Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
A different catch can question

First off, let me say I strongly believe in catch cans. I installed an RX at 240 miles--I was having too much fun driving my camaro to take the time to install it prior to that.

That being said, lately there are a lot of members making statements that would lead others believe a "good" catch can completely eliminate oil entering the intake manifold.

Personally, I'm a believer that it only (greatly) reduces the amount, and eventually other measures, like seafom, will need to be taken.

So my question is this: Do the developers of the catch cans honestly believe that a catch can will eliminate all oil vapor into the intake manifold? Or do they state that it only reduces the amount of oil entering the intake manifold?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
There is one easy way to test ANY catchcan to see how effective it works, and that is to pick up a clear glass inline fuel filter from your local autoparts store and plumb it between the can outlet and the intake manifold. Withing 50 miles of driving you will see how much pull-through oil ingestion your still getting.

The designs of the many cans on the market vary widely and testing in this way will show some of the nicest looking still allow 20-30-40% plus of the oil to still pass through while others will show little to none (Mike Norris, Elite, Saikou Micchi & RX showed the least of all we tested over the years).

You are correct, no can outside of spending thousands for a Alfa Laval type will stop 100% of the oil, and all cars have differnt consumption rates and should get better as the rings seat.

I can say the Saikou Micchi & The RX showed no or almost no oil pull through unless there was an excess blow-by issue so Seafoam would be a 50K mile service in my opinion.

Below are pictures of several cans cutaway or opened:

Due to forum rulles I cannot post the good or bad design features but PM if anyone wants details.

That said, ANY can (even the Home depot/lowes home air compressor little plastic units that only capture 20-30% of the oil)...OR a beer can with 2 fittings in that tests about the same as the empty ebay type units.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
You are correct, no can outside of spending thousands for a Alfa Laval type will stop 100% of the oil, and all cars have differnt consumption rates and should get better as the rings seat.
Thank you. I was curious, and figured if I got an answer in a public forum rather than ask via PM it might help others as well.