Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Texas/DFW area questions

Hello! I am in the process of moving to the area! Have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer

How strict is the front plate law? We'll put em on our daily drivers, but hope we won't have to deal with it on vettes, solstice, camaro?

Is there any car inspection for bringing a car into Texas before you can register and get plates? If there is are there problems with older cars (1971, etc.)?

Any advice from locals on a better place to live...Southlake/Colleyville/Keller? My husband will be at the GM Arlington Assembly plant, but is used to a commute...He commutes from downtown Toronto to Oshawa now (about 40 miles one way).

Anything else you think I may need to know! Have never lived anywhere south of Ohio! And I am thrilled to avoid the crazy winters we've had in Canada!!

Thanks in Advance for any information

Heather
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
jstein

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Not too sure about the front plates yet myself I've gone about a week driving through city and highway successfully in Houston. There are plenty of nice cars around that have no plates on the front. The dealership I went to never puts the front plates on their vettes or camaros just because it looks better without. One word of advice, it will be HOT and snows once every 10 years I think, so welcome to Texas!
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Having carried a local badge in a major city in Texas for many years the license plate is a tool for PROBABLE CAUSE. It is a law but the chance of an upstanding citizen getting a ticket is almost impossible. If you leave a local drug house and do everything just perfect but have no plate. Well poof the officer has his PC to stop you.

Texas has an inspection law for all vehicles 10 years old and newer. You will indeed have to have the vehicle inspected at a local shop then go to the County Registration office with the inspection receipt. I would call Texas DPS but if the vehicle is an Antique there is no inspetion and the registration is good in 3 years increments. I do not know the exact year in age to qualify for that status.

If you guys have kids then Southlake/Colleyville is one of the states absolute best districts with many State Football championships too. The catch is it is probably the most expensive school district to live in, in the entire state (certainly in the DFW). Keller is a fast growing middle income, middle class very diverse community. Unless you are seeking exclusivity that accompanies high income living standards then Keller is without a doubt the best place to be and still be a short commute to the GM Plant.

You could find NICE brand new housing from $150,000-$250,000 all over Keller. The commercial develop is finally catching up to the residential development in Keller. Right now would be the perfect time to be moving into the area.

Hope that helps.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
I haven't been pulled over yet and it's been about a month and a half. Mine is a daily driver.

As far as location Keller is an AWESOME place to live. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL4838632.html

I commute to Irving every day. I would guess a commute from Keller to Arlington would be 45 minutes or so depending on what time of the day he leaves.

Also, Southlake is a great place to live, but VERY expensive as far as living costs (gas prices/rent/home prices/stores). It is the most centrally located town in DFW though.

Colleyville is probably the best location for his commute, but even though I've never lived in Colleyville I think Keller is a better place to live.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
Be sure to join the DFW social group and make some of our meetups!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Just don't let your kids attend school in Dallas (DISD), They will become retards . The stanards are so low and you can't be failed , that my dog could pass and graduate from any DISD school.as long as you're in the Southlake/Colleyville/Keller school districts, you will be fine.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
How strict is the front plate law? We'll put em on our daily drivers, but hope we won't have to deal with it on vettes, solstice, camaro?
Not very strict, but don't be all surprised if you do get a ticket. I've been stopped a few times over the years for it, but many people will go years without a problem.

Quote:
Is there any car inspection for bringing a car into Texas before you can register and get plates? If there is are there problems with older cars (1971, etc.)?
Yes there is. You need to the get the vehicle inspected and receive a "green sheet" from the inspector, which you then show during registration.

Quote:
Any advice from locals on a better place to live...Southlake/Colleyville/Keller? My husband will be at the GM Arlington Assembly plant, but is used to a commute...He commutes from downtown Toronto to Oshawa now (about 40 miles one way).
Southlake and Colleyville are astronomically expensive. If you can afford it, they're great places to live with some of the best schools in the country, but you'll pay much more in those towns for the same house you could get somewhere else (such as Keller) much cheaper. You could live in Arlington, or Grand Prairie, where you can get a huge house w/ 3-car garage for very little, but the schools are mediocre and it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. Just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
Keller is a great place to live....I commute to Irving from Keller as well.............

2010 RJT 2SS/RS L99 CAMARO
ARH 1 7/8" LT HEADERS W/ HF CATS
MAGNAFLOW 3" COMP EXHAUST
ADM PERFORMANCE CAI
ADM PERFORMANCE CUSTOM TUNE
ADM PERFORMANCE PORTED THROTTLE BODY
ADM PERFORMANCE TRANS COOLER
3.45 GEARS
BMR TRAILING ARMS
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
HeatherR

Thank you all so much! I reaaly do appreciate all the information. We will be in Texas to look for and buy a house in September, but it is hard to get the feel of an area just using the internet and a realtor! Keller does look very nice and the housing is a bit more "spread out" which is a good thing...we've also found a couple houses with 4 car garages which would be ideal. No kids yet, but we like to buy in a good school district because of resale (we usually move around)! The three areas were recommended.

Also, thanks for the feedback on front plates...we'll chance it and take the ticket if it comes to that. We were concerned they would need to be in place for an inspection...and we're not drilling into the fronts of the vettes or solstice just to put a plate on knowing we'll only be in Texas for a few years.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
mmollo
Admitted Caroholic

Drives: IOM/IO 2SS/RS GFX Order#NMCX8R
Heather,
Keller would be the most affordable of the three. If you don't have a realtor yet let me know. I am a realtor and work around that general area. I also will be putting my personal house on the market this week. My house is a 4,300 sq.ft. one story with pool and I have an oversized FOUR car garage with 1,700 sq.ft. guest quarters above. Let me know your price range and I can email you some current inventory, if you don't already have a realtor. (sorry everyone for the shameless plug)
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
llevan22

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Keller is an awesome place to live. I lived there for seven years and it really is a great place to be. I graduated from Central High and from what I hear about other high schools, it's a great school to be at.
llevan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
I would call Texas DPS but if the vehicle is an Antique there is no inspetion and the registration is good in 3 years increments. I do not know the exact year in age to qualify for that status.

The Age is 25 years, it does not automatically get antique status, you have to get it designated that with the county. This gets you the three year inspection option, but the driving is limited to shows and parades. There is no emissions inspection. Of course you can chance it and always be on your way to a show or parade. Harder to explain at 8:00 on a Monday morning.

The best thing is to get Classic status, you have no emissions inpsection, the safety inspection cost every year is about 15 dollars, and you can drive whenever you want.
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop 2010 View Post
The Age is 25 years, it does not automatically get antique status, you have to get it designated that with the county. This gets you the three year inspection option, but the driving is limited to shows and parades. There is no emissions inspection. Of course you can chance it and always be on your way to a show or parade. Harder to explain at 8:00 on a Monday morning.

The best thing is to get Classic status, you have no emissions inpsection, the safety inspection cost every year is about 15 dollars, and you can drive whenever you want.
Thanks for chimming in.

NOTE TO SELF....."CLASSIC" never "ANTIQUE" -

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
HeatherR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop 2010 View Post

Thank you very much!