Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
SS slotted rotors advise appreciated

Which manufacturers should I be looking at?

Suggested vendors would be appreciated as well.

I'm about to install SS Brembos on my 2LT. I'm trying to decide if I should use the stock SS rotors or upgrade the rotors as part of the install.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
With modern pad compounds, there is really no need to run slotted rotors or drilled either, unless you just want the racey look.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
intensifi

I was under the impression that the slotted rotors stopped better. They seem to on my '01 X5.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
RacingBrake has good quality from what I've heard, I believe some people on this forum have had good experience with them. (Rotors)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I was under the impression that the slotted rotors stopped better. They seem to on my '01 X5.
There is a lot of misinformation floating around about brakes. Heck, most people you ask think the brakes stop the car. They don't.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...401&highlight=

See post 21. Pete tracks his car HARD and has seen no need for slotted or drilled rotors. Save your money and put it towards something with a little bit more return for the investment.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Agreed ^^^ if its looks ur after then do it but not much advantage to it.
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
there is advantages in rotors that can dump
heat and are designed to take abuse and run cooler than other rotors.

racingbrake is the top of line stuff. gurantee my brakes run cooler than other leading brands. the veins and directional heat dissipation is a big reason racing brake 2 piece rotors run cooler and are now on their 10th track day with them.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post

racingbrake is the top of line stuff. gurantee my brakes run cooler than other leading brands. the veins and directional heat dissipation is a big reason racing brake 2 piece rotors run cooler and are now on their 10th track day with them.
X 1,000 racing brake rotors will be my next purchase. I didn't think rotors could make a huge difference till I rode in a car with them on a road course. These rotors matched with their brake pads are freaking rock stars!!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Stubbsy

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
I fitted a set from R1 Concepts they were about $500 USD from memory,they look great and my SS stops on a dime. I don't know why my photo is upside down, may be coz I'm from the land down under.
Attached Images

Stubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
RacingBrake has good quality from what I've heard, I believe some people on this forum have had good experience with them. (Rotors)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
X 1,000 racing brake rotors will be my next purchase. I didn't think rotors could make a huge difference till I rode in a car with them on a road course. These rotors matched with their brake pads are freaking rock stars!!!!
RacingBrake rotors are amazing. If you need "the best", then they are what you want to be looking at. But honestly, they are overkill for most people.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
intensifi

Thanks for the info so far!

It sounds like racing brake and R1 (slotted & drilled) are way out ahead of what I need for this car though.

I also appreciate the information that stock is sufficient. This is obviously worth consideration.

How about I add a few other desires?:

1) lighter weight
2) doesn't rust when washed
3) not made in china
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Which manufacturers should I be looking at?

Suggested vendors would be appreciated as well.

I'm about to install SS Brembos on my 2LT. I'm trying to decide if I should use the stock SS rotors or upgrade the rotors as part of the install.
What are your driving/performance goals? If you're planning on taking the car to the track, then RacingBrake rotors make a world of difference not only in fade-free stopping power because they run cooler under hard braking conditions, but also in just about every other area of performance because they're about 6 lbs lighter each than the stock rotors. Removing unsprung rotating weight (i.e. wheels, tires, brake rotors) is the most important and performance-improving weight to remove.

If you're not planning on going to the track then the stock SS brakes are more than good for the street.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
We have some really good prices on our Stillen Sport Rotors!

The are made in the USA and machined by us in house!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257770

PM or Call me directly with any questions.

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
OP, you have a budget in mind?
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote