Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
18/19 inch staggered set up

Has anyone tried a setup similar to a corvette? A 18/19 or 19/20 setup? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to it? Just wondering because after talking to a couple guys at a performance shop, I was led to believe I should never expect much traction on a 20 inch wheel setup. I've been running Michelin PSS for almost 2 years now and I love em, but they have given me no luck from a dig in street races. Warm and 28psi I'm still spinning through 3rd. I dont wanna go to DRs because I drive it everyday, so any suggestions on a different tire or wheel setup?
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
There really is no advantage to the different rim sizes other than shifting more weight toward the rear. If you weigh the tires and rims you will find the rears are heavier than the fronts.

It is very hard to launch a car with 580 hp... especially when it weighs over 4000 pounds. The only real solution is to put on a tire that will give you more grip. They will wear faster and may have some other performance flaws. Michelin PSS are about the best all around tire you can buy, if you want more dry grip you can run a toyo, that is about it on the stock rims. You can mount a drag radial if you don't corner aggressively.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote