Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Z/28 - Limited Production Run or as many orders as they can fill?

Since we have estimates on what the price range will be , what do you think that GM should do? Limit the production run to say, 2000 units per year, or like the ZL1, as many as they can produce/ordered - which then it would not be a limited production car. I think it will be in the same regards as the ZL1, only that with the predicted price range, it might not have as much of a demand.

The LS7 engine is said to have limited availability since it is a hand-built engine, but GM has not announced what and how many are available to put into the Z/28, at least to my knowledge, and this will have an impact on the amount that they will produce. Let's open the discussion and let's try not to get too far off topic.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 03-28-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
At approximately 150 LS7 engines built in a week equates to 7500 LS7 engines in a year so it's possible there could be approximately 7500 Z/28's built per year. That's slightly more than 2 cars per dealer in the USA ( 3084 USA Chevy dealers ). Frankly I doubt there will be a demand for that many. Only the very well heeled will purchase this car, someone who can afford to purchase teh car and park it in their collection. It will be near $65K plus options plus GG tax PLUS the big one, dealer mark up. I don't see any of these cars selling for less than 80K. And I bet the lion share of them will never see the street let alone a race track, they are going to become garage queens unfortunately.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
GM is capable of producing a good amount of vehicles if they so desire, but the question remains, will they? I would agree that a majority of buyers will see limited track time with them, but there will be those that have the deep enough pockets and the desire to race that will get the most attention in the first year or so. I'm sure there will be plenty of youtube video's on the car after it is released and sold to the public. These are exciting times for car enthusiasts, especially for GM fans.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Well, just like it took about 9 months to ramp up ZL1 production, they are allowing themselves a similar timeline for this one ("Available Spring '14", as per brochure). And recall there was a backlog, initially, and much moanin' and groanin' over ZL1 production/distribution.

Pricing will separate the serious from the wishful, and my sense is fewer Z/28s will arrive @ Anytown Chevrolet than were/are ZL1s...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well, just like it took about 9 months to ramp up ZL1 production, they are allowing themselves a similar timeline for this one ("Available Spring '14", as per brochure). And recall there was a backlog, initially, and much moanin' and groanin' over ZL1 production/distribution.

Pricing will separate the serious from the wishful, and my sense is fewer Z/28s will arrive @ Anytown Chevrolet than were/are ZL1s...
The reveal said that is wasn't coming until the fall of this year, and too that it does sound like it will be built in limited numbers. It's been stressed by many of the high ups that this car isn't for everybody. So that tells me that they won't be building many.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
We have to see how soon GM decides to put the LS7 into the new Corvette. The Z/28 is intended to be, as the original Z/28 was intended to be, a weekend racer that could be driven on the street. I see the ZL1 as a daily driver unlike the Z/28. Initially the Z/28 will sell to collectors but then taper off to those who want it for autocrossing on the weekend. It's a specialty car. I also think the price will fall right in between a 2SS and the ZL1.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

There's a discrepancy in the Press Release...in several areas...but the brochure is "hard copy", proofed...and believeable...as per the ZL1 experience. The ZL1, from reveal at Chicago to initial shipping (before QC delay), was almost a year to the day.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...ok my sarcastic head rears itself once again. What will be harder to obtain? A 2014 Spring availabilty 2014 Z/28 with a handbulit Bowling Green LS7 motor, or a set of hens teeth?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

...yes...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
We have to see how soon GM decides to put the LS7 into the new Corvette. The Z/28 is intended to be, as the original Z/28 was intended to be, a weekend racer that could be driven on the street. I see the ZL1 as a daily driver unlike the Z/28. Initially the Z/28 will sell to collectors but then taper off to those who want it for autocrossing on the weekend. It's a specialty car. I also think the price will fall right in between a 2SS and the ZL1.
There will be no LS7 in the C7. The Z28 will be the priciest of Camaro's.

I think that anyone that wants and can buy one will be able to get one (but not on day1).
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
At approximately 150 LS7 engines built in a week equates to 7500 LS7 engines in a year so it's possible there could be approximately 7500 Z/28's built per year. That's slightly more than 2 cars per dealer in the USA ( 3084 USA Chevy dealers ). Frankly I doubt there will be a demand for that many. Only the very well heeled will purchase this car, someone who can afford to purchase teh car and park it in their collection. It will be near $65K plus options plus GG tax PLUS the big one, dealer mark up. I don't see any of these cars selling for less than 80K. And I bet the lion share of them will never see the street let alone a race track, they are going to become garage queens unfortunately.
Ed M.
^^^ THIS IS CORRECT ^^^

Hand built engine restricts production. The demand for an $80K Camaro will be limited. I'll take a stab and guess total 2014 Z/28 production will be less than 4,000 units.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...yes...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
OldScoolCamaro

...all LS motors are dead and gone for 2014 'Vettes. Now, we get the leftovers. Sometimes, it's good to be the scavenger...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Hey Lowdown! Guess Al read your email to have that LS7 held over for an extra year or two huh?