Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #295
Tecca

Drives: ...
Hmmmm, I really like the ABL on the door handles, I have to look into that one.

Nice find though guys, but I still think there are going to be issues with space, unless you modify either then trim or dash.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #296
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
So you are saying that you mods don't believe all the things that come out of the mouth of GM, Like a lot of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
Hmmmm, I really like the ABL on the door handles, I have to look into that one.

Nice find though guys, but I still think there are going to be issues with space, unless you modify either then trim or dash.
Please keep us informed, and thanks to all who are posting in this thread. I think A LOT of people are going to find this interesting

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #297
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
shame the lacrosse parts dont come in orange
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #298
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
here is a picture of the left side dash panel from a 2010 Lacrosse removed and lit up.
But I think Teccboxx is right about the lack of room behind the Camaro trim. The tube is approx 8mm thick and encased in the trim, so I could not really measure it without breaking the trim.

Last edited by R6P; 08-27-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add description
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #299
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Maybe having it in the doors was too distracting for driving at night!

They put it in the Buick, but not in the Camaro and then we get an explanation that it's going to be distracting. INCREDIBLE.

Ok...mod rant over.

back to your post reading.
Quote:
So you are saying that you mods don't believe all the things that come out of the mouth of GM, Like a lot of us.
TAG, who from GM gave that as the official answer?

If it was, the easy fix would be tone down the brightness level.

I remember it being discussed in meetings...............distracting wasn't the problem.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #300
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I remember it being discussed in meetings...............distracting wasn't the problem.
First thank you for all you do, Next can you let us know why no light in the dash?.

And i will get the parts on Friday from digi-key but i don't have a lot of time so maybe on Sunday, I know i know what do i got to do, First thing is an alignment after lowering the car 2 1/2" in the rear and 2" in front got to do an alignment, Next if it makes it i got to put on the Vararam and take pics and send out like 40 PM to guys that want more info on it, And on Saturday
Drive to LA to meet the guys at the meet, And bring my front strut for "newgenss" so if i got some time i will do some test and let you know.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #301
R6P

Hey Number 3, like that pic... That you Wilson?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #302
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
If i recall correctly it was that the dash ABL didn't pass the extreme heat tests.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #303
rharon

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS/RS
changing the light color in the lacrosse should be easy. But I believe that its a bulb. I also dont thinK it will fit behind the dash. I know that 2ssrs has the caddy parts coming. I hope they are a small size tube.

Last edited by rharon; 08-28-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #304
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
I asked this question during an IDL, and posted the repsonse some time ago - it was due to glare / safety issues.
Number 3 has said glare.safety issues wasn't the reason for no ABL on the dash as far as she as heard in the meetings while she was testing the cars... I believe Scott "Fbodfather" said it was a over-heat issue causing a melting or discoloration in the dash over long road trips with the test cars with ABL. It would be interesting to know the reason so it could be something to look out for for the DIY ABL happening in this thread.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #305
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Did you see how I had a freaking atomic meltdown when we were told no ABL in the dash?...
found this one really quickly...post 51
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...929#post220929
post 104
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...068#post222068

or how we were going to have B-Pillars added after seeing all the pix of a true coupe concept? Holy hell, Batman...I got a nice little PM (from GM) telling me to REMOVE my post from Z28.com...Yeah.... I tell ya right now. NO. We, the mods, do not always agree. But, that's the best part about having US here..... Without US (all 15,500 of us) GM would NEVER get the feed back so easily as they do by reading our pages.
Quote:

I AGREE 100%!!!
Ask and ye' shall receive!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessk View Post
Also, it could possibly mess with your night vision on open roads and highways without street lights.
THIS is one of the reasons it does not go across the dash ---

There are others.....

We did not drop the Ambient Lighting on the I.P. to upset customers.....

.....and keep in mind that we, too, are enthusiasts.
However, I thought this one was better...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/newrep...reply&p=716913
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Oh - how I WISH stuff didn't get leaked....and I WISH that stuff could be kept in strict confidence................
.............but let us go back over the past couple of years on this site alone..........
............................ain't gonna happen...........

I agree 200% with you -- but based on history - ain't gonna happen.......

In the age of the internet, nothing is 'safe' anymore --

Seriously - we DID want to execute Ambient Lighting across the dash.

(...think about it - why would we purposely show something and then just drop it? -- )

Part of the problem was the distraction at night. I'm here to tell you that it was very distracting.........

Another issue: When accelerated testing was done, you could see 'into' the IP and some of the attaching points.

As I said earlier in this thread -- WE, TOO, are Enthusiasts -- and WE, TOO wanted Ambient Lighting.....but we also know that you have high expectations - and if something isn't going to come out right, then it's wise to say "OK -- we're not going to delay production - and we don't have all of the issues solved, so we're not going to offer it."

Now - there will still be some that want to keep complaining -- and that, I guess, is their perogative -- but I'm trying to explain the "WHY" of no ambient lighting.........
Hope this helps..... I'm just quoting what was posted as one of the reasons it was nixed. Yes, I know that light was not coming out clean from the ABL after heat testing and the dash "moving" simulating being in the sun/heat for long periods of time.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=140
Quote:
CTS has lighting on the dash. Light pipe across the I/P and through the doors.
So...it's distracting was one reason. Fine...cool by me. I agree 100% with you in the sense that WE can turn it down should we choose when driving. That is the way I think it SHOULD have been. Anyhow...I have no idea what my point was after all of this....

EDIT: sorry bout the rant...

My point was...I hope ABL comes available. And I REALLY hope 2SSRS comes up with a solution. I've just got to have it!

Quote:
First thank you for all you do, Next can you let us know why no light in the dash?.

And i will get the parts on Friday from digi-key but i don't have a lot of time so maybe on Sunday, I know i know what do i got to do, First thing is an alignment after lowering the car 2 1/2" in the rear and 2" in front got to do an alignment, Next if it makes it i got to put on the Vararam and take pics and send out like 40 PM to guys that want more info on it, And on Saturday
Drive to LA to meet the guys at the meet, And bring my front strut for "newgenss" so if i got some time i will do some test and let you know.
Make that 41 PM's!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #306
R6P

Here's a larger size picture of the Buick dash, sorry cel-phone shot,
Old 08-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #307
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
TAG UR IT
Thank you for to mach info,LOL You will be the 2nd PM after Vararam.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #308
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

I might have a had a couple too many margaritas last night...hehehe

I remembered getting miffed when we were told no ABL and it allllllll started coming back to me...

Hope Number3 takes no offense. Wasn't meant that way. I just remembered one of the reasons being given and I said the same thing...."just have a dial to turn down the ABL for night driving OR...make it to where the light is turned off automatically when the vehice is put in drive or goes over 2 mph. There are easy fixes. I just want to add my ABL

2SSRS, let me know waht you come up with. I'm all ears, buddy.

Closed Thread

Tags
abl, dashboard