Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #659
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post

Parts are starting to come in....... Other than the header studs, got the rest of my ARP bolts today.
Nathan, just a heads up........if you go with the Innovators West lower damper, you cant use the ARP bolt. You will have to use the bolt that is included with it. ASK me how I know..LOL
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #660
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
Nathan, just a heads up........if you go with the Innovators West lower damper, you cant use the ARP bolt. You will have to use the bolt that is included with it. ASK me how I know..LOL
EZ, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing, perhaps ........I'm not sure, with you.

OK, I guess this is a good lead in to dust off the phrase I've become to well acquainted with...........

"Seriously.......... are you freakin kidding me "

and air some of the trial and frustration and hopefully some folks will get something out of it. And maybe some os us wont feel so bad knowing they are not alone when we make mistakes. I'll start with the most recent..........

1. 90 degree heat shrink boots:
After shrinking one as a test and sending the picture to the vender (See picture below) I was told there' s a smaller one that would work better.

So I took their advice and paid $104 for 9 boots, OUCH! Those things are not cheap. I got them for $10.50 each. Some places want $23.00 per freaking boot! Well when I got them, I shrunk one and it was smaller but........... heck I'll just post a pic.

I told them I would send them back along with two injector connector so that they can suggest which one would work better. Naive me mailed the priority but without tracking. So now the package has mysteriously disappeared in the mail and I'm going to have to pay $100 for some little freakin heat shrink boots. Oh, and I still have to send them two more connector to get their advice on which would work best.

2. Alternator: as you know if you've been following this tread, our unit can't be pulled apart without undoing weld, etc... it's a PITA! Well, I called a place and they quoted me 1 hour at $80 to pull it apart, OUCH! I told them, let me think about it. I decide to go for it. Than I get a call back that they had underestimated and it would be 90 minutes or $120. Long story short.......I told them that I was struggling paying $80 which s what they quoted and I wasn't willing to pay more, they ended up honoring the original quote. Now in retrospect, I could have done as good a job by just taping and painting it completely assembled. So thats another $80 wasted. Worst part is that is now assemble and I'm thinking I'm going to repaint it because I'm struggling with the contrast in color with the intake. So I'm back to square one.

3. Fuel rails: First set of ARP bolts I purchase were the same diameter as the OEM. When I got the rails, they come with spacers, so the bolts were to short....

NOTE: if you order the rails, tell them you want the nuts at the end to be the flush ones, if not, you'll get these nuts that are bigger than the rails and look like crap.....ask me how I know, LOL

4. Water pump: First set of ARP bolts I purchase were the same diameter as the OEM. When I got the water pump, they come with spacers, so the bolts were to short....

WARNINGS!!!!!!!!

5. Rerouting the Positive terminal: Do not connect the ground wire to the same bolt for the ABS line. I REPEAT do not do this!

OK, when you relocate the positive battery cable to the wheel well, there's a ground wire in the engine bay that comes along with it which also needs to be re-routed to the wheel well. I can't remember were it was grounded before. I'd have to go back and look at pictures or out the the garage. Anyways, not a big deal to do.

Instead of drilling a new hole on the frame to connect the ground wire, I figure I could just ground the wire by using the same existing bolt that holds the clamp for the ABS. Well after reconnecting the battery to start the car for the first time, I went inside the house, I'm not sure how long I was gone but by the time I came out, the whole engine bay was up in smoke!!!!!!!! I yell at my brother to run out and disconnect the battery as I went for the extinguisher. Turned out that the ABS line had gotten so HOT that it was melting all the plastic it touches. My main harness was butting up against it, fortunately I had cover my main harness with the painless sleeving and than cover the painless with the Russell. It's still burned through both but there was enough protection were the wires were intact!

Now that I've removed the air box cover and heat shield, I see were there's a factory harness that runs down from the fuse box all the way back down the frame rail and behind the engine. I'm going to run the main harness along the same path which will will make it totally not visible and offer more protection!!!!!

I got a LOT more tip, frustrations, and learning experiences I'll share but I need a mental brake. I counting this post later.

OK, now all repeat after me.......... "Seriously.......... are you freakin kidding me "

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-23-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #661
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
So do you have a part number for shorter ones to use with the stock fuel rails, or does ARP not make them?

And here are my fuel rails polished - cost <$20 with the kit I bought from Harbor Tool - http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piec...kit-98707.html. For anyone uncertain about doing this, you can leave the injectors attached - but be sure to wrap and tape them in a sandwich bag or something so you don't plug them (also tape the inlet closed). Also try not to put a lot of downward pressure on them as you are polishing.
That came out NICE! I see a rainy day project in the near future. I have a Harbor Tools close by too.

I got some S/S button head socket bolts from Fastenal 15 mm works, and 20 mm will bottom out.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #662
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Nathan...wow! Just wow! After reading and re-reading your post about your wiring, I'm still not certain as to what happened.

Also, I wrote up a thread about the alternator pulley:
Alternator/Generator Pulleys
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #663
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Nathan...wow! Just wow! After reading and re-reading your post about your wiring, I'm still not certain as to what happened.

Also, I wrote up a thread about the alternator pulley:
Alternator/Generator Pulleys
572HP, thanks for the feed back. I reread it and saw were it could use some further clarification. I'm editing the post to make it clearer and I'm adding this pic to help elaborate.

See EZ's picture below. He just drill a hole onto the frame. Plus he removed 1 ounce off the front end by drilling, LOL.

My challange was that I ASS...UME I could just ground the cable by removing the bolt that holds the bracket down for the ABS. Little did I know it would heat up the ABS lines to the point the whole car would have gone up in smokes!

Let me know if that helps clarify a little better.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #664
Synner

Drives: cars
The easiest way to stop modding is just get married. I haven't had the time or money to finish any of my plans.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #665
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
The easiest way to stop modding is just get married. I haven't had the time or money to finish any of my plans.

LOL, That's a "LIFE" mod that I'm not looking to start on for a long time!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #666
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
572HP, thanks for the feed back. I reread it and saw were it could use some further clarification. I'm editing the post to make it clearer and I'm adding this pic to help elaborate.

See EZ's picture below. He just drill a hole onto the frame. Plus he removed 1 ounce off the front end by drilling, LOL.

My challange was that I ASS...UME I could just ground the cable by removing the bolt that holds the bracket down for the ABS. Little did I know it would heat up the ABS lines to the point the whole car would have gone up in smokes!

Let me know if that helps clarify a little better.
I still don't understand what is wrong with what you did, unless somehow the bolt didn't ground to the frame because it was painted, yet it was grounding across the brake line to the other end of it. I would also wonder why it would have heated up...I would have thought that a brake line would be able to carry a large amount of current. Just consider yourself lucky that you still have a car.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #667
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
just wait till you have kids
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #668
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
have to cut back on modding a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
just wait till you have kids
but back on modding a little bit more

Paying for kids to go to college: no more modding
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #669
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I still don't understand what is wrong with what you did, unless somehow the bolt didn't ground to the frame because it was painted, yet it was grounding across the brake line to the other end of it. I would also wonder why it would have heated up...I would have thought that a brake line would be able to carry a large amount of current. Just consider yourself lucky that you still have a car.
Yea, No kidding! I don't know either . Before reconnecting the battery, I PMed EZ a pic of how I grounded the wire so I could get his opinion just in case I was assuming something I shouldn't. He though it be OK also.

Little did I know................ that for the grace of God, I might had to rename this thread "How to extinguish your Engine Bay"

I post some pics of the Russell and Painless later along with some of the other crap that melted.

Once I realized the causative factor for all the smoke, I drilled a new hole and re-grounded the wire. Mind you, at this juncture, I still had not attempted to start the car. To add insult to injury, when I did turn the key ......... it wouldn't start. The whole day I spent worrying about what else could had gone wrong . That was the same day as my brother birth day. Had lots of friends over that night. Everybody was wondering why I was so :(. To say I didn't get much sleep that night would be an understatement. The next morning I went out and looked everything over again and notice I had not connected a plug. Once I reconnected it and attempted to start the car, it came to life. You could say I was relieved!

So you can say I've taken a few of these for the team.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #670
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
Subscribed.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #671
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Homepage.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #672
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Amen to that!!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote