Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
SOLOJM

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Aniversary Edition,
Corsa owners

I just installed the corsa 14952 automatic version and wanted to know how much room should be between the center pipe and tunnel brace? I believe a have a rattle come from center of car and looking at the brace there seems to be less than 1/8".
SOLOJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Did you install the spacers for the tunnel brace that come with the kit and also raise the center pipe (resonator) to touch the top of the car (per the instructions) when you tightened? If you did you should have close to an inch gap. You also need to ensure the center pipe is installed with the bottom down as the front of the pipe is slightly angled. To make sure you have this right, make sure the 2 little holes on the resonator are facing down. Having anyone of these wrong will lead to clearance issues.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
SOLOJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Did you install the spacers for the tunnel brace that come with the kit and also raise the center pipe (resonator) to touch the top of the car (per the instructions) when you tightened? If you did you should have close to an inch gap. You also need to ensure the center pipe is installed with the bottom down as the front of the pipe is slightly angled. To make sure you have this right, make sure the 2 little holes on the resonator are facing down. Having anyone of these wrong will lead to clearance issues.
I had a local corsa dealer install it so not sure about pipe wholes. The spacers are on I will be taking back tommorw because I cannot see any gap between the two.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Yea I had the same issue. Even with the spacers provided. I'm currently not even running the brace.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
KICKER

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
Yep. Took the brace off. Clickety-Clack went away!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
2PitbullSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS & 2003 Z71 w/6" lift
Simple fix...with the car on jackstands, loosen the clamps on the x pipe/resonator. Then take a jack and carefully lift the xpipe all the way up into the tunnel. Retighten the clamps at this point and then release the pressure on the jack which will allow the xpipe to sag just enough to not touch the tunnel, but not enough to hit the tunnel brace. I started out with the same issue, had it fixed in under an hour. For me, the tunnel brace is there for a reason, so i did what i had to do to keep it there.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
My 2 cent advice to anyone thinking about the corsa 14952 catback on an L99 is to. Research and read about the increased AFM noises on the L99 after an exhaust upgrade. Then seriously think about tuning your car. Then just get the 14951 Corsa system without the resonator. The resonator does not hide AFM noises. If you look down inside the resonator you will see 4 cutouts in the rear of the 2.5" tubes that opens it up to the larger 4" diameter of the resonator. I guess this is suppose to muffle the AFM noises. From experience, is does not work. As far as the tunnel brace is concerned. Myself I would not permanently remove the tunnel brace.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
SOLOJM

It was the tunnel brace the shop that installed it corrected the issue. He showed me the issue under the car and stated he had seen it with many 14952's. My car has been tuned recently my JRE I guess I could of gone with the 14951 but its good now so on to the next project.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOJM View Post
It was the tunnel brace the shop that installed it corrected the issue. He showed me the issue under the car and stated he had seen it with many 14952's. My car has been tuned recently my JRE I guess I could of gone with the 14951 but its good now so on to the next project.
What did he do to fix it?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
My 2 cent advice to anyone thinking about the corsa 14952 catback on an L99 is to. Research and read about the increased AFM noises on the L99 after an exhaust upgrade. Then seriously think about tuning your car. Then just get the 14951 Corsa system without the resonator. The resonator does not hide AFM noises. If you look down inside the resonator you will see 4 cutouts in the rear of the 2.5" tubes that opens it up to the larger 4" diameter of the resonator. I guess this is suppose to muffle the AFM noises. From experience, is does not work. As far as the tunnel brace is concerned. Myself I would not permanently remove the tunnel brace.
I find it hard to believe that stamped steel piece is really helping that much. Worse comes to worse ill grab the BMR piece.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=513
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
its there for side impact crash structure i wouldnt not run it either im running three inch all the way back with no issue
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
keep the brace loosen the bolts and put a 2x4 between the resanator and brace and retighten. after all is tight take 2x4 out and there will b a perfect gap.
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKER View Post
Yep. Took the brace off. Clickety-Clack went away!
Good because that clickety-clack can cause the knock sensors to falsely detect knock and pull timing. You definitely don't want the pipes to rattle like that.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
SOLOJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
What did he do to fix it?

The front clamp near both cats was a little loose causing the middle pipe to sag and hit the tunnel brace. The tighten everything to corsa specs so far so good for 3 days.