Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
biigtee400

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS M6
procharger or agp twin turbo

Built 416 low compression heads cam with meth injection 6 speed 4.11 gears. The price of each kit is $8000. Install is more on turbos, I know all the pros and cons of each. I would just like to hear what other pple have experienced. either agp kit with upgraded turbos or stage II procharger kit with f1a blowers. Thanks for the help
biigtee400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
At how much WHP would you like the comparison? I think the 4.11's are gonna have to go cause you may as well crank this car up to 1000+whp and those grears will make that a joke.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Belt issues suck, simple as that. Just for reliability alone I would do a turbo if that is an option.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
My AGP kit will be done this week, I can fill you in then. lol

I went with TT's mainly because everybody has a supercharger, AGP made me an offer I could not refuse and I have always wanted to know what it would be like to have a turbo'd muscle car! In the end my HP goals are made more easy with turbos.

See my plan was to go as far as I could go without forging my internals. Then, after a while, I would forge them and everything I needed would already be in place for me to just turn up the boost to make more power. I like the idea of just pressing a button after I built my bottom end and get say another few hundred WHP.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Procharger no belt issues if done right. Turbos extreme heat and bearing failures and oil breakdown just don't do it for me.
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Agp kit all day...
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2fst View Post
Procharger no belt issues if done right. Turbos extreme heat and bearing failures and oil breakdown just don't do it for me.
I have heard way more about belt slip issues from superchargers than I have bearing failures and oil breakdown issues from turbos, maybe I am reading the wrong threads....honestly I cannot recall the last time I read a thread regarding the issues you just spoke of.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Mostly any response you get will tell you what they have is the better solution, and tell you the other is no good for this or that reason. LOL. Both are awesome! Both will make great power set up correctly (that's a given) and will deliver that power slightly different through the RPM range and load (speaking about turbos). Maintenance will be less with twins (no belt, tensioner or oil system). TT install more. Procharger for bling.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Both Kits can get you to a HP goal and both can be reliable.

It's a matter of preference. You need to list out the pros and cons and decide what is important to you.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
I have heard way more about belt slip issues from superchargers than I have bearing failures and oil breakdown issues from turbos, maybe I am reading the wrong threads....honestly I cannot recall the last time I read a thread regarding the issues you just spoke of.
Go to ls1tech.com it is alist of turbo failures a orange hot turbo with your motor oil in it. How long till oil breaks down. 700 hp and 544 rwhp and 140 k miles and one belt it was my fault.

When it comes to fi I have tried everything except Procharger at first. I knew their problems on the old systems from Procharger. Never had issues since. (Except for my own fault)
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
BadAquaBluSS
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS/RS, Red 85 Z28
Just went AGP this week

I went AGP this week, I heard about the parasites or leeches or something like that in the superchargers belt system, LOL Turbos are driven off wasted exhaust = more power to the wheels.
AGP Twin Turbo, RPS Triple Carbon Clutch, ZL1 Diff with 3.73 gears and Kooks 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust with X Crossover, Kooks Stainless Steel Mufflers, Go Fast Bits EBC, AEM Methanol injection and AEM gauges UEGO and Fuel pressure, Livernois's dual fuel pump, KB Boost a Pump, AUS 1000cc injectors, Full BMR suspension with Koni shocks, JDP Color Changing Halos, Color Changing Scanner Light Bar and Rockford Fosgate T Series Amp's Kicker L7 Sub's.

Build Thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400372
BadAquaBluSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2fst View Post
Go to ls1tech.com it is alist of turbo failures a orange hot turbo with your motor oil in it. How long till oil breaks down. 700 hp and 544 rwhp and 140 k miles and one belt it was my fault.

When it comes to fi I have tried everything except Procharger at first. I knew their problems on the old systems from Procharger. Never had issues since. (Except for my own fault)
No need to look at any other forum... we have plenty of great reference material here.... whether it refers to a blower car, or a turbo car.. and we have some of the best vendors around in a multitude of disciplines...

I have to ask... how many of those failures are due to poorly designed kits... or poor maintenance.... Those same turbo systems are used in myriad race cars by lots of race teams.... Many factory cars come equipped with turbos... Most of them dont suffer failures if... IF... proper maintenance procedures and intervals are followed... You cant translate an oil change interval for a stock vehicle to a high horsepower vehicle and expect good results...

Ive had people tell me they follow the OEM oil change routine since "modern synthetic oils" are that good.... or they use crappy "virgin" oil due to the cost factor...

I change my oil for every race event and every 2500 miles... PERIOD... and that's with premium Amsoil...

There is no variance from that... People will gripe and complain that the turbos are at fault, or the blower is at fault or anything to point blame from their own shoddy maintenance....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Making 700hp I would expect no belt issues. Try to make 1200rwhp and then talk about belt issues.

Any of the issues you list are not an issue for most of the turbo kits available.

I know at least 5 people who went from Ysi or F1R/A to TT kits, all said it was the best thing they ever did. More low end, adjustablility, etc. Seeing how the OP has a built 416 and looking at a F1A or upgraded turbos, I would say he isn't planning on staying in the 700-800rwhp range.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Twin2010

Drives: 2010 twin turbo ss
I would go turbo hands down. The sky is the limit with turbos. Way more manageable for street driving and street racing. The turbo cars drive and sound like a stock car. They aren't loud and obnoxious like a blower. Once you ride or drive in a car with turbos you would understand and never want anything else.
Twin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote