Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Can any of you guys recommend a good spray wax or...

would you guys advise against it. Here is the scoop. My car is a garage queen. It has never seen rain and gets washed a few times during the summer. As of now I have been using Meguiars products. I use there liquid wax and quick detailer between washes. I have also been using their car wash soap. The problem is everytime I wash the car it is as if all the wax is stripped right back off. Is there some type of spray wax I can use between a full wax job that is good? I know I have heard about these Adams products, but is their something I can pick up at my local autozone that is just as good?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
A spray wax type product isn't going to give you much added protection. First thing to address is why your car is being stripped after each wash... what specific car wash soap are you using? what specific wax are you using?

Even the weakest of Meg's waxes should last you more than 1 wash cycle so the easier solution might be to address your soap selection and/or wash process to preserve your wax longer.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
I use Turtle Wax's Ice and the spray bottle actually says for use in between waxing.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
A spray wax type product isn't going to give you much added protection. First thing to address is why your car is being stripped after each wash... what car wash soap are you using?

Even the weakest of Meg's waxes should last you more than 1 wash cycle so the easier solution might be to address your soap selection and/or wash process to preserve your wax longer.
I just did my last wax with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (Pure Synthetic Polymer). That what is says on the bottle. As for the soap, I bought Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. I picked this up to avoid what some of the other soaps seem to do. After washing last night I took my quick detaler to get rid of a few water spots and the micro fiber does not glide across the paint like it was waxed anymore.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
I use Turtle Wax's Ice and the spray bottle actually says for use in between waxing.
I have the Turtle Wax Ice synthetic detailer. Is that what you mean?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I have the Turtle Wax Ice synthetic detailer. Is that what you mean?
Yeah,I think so.I haven't bought any in a while but it works pretty good for me especially on water spots.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
Yeah,I think so.I haven't bought any in a while but it works pretty good for me especially on water spots.
I originally bought the turtle wax ice for the stripes... kind of oily, but works great on them. I then picked up this stuff. I will have to give it a try again. I switched back to my Meguires quick detailer and have not used it ina while.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
I just did my last wax with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (Pure Synthetic Polymer). That what is says on the bottle. As for the soap, I bought Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. I picked this up to avoid what some of the other soaps seem to do. After washing last night I took my quick detaler to get rid of a few water spots and the micro fiber does not glide across the paint like it was waxed anymore.
As far as an OTC product thats not a bad wax... and you should definitely be seeing longer life out of it.

I'm not terribly familiar with their wash n' wax (paging Todd Helme... Todd Helme please report to the detailing section) but my first suggestion would be to change soaps.

Not saying you have to go with ours, but as an example you want a pH neutral car wash soap to avoid stripping your wax. Not saying thats necessarily what the stuff you're using is doing, but its either that or its depositing something on the finish thats giving you a 'tacky' surface (not allowing the towel to glide). I've never been a fan of wash n' wax type products... its a jack of all trades, master of none category... you usually get so-so cleaning and lubrication and a very weak coating of "wax" so its just not worth the effort it saves.

SIDE NOTE - can't tell from your pics, but if you have matte stripes you want to avoid wash n' wax products as they can deposit things onto the surface that lead to strip staining and blotchiness.

Another thing to consider - what were your prep steps prior to waxing?

Did you clay? Polish? Any surface prep other than washing?

An LSP is only going to be as good as the prep done prior to its application - so without good prep you're going to get mediocre results and performance.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
As far as an OTC product thats not a bad wax... and you should definitely be seeing longer life out of it.

I'm not terribly familiar with their wash n' wax (paging Todd Helme... Todd Helme please report to the detailing section) but my first suggestion would be to change soaps.

Not saying you have to go with ours, but as an example you want a pH neutral car wash soap to avoid stripping your wax. Not saying thats necessarily what the stuff you're using is doing, but its either that or its depositing something on the finish thats giving you a 'tacky' surface (not allowing the towel to glide). I've never been a fan of wash n' wax type products... its a jack of all trades, master of none category... you usually get so-so cleaning and lubrication and a very weak coating of "wax" so its just not worth the effort it saves.

SIDE NOTE - can't tell from your pics, but if you have matte stripes you want to avoid wash n' wax products as they can deposit things onto the surface that lead to strip staining and blotchiness.

Another thing to consider - what were your prep steps prior to waxing?

Did you clay? Polish? Any surface prep other than washing?

An LSP is only going to be as good as the prep done prior to its application - so without good prep you're going to get mediocre results and performance.
I did not do any prep work. Would you recommend using a clay bar? Car is 3 years old, but only has 6000 miles. It is always garaged. As for polish... do I need to use my wheel or should I do it by hand. I do have a Meguiars polish/paint cleaner... is that what you mean?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Wash and wax from Meg's is terrible. That is what is happening. It has happened to me when I tried using it with Nxt 2.0. Every time I have used it, it has left a film on a car that makes it seem like there is no protection left. I highly suggest you switch to meguiars gold class or zymol OTC soap. Then report back with your results.

Also, yes, you need to clay your car. Even a new car should be clayed due to rail dust and road grime from transportation.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
I did not do any prep work. Would you recommend using a clay bar? Car is 3 years old, but only has 6000 miles. It is always garaged. As for polish... do I need to use my wheel or should I do it by hand. I do have a Meguiars polish/paint cleaner... is that what you mean?
great feedback from Iomcamaro there.

Fresh off the lot a car needs to be clayed... during transport alone its subjected to all manner of stuff so decontaminating the paint completely with clay is always a great idea. Given that your car doesnt' see much exposure you won't have to do it many more times after that.

A quick polishing, even by hand, is a nice way to prep the paint after claying. Obviously its not going to impart major changes by hand, but it does improve the look/gloss of the paint before waxing.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Wash and wax from Meg's is terrible. That is what is happening. It has happened to me when I tried using it with Nxt 2.0. Every time I have used it, it has left a film on a car that makes it seem like there is no protection left. I highly suggest you switch to meguiars gold class or zymol OTC soap. Then report back with your results.
Done... I will take your advice.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
+1
The meguiar's Wash and Wax soap is a strange little product. It does leave a residue, and this makes water sheet off your paint rather than bead up. I don't think it is stripping your wax or sealant off, but it can make it look like it is.

I use it on our boat some times but I'm kind of on the fence about how well it works even on fiberglass.

Meguiar's Gold Class is a top notch wash soap that you can get just about anywhere. If you want to boost your water beading, spray some Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on the wet car before you do your drying. It'll work as a drying aide and it does offer some protection. The original quick detailer you have does not offer the same qualities. It's good for using a clay bar, but thats about it.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
To the OP, if you want a great set of spray waxes that works very well for your garage Queen then take a look at these fine products from the Autopia Car Care Store:

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax

Meguiars D-157 X-Press Liquid Wax

and

Poorboy’s World Quick Wax Plus QD+

I use them all and they work awesome on car's that the owner's are lovers of Caranuba on their finishes.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote