine. When you let the pedal out and it starts to grab, the clutch is starting to rub up against the surface and once there's enough friction, it basically locks to it and off you go! When the clutch pedal is pushed in, its basically just sitting there by itself doing nothing and not getting harmed. When the clutch starts getting old and worn out, it doesn't grab as good and you'll hear people say "their clutch is slipping". Basically its just not locking up completely due to a lack of friction and the car will lose power. lol, I guess thats enough for the basics You can rev to 6K with the clutch pushed in and its not gonna hurt a thing.
Hahah thanks just wanted to be sure! Your explanation makes sense too, makes it a bit easier to understand.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
Hahah thanks just wanted to be sure! Your explanation makes sense too, makes it a bit easier to understand.

lol, I learned to drive stick on a tractor when I was 12-13... didn't drive it in a car for a few years later. It was one of those situations where a buddy throws you the keys and says go.... I'd never done it in a car before but knew the mechanicals of how it worked and managed to figure it out. I was used to the tractor where you just pop the clutch and go! Figured out that doesn't work in a car very quickly!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Yup, driving down the road, some jackass civic tailgating you, press the clutch all the way in, give it a screaming rev, no more jap crap tailgater
When I first started driving stick I had the same questions, Helmin has got it all right!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
I do know the smell haha the first night I got it I got stuck on a hill and gave it wayyy too much gas and didnt go anywhere. Smoke came out
That almost describes my 1st burnout 30 yrs ago. A 1976 Merc Capri w/4spd. I got caught at a light on a hill. It was my very first car and a manual to boot, and the guy behind me rolled up too close for comfort. I was doing my thing when I started rolling backwards. Was so afraid of backing into the car behind me that I gunned the little 4 cylinder and popped the clutch, smoke everywhere, my friend was laughing his ass off in the pax seat. Squealed and smoked the tires for quite a distance. It looked like the dragsters doing their burn out at the strip because I couldn't even see the guy behind me for quite some time afterwards. Never had a problem after that

Last edited by nancygrl; 02-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Inexperience driving in a manual will burn clutch real well.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
this will explain it best

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
nhra stocker

Drives: 69,10 camaro 71 chevelle

This is burning up a clutch!
1982 Siverado 4x4 454 Mud truck stock class 3.66 sec in 150' of mud
nhra stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
to put it simple, think of the engine, clutch and transmission like a sandwich. When the clutch pedal all the way in... it like a sandwich thats not put together yet, the clutch is like the meat just there by itself. ..........
Also, it will smell worse than any sh!t sandwhich you ever ate! Trust me, you'll know it when it burns.......
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote