Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Open question to dealers regarding paint discrepancies

I don't know if any person from a dealer can answer this or not, but I was hoping someone might have known if there have been any owners coming in with the variation in paint (see: plastic molding being very off-colored from sheet metal) issue and getting warranty work done.

I understand that due to the application the paints are different and a 100% match is often unlikely don't get me wrong, but I would at least like it to be closer so that other people aren't able to casually walk up and say "Hey, your car is two different colors" - unless their talking about my stripes. If anyone has any input on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
this has been a problem for some since day 1. whoda thunk that painting aluminum, steel, fiberglass, and plastic might result in different shades of the same color. i think us black car drivers are the only ones who escaped this issue.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
The Viz

Drives: Everything
go on to any lot and look at Malibu's, Impala's, CTS, heck any car and you'll see it. Some colors are worse, and with the angles, it can be very noticeable on the Camaro. It's not a warranty issue, sorry

Alot of times, it's this -

Quote:
#09-08-51-004: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance - (Sep 10, 2009)
Subject: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance
Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

On the 2010 Camaro, the shade of paint on the doors may appear to be different than the shade of paint on the quarter panels. This appearance varies in severity based on different viewing angles and light conditions. This perception is more apparent with certain colors. Use this bulletin to help the customer understand the design of their vehicle.

Paint Process
At the time of vehicle manufacture, the complete sheet metal body of the car is painted at the same time (the body, hood, decklid and doors). The panels (doors, hood and decklid) are attached to the vehicle and in the proper position when it goes through the plant paint process. All of the panels receive the undercoat layers and top coat finishes using the same material, application process and final bake process. This continuity of process ensures a uniform paint application to the entire vehicle. The result of this extensive process is a seamless paint match over the entire vehicle. The only major exterior panels that do not get painted during this process are the bumper fascias. The bumper fascias receive a flexible paint application using a unique process. All of the paint used in the paint process is matched to a paint color standard, ensuring that the colors are consistent from batch to batch. This color standard also ensures consistency from vehicle to vehicle.

Vehicle Design
On the Camaro, the door to quarter panel angle match is the design intent. The geometry of the quarter panel provides a sporty definition and highlights the depth of the design. It is intended to show the color variation created by angling the body panels a few degrees.

Addressing Customer Concerns
Use the following photographs and descriptions to demonstrate to the vehicle owner that what they are seeing on their vehicle is not a color mis-match, but a intended design feature.

This first photograph shows a paint test panel finished in "Wildfire" metallic. The white arrow points to the paint "standard". This is the paint sample used to ensure color consistency.

This photograph shows the same paint test panel with a slight crease in the center, creating an angle in the panel similar to the Camaro door to quarter panel relationship. The finish on the right side of the panel has "shifted", creating a different hue of the same color. Note the arrow shows the paint standard on the left side of the paint test panel in the same position as the first photograph.

This final photograph shows the same paint test panel described in the second photograph. In this photograph, the arrow points to the same paint "standard" used in the first two photographs but it has been repositioned to the right side of the paint test panel. Note the paint "standard" has shifted along with the finish on the paint test panel.

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
I like how everyone is referring to the TSB.

Quote:
On the 2010 Camaro, the shade of paint on the doors may appear to be different than the shade of paint on the quarter panels.
This doesn't have anything to do with either of the two. It has to do with the plastic pieces being noticeably different than the sheet metal. It doesn't matter what angle you look at them, they still have a yellow hue. So no, it isn't the angles (in the sense the angle you're viewing them) that the TSB is addressing.

In the end, I supposed it's VERY disappointing that buying a car could have this issue. Not all cars have this problem and yet those that do just have to 'deal' with it.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
The Viz

Drives: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I like how everyone is referring to the TSB.

This doesn't have anything to do with either of the two. It has to do with the plastic pieces being noticeably different than the sheet metal. It doesn't matter what angle you look at them, they still have a yellow hue. So no, it isn't the angles (in the sense the angle you're viewing them) that the TSB is addressing.

In the end, I supposed it's VERY disappointing that buying a car could have this issue. Not all cars have this problem and yet those that do just have to 'deal' with it.

Like I stated before the TSB, all vehicles that have a mixture of composite and metal body panels suffer from this. I'm sitting at my desk right now and looking at a new CTS coupe and it's extremely drastic because of the huge back bumper, but it's the nature of the beast. I look at Chevys, Cadillacs, and Nissans all day long and it's prevalent in all of them. I quoted the TSB as well as there are several reasons people think that Camaros are different colors, and if you read the beginning under "Paint Process" it explains to you the reasoning for the difference in color due to the underlying materials.

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote