Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
boss88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS M6 IOM
AEM OR Injen long tube with rain shields ?

hi everybody,

im trying to purchase a CAI and i see that the best two are Injen or AEM long tube cuz they have the most HP but the only thing or problem is the water or rain, i live in Michigan and it rains alot in the winter beside snowing, i know both companies make some type of cover for the filter like Air Filter Wrap or Hydroshield that suppose to protect it , now does any of these work 100% with the filter rain shield ?

what you guys think should i do AEM OR Injen long tube , or just get a short tube cuz non of these will work even if i put the rain shield ?

thanks
boss88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
NightRiderRS

Drives: Black RS
I love my injen long tube! Expecially when i hammer down and hear the whistle from the suction of the intake. I live here in TX so we dont see too much rain but ive never had a probleme with mine in 20k miles of owning it. The filter sits directly behind the driver side fog light and is almost completely surrounded by the bumper. If your worried about suckin up water get the hydroshield. Pleanty of people here on the forum have put the hydroshield under the water faucet and not one drop came through. Trust me and all others who have it, you will love it.
NightRiderRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Patrick864 RS

Drives: 2011 CGM IPF Supercharged LLT
Not many people really have AEM on here for some reason...and I am one of those people. I honestly have heard of one other person that had AEM. I don't know real gains...but expect to see a whole lot of Injen supporters on here. Not saying Injen is bad, I just couldn't pass up the price for my AEM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
boss88
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRiderRS View Post
I love my injen long tube! Expecially when i hammer down and hear the whistle from the suction of the intake. I live here in TX so we dont see too much rain but ive never had a probleme with mine in 20k miles of owning it. The filter sits directly behind the driver side fog light and is almost completely surrounded by the bumper. If your worried about suckin up water get the hydroshield. Pleanty of people here on the forum have put the hydroshield under the water faucet and not one drop came through. Trust me and all others who have it, you will love it.
so u think i should get it lol , cuz somebody has brand new one for 170 $ !! and i wana get it so bad lol
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
boss88
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick864 RS View Post
Not many people really have AEM on here for some reason...and I am one of those people. I honestly have heard of one other person that had AEM. I don't know real gains...but expect to see a whole lot of Injen supporters on here. Not saying Injen is bad, I just couldn't pass up the price for my AEM.
i think they are exactly the same because the HP gain and the shape that its made , i dont care if its AEM or Injen because i believe they are the same just price diff.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
AdamChoudhry

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Injen all the way. Definitely get the hydro shield for piece of mind.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Patrick864 RS

Drives: 2011 CGM IPF Supercharged LLT
Yeah well the Injen for that price is a steal...I would get that in a heartbeat. I got my AEM for around that and that's the only reason why I bought it. Even though I wanted a CAI intake or whatever lol
Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
I personally ran a few intake on my camaro from AEM long tube to vararam twice. In the end I ended up going back to vararam. So there's my recommendation but in no way is AEM brute force a bad intake

Never had an issue with water either. Putting a shield around your filter will avoid any "possible" water intake but will also draw in less CFM.

Jay

-------------------------------------
Jay@Velocity Port/MACE USA
Direct Email: Velocityport410@Gmail.com
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
I have an Injen and a hydroshield and i have gotten water into my engine.

So it can happen

If i could get another intake i would buy the vararam

save your money up a bit and buy it...worth the wait (according to the various reviews i have read)
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss88 View Post
hi everybody,

im trying to purchase a CAI and i see that the best two are Injen or AEM long tube cuz they have the most HP but the only thing or problem is the water or rain, i live in Michigan and it rains alot in the winter beside snowing, i know both companies make some type of cover for the filter like Air Filter Wrap or Hydroshield that suppose to protect it , now does any of these work 100% with the filter rain shield ?

what you guys think should i do AEM OR Injen long tube , or just get a short tube cuz non of these will work even if i put the rain shield ?

thanks
I didn't see AEM listed for the 2012 V6 so I went with Injen in wrinkle black. Both work with the shield installed. I think the AEM is better designed. The MAF location looks lower and their washer bottle cap seems more secure. On my Injen I have to unplug the MAF if I need to remove the engine cover. I've tried adjusting the intake the best I could but fitment is tight. I've noticed my washer bottle cap seems to pop open-maybe I need to have less fluid, I don't know. I also put this rubber spacer where the intake could rub against metal. I think the AEM support bracket is closer to the filter while the Injen is higher and not as stable.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
boss88
Account Suspended

im not goin with either of the intakes , when i jacked the car at the shop to install my cat back system i notice that where the intake filter should sit there is an opening to the ground and theres no way in hell you wont get water in it even if u have shield so im goin with a short ram system , probl K&N cuz of the price