Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
doctorwill

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss, 2015 Z06,
Thanks for the input... taking her to another Chevy dealer...
doctorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Whats the dealer that told you this was normal? might keep others from going to such a menyong place
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Almost $3000 just for lights? That in itself doesn't sound normal.
I had cracked front plastics and my dealer changened them under warranty, they said it costed 2, 900.00$ for the parts CDN. I did'nt check but that what they said.

Name:  halo01.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  halo2.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  halo3.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwill View Post
Hi...

I just.noticed condensation in one of my front headlights...my Chevy dealer said that it happens to all Camaro....Is this true? I'm worried that it night burn out my light...any input is appreciated....

Will

Please let us know what the other dealers says about this for you. We are here if you have any further questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Mezzmo

Drives: 2012 45th RS
That is definitely not normal. I had the same issue with mine. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. I think the total was almost $1300. Almost a grand just for the headlight assembly. If it's still under warranty make them replace it.
Mezzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
http://youtu.be/gS1RIyR6uW8
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I have it on my passenger side.
I have no warranty on these. I added the stock halos after purchase.
Any suggestion for quick fixes?
1BLWN/LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I had that problem on my '11, when I first bought the vehicle. It wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but it went away with the headlights on. It came back during a heavy rain, just once, but again went away with the lights on.

My '13 doesn't have that problem and honestly, moisture isn't supposed to be there. Here in VA it can fail safety inspection if condensation is inside the headlight lens.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM30G View Post
Brandon, Tomorrow i'm picking up my car from a dealer (Cadillac/GMC) that quoted me over the phone a TSB that says this is normal. My ZL1 is a 2013 with 4k miles on it and, it is doing this when the weather is damp or the car gets washed. Now i know this isn't right and i have *two* dealers tell me it is...
Obviously i'm going to have this dealer give me a copy of this TSB so i will have the reference but, i'm not real happy...It's under warranty.
If anyone in the Indianapolis area has had this issue and, would like to refer me to another dealer, i would be very gratefull.
After having a friend (in the Chicago area) have all four of his brake calipers replaced due to "Paint discoloration" issues-NO PROBLEM...and, he track races his ZL1 HARD.
Why do dealers do this?
The Mercedes Benz i just sold didn't do this and, had a boatload of miles on it.
Very frustrating for sure.
LGM30G,

I can understand how a concern deemed normal by several dealerships would cause some worry. While I'm unable to discuss TSBs, we do rely on our dealers to be our eyes and ears in the field for diagnostics and technical expertise.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #24
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
OP, is your car still under warranty? If it is, then it's "normal" to them.
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
Spektrum

# 01-08-42-001I: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (Jan 10, 2012)
Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines Models: 2013 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks This bulletin is being revised to update the model years to 2013. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001H (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.
Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.
Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.
Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.
Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.
Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
^ May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface. ^ The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON. ^ A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance. If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.
Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment
^ A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens. ^ An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly. ^ A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON. ^ A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance. Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #26
Spektrum

I copied and pasted that from AllData, it was the only TSB I personally found for a 2013 Camaro for headlight condensation.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #27
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3195
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #28
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM30G View Post
Attachment 628493

Attachment 628494

And, this is how the car came back through 45 miles of rain today from the *second* dealer who said "This is normal."

Obviously the leak is in/around the turn signal area and, is entering the inside edges of each headlight.

This dealer lists TSB#01-08-42-0013 as their reference for this issue. I have some homework too do.

Once again, if anyone in the Indianapolis area has found a dealer that will work with them on this please feel free to post or PM me your ideas.

Because if this turns into beating a dead horse...Then it's real simple.
The end result will be me taking the headlight housings out, baking them in my shops oven to soften the epoxy seal...Then cleaning and, resealing with a GOOD quality Aerospace epoxy.

The *Rocket Scientist* moniker on my avatar is not a joke...I have over 20 years experience in composite construction...and, this is not "Normal".

Thank-you in advance for any positive advice anyone can provide.

Gus.
This is 100 percent not normal and I will Tell you that I'm pretty certain that your problem is not the headlamp it self, If you replace the cap to the parking light in the back of the headlamp it may solve your problem. A lot of times that seal around the cap is broken and it allows moisture to get in and that definitely looks like what's going on in your situation being that you have no actual water and just small amounts of condensation. Now this is the smaller of the 2 caps in the back not the main one Where the hid is.. the part is around forty bucks and can be ordered at any Chevy dealership. I would definitely try this, I'm confident this will take care of your problem. If the moisture was in your headlamp the same fix would apply to that cap, that cap is only 12 bucks.. these seals break all the time and cause this problem.
Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
1BLWN/LE is offline   Reply With Quote