Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I drove it tonight.

Ok, well, I stopped by the dealer and they let me test drive their dealer car.

Here's my review.

1. Exterior.

Wow, pictures do not do this car justice. It was parked (back to back) next to a Red Jewel Tintcoat 2009 Corvette...and it stole the show. I said to my wife, "Chevy needs to do something about the Vette, it's little brother is DEFINITELY showing it up!" (She agreed). I have previously seen a SIM and the Bumblebee Concept (first movie) in person. I know people say that SIM shows off the lines the best, but VR just looked better IMO.

This car was a Victory Red 1LT/RS. Sure, it's "just" the V6, and it's not even a fully loaded one, but I will never look down at it again. You've all seen the outside of the car so I won't go on and on about it. The RS package makes the car though. The large 20" rims with the Midnight Silver finish and the HID lights with the Halo rings around them. Awesome. The darker taillights...I didn't think it was a big deal when I saw how similar they were to the standard...but seeing them in person, they give the taillights more depth (almost an "afterburner" effect.)

2. Interior:

I'll be honest, every picture of the interior I see, I dislike it. It almost looks like a cartoon. The interior was the biggest gripe I had...until tonight. The fit and finish of the interior is amazing. (Again, pictures do NOTHING for it!). It was set up with the Convenience & Connectivity Package so it had the USB port, Bluetooth, etc. This car did not have the 4-pack gauges (just something else for me to look forward to when I get mine!) nor did it have the Ambient Lighting. The stereo/DIC (Driver Information Center) is pretty slick as the turn-by-turn doesn't need a hokey screen, the directions pop up between the main gauges. My wife sat in the backseat and she said that it was "less-than-roomy." (She couldn't sit straight, she had to position her legs towards the middle of the car but she did say that kids would certainly be fine sitting back there). The trunk is HUGE! I was really surprised at how large the trunk was...but the opening is tiny!

3. The Sound

At startup...it was as quiet as a mouse. (Really disappointing considering it's looks). I hope the V8 is a lot different. I want to know that there's a rumbling powerhouse under the hood when I start her up.

4. The Drive.

Remember that lack of sound I was talking about? Well, that goes away the minute you hit the gas. It's not a throaty-V8 sound though. It was definitely familiar though....OH YEAH! It sounded like my Z! The ride was fantastic...very smooth for a "pony-car." The car turned and handled...believe it or not...very much like my Z (although you could tell it was a tad heavier). For a V6 model pony car...the pickup blew me away. No, it wasn't as "throw you back in the seat" as the Z...but it still packed a decent punch off of the line. I didn't go too hard in it because it was raining pretty bad (but still had people rolling down the windows and giving me a thumbs-up). I had it going 90 on the highway but only for a short time and that is the only time I could tell that I was in the 6-er. From 80-90 it didn't really have much punch (still enough for the everyday driver to make a decent pass, but nothing neck-breaking).

5. The View:

Ok, I've heard the gripes about the "view" and I finally got to experience it for myself. I may be different because I'm coming from an Avalanche...but the car is very claustrophobic at first. The rear window is hard to see out of, the blind spots are huge, and the windshield was short. After driving it around, I did get adjusted to it and when I returned the car it wasn't as bad as when I first sat in it. Something that I haven't read anybody mention...is the view out of the side mirrors. (These mirrors will be used a LOT!). The beautiful hips on this car seem larger than life when looking at their reflection in the mirror...it gives you the sense that your hind-quarters are up in the air )

I hated to give those keys back...but I know something better is on its way!

Rock on Camaro Faithful...the wait is coming to an end (and has for some already!)

Sorry I couldn't get you more pictures but it was raining pretty bad.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
bad2000z

Drives: 2015 Audi S6
Cool!
bad2000z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very nice review! It really is a ton better in person!

My only concern for you is the exhaust at idle. The V8 really purrs quite quietly at idle. Of course when you get on it you'll feel it in your chest, but it doesn't have the awe inspiring presence when its not under throttle.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
nice write-up
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
BL202
Seek and Destroy ricers

Drives: 2010 1ss, A6, IBM, RS pkg
Very nice review. thanks
BL202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Very nice review! It really is a ton better in person!

My only concern for you is the exhaust at idle. The V8 really purrs quite quietly at idle. Of course when you get on it you'll feel it in your chest, but it doesn't have the awe inspiring presence when its not under throttle.

i prefer a low rumble or burble at idle but i think teh Catbacks or aftermarkets will fix that
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Looks like it sits to high, just needs some off road tires and are good to go.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207

Drives: 95 S10
Good honest write up.

Thanks
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Nice report. Aye on a car like this with the spot the side mirrors are critical. They should be adjusted so that you can just see the body and the rest is road.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Camarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Nice report. Aye on a car like this with the spot the side mirrors are critical. They should be adjusted so that you can just see the body and the rest is road.
they adjust well like any other car but the haunches are wide you need to line up the side of the haunches with the part of the mirror closer to the car
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
wow, a test drive. I wish for one.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
they adjust well like any other car but the haunches are wide you need to line up the side of the haunches with the part of the mirror closer to the car
Yeah, this car has a big booty hehe.

Another issue with the interior I have...

When driving, the steering wheel blocks the view of the speedometer. (I didn't really play around with the telescoping and I didn't adjust it, but it seemed like it would get in the way no matter what). No matter though, you can have the digital speedometer in the center and it alleviates the problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Camarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Yeah, this car has a big booty hehe.

Another issue with the interior I have...

When driving, the steering wheel blocks the view of the speedometer. (I didn't really play around with the telescoping and I didn't adjust it, but it seemed like it would get in the way no matter what). No matter though, you can have the digital speedometer in the center and it alleviates the problem.
lol well i did not have that problem i mostly drive at 12 or 9 o'clock (with my left hand even though i'm righty lol) anyway lol
but my father sat in it and taht as teh first thing he said
i prefer the steering wheel be up all the way to line up with dash anyway

lol but the only "problem" (if you can call it that) i had was i kept looking down at the right to see the speedo only to remember it was on the other side lol but like you said teh digital works too
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post

i prefer a low rumble or burble at idle but i think teh Catbacks or aftermarkets will fix that
Yep, nothing a good Corsa setup can't fix...in due time and for (hopefully not too high) a price.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote