Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Pope Designs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
LS3 Bottom End

So have we heard of anyone breaking bottom ends yet? I am going to have around 650 RWHP and a very conservative tune and was wondering if I should ride on pins and needles or if I will be fine. I know parts always break but my question is in general. I skimmed through this section and do not seem to find any posts on tearing the bottom end out yet?

Bryan
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
With that HP, if you rev it too high and stay high, it won't last too long! The piston and the rings will not handle the heat.

I'd highly recommend adding meth to keep the temp down, and prevent knock. One small knock will blow that piston on #7!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Pope Designs

If the tune has the rev limiter turned down wouldn't that prevent me from rev too high? I think he will have it down around 6000 or so.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Z_Rocks

That's one thing for sure. Secondly the timing is critical with that much boost on stock bottom end.

With 650 rwhp, you better have money ready for an engine rebuild and all the costs associated with it or bring your expectation down (like what LPE or Magnoson recommend on stock bottom) and then have a long life. This car is designed to be a N/A car not a F/I. If you look at GT500, the engine is Iron block, forged bottom and low compression and from the factory, it's only 540 HP to cranks which is 460 whp. Now you want to go 200 more rwhp on none forged, hi compression and expect it to last long? Whoever is preaching to you, is trying to make some quick money out of you.
Sorry for being straight forward, but I hate to see your car seating broken!

p.s. One other thing, if there are members who are blowing their engine, this would be the last place to brag about it. So, if you don't hear, doesn't mean it's not happening (meaning blowing engine) :-)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Pope Designs

I have asked for it to be tuned way down very conservative 11 or 12 degrees max. I do not beat my car up either. If I get on it it's from a roll not a dig. I baby the crap out of my car. I am only running 7 pounds of boost. I have upgraded fuel system and entire top end as well. I would not expect to beat the shit out of my car and it last. I just want the balls under the hood for a time to time run. No tracks. So with that being said I think I will hold up fine.

Bryan
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Designs View Post
I have asked for it to be tuned way down very conservative 11 or 12 degrees max. I do not beat my car up either. If I get on it it's from a roll not a dig. I baby the crap out of my car. I am only running 7 pounds of boost. I have upgraded fuel system and entire top end as well. I would not expect to beat the shit out of my car and it last. I just want the balls under the hood for a time to time run. No tracks. So with that being said I think I will hold up fine.

Bryan
I feel better with your response now. Just keep the high RPM "duration" to it's lowest time possible, not like holding it 6500 for 30 seconds. :-)

Good luck and if you can, add a meth kit to it!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Designs View Post
If the tune has the rev limiter turned down wouldn't that prevent me from rev too high? I think he will have it down around 6000 or so.
There is one side effect to this that you should be aware of. When the rev limiter is lowered, it's easier to hit the rev limiter than before. The problem with hitting the rev limiter, is that, the computer cuts off fuel supply, which the car leans out, However, when the car is under boost and fuel is cut, it creates a massive heat that burns the piston and breaks the rings. A friend's car on dyno was blown when the operator hit the rev limiter at 9lb of boost and ring broke due to head and expansion and created a domino effect. So, lowering rev limiter is good, as long as you don't hit it.

I'll say it again. Add meth and save the engine! I've had it on both S/C and Turbo cars!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
I would like to add that with that tuning strategy, you might still want to look into a meth kit IF you want to seek more power. At that power level, you should be ok granted you take the added precautions that will ensure, if one system fails, you have a back up to hold it all together.

Still, I would round up some cash for a shortblock rebuild because, eventually, you will need it. It depends on how you drive it if it's sooner than later.
obzidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
There are a couple tuners out there running 10 psi on stock bottom ends.... That seems to be about the limit....

No one is brave enough to go higher as of yet.

And I agree with meth injection.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
Z Rocks you are absolutely right,I'll be pulling my broke "STOCK" shortblock out soon,Why because it made 600 whp on ten pounds of boost,and I beat the shit out of it,And I'm gonna continue to beat the shit out of after I install the new LSX Block with all forged internals,Hell I might even spring for the Oliver Rods, shooting for that grand benchmark,If you know what I mean,So guys ya better baby'um if you want'um to live...
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 2009 CG Z06
It all depends on how you drive, and how good the tune up is. Several are lasting at 700 rwhp plus, with good tunes and responsible drivers
Louis @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
z_rocks, i believe the rev limiter on this car is not a fuel cut off limiter, but just the throttle by wire not letting you rev anymore. I do not believe they are actually using fuel cutoff like they used to do.

I could be wrong, but thats what it felt like when i accidently hit it a couple of times.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnBLK View Post
Z Rocks you are absolutely right,I'll be pulling my broke "STOCK" shortblock out soon,Why because it made 600 whp on ten pounds of boost,and I beat the shit out of it,And I'm gonna continue to beat the shit out of after I install the new LSX Block with all forged internals,Hell I might even spring for the Oliver Rods, shooting for that grand benchmark,If you know what I mean,So guys ya better baby'um if you want'um to live...
Can you go into more details please..as I am planning on running 10lbs of boost
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Well said Bknblk thought of you as I read this post. 650 rwhp wont last long thats for sure.